Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Linux] Spotify 0.8.8 for GNU/Linux

Solved!

[Linux] Spotify 0.8.8 for GNU/Linux

Update: Spotify for Linux v0.9.4 is now available. See here.

Hi everybody!

Today we pushed the latest and greatest Spotify client to our repository. This time you're getting the good stuff first, this version has only been rolled out to a small percentage of Windows/Mac users. It contains some of the features that were presented on our recent press event, such as being able to follow artists and tastemakers. Have a look at the brand new Follow page, where you can find interesting artists and other people to follow. You'll get updates on their activity, such as newly released albums etc.

As for Linux-specific fixes, there are some minor bug fixes. The biggest change is the packaging. The client now is installed to /opt and it uses XDG mechanisms to register icons and menus. The executable is now also built without hardcoded paths to libraries. This means that the folder can be put anywhere and just run from there. Unfortunately, this release still depends on libssl0.9.8. We'll try to get rid of that in upcoming releases!

The new client is just a "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" away!

What, you don't already have Spotify installed? Lookie here: http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/

Don't use Debian? Check out these zip packages:

http://download.spotify.com/preview/spotify-client-linux-0.8.8.323.gd143501e-i686.zip

http://download.spotify.com/preview/spotify-client-linux-0.8.8.323.gd143501e-amd64.zip

Edit: updated to include the zip packages.

265 Replies

Yes, Spotify 0.8.8 segfaults on exit. For me, it doesn't seem to affect anything, but it's definately not a very clean way of exiting a program... If you don't need the new follow feature, I think you will be happy with 0.8.4. It's generally faster and more stable (on all platforms). Though I really like that with 0.8.8 Spotify released it to Linux users first.

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

I just installed the lastest version from the repo on Ubuntu 12.10. No issues during the installation but when I open the client I have a white box with a circling indicator that I can not get rid of. I can click behind it but I can not play anything.

Here is my logs from starting the app - http://pastebin.com/pHpW1YF3

Is it just me... or does the spotify linux program does not catalogue the metadata of all your local files? It seems almost random in that most albums have correct metadata... and the rest, a seemingly random collection, show up only with a filename in "Track" and the time - no artist or album info. Despite the fact that they have perfect metadata.

Am I missing something here?! IS there some magic? All are compatible mp3s.

The latest Version crashes by dragging titels to personal playlists here.

System: opensuse 12.2 64bit  Spotify 0.8.8 323

Would be great if we could get a rpm repository of the spotify client, too

They have released version 0.9 for Linux as well! Upgrade your system 🙂

Upgrading as we speak!

EDIT: All running smoothly on Ubuntu 13.04 and it appears I can drag and drop without a crash at the minute!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Strange... it running perfectly on my Ubuntu 13.04...

Running the recently launched 0.9.0.132 on a fully updated Ubuntu 13.04 stack.

Whenever I access the Soundrop app (here), and click on the right arrow in Featured Rooms, Spotify segfaults. Can't tell if it's specific to my system, so looking for confirmation. If logs are required, I'll gladly provide if someone guides me through it (is there a log file in a n hidden folder on ~?)

Is there any sort of official changelog? I see the new logo, bigger fonts and bigger layout in list views, and that drag and drop isn't crashing Spotify. 

Can confirm that soundrop issue on my Ubuntu 13.04 machine, let me PM some people and see if I can get those release notes posted or something!  

Peter

Peter

Another minor update released: try it now! 🙂

Been pushed to 0.9.0.133 still soundrop issues 😛 

Peter

Peter

Hi, everybody!

We just pushed 0.9.0.133 to our public repo. Read more here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Announcements/Spotify-0-9-0-for-GNU-Linux/td-p/392806

I upgraded to version 1:0.9.0.133.gd18ed58.259-1 and removed ~/.cache/spotify and ~/.config/spotify

I opened Spotify, started a song and instantly got

06:51:32.145 E [watchdog.cpp:175 ] Deadlock detected (Thread: network)
06:51:32.146 E [watchdog.cpp:175 ] Deadlock detected (Thread: gui)

0.8.8 at least allowed me to listen for a minute or so...

Spotify 0.9.0.133 does not run on RHEL 6.4:

spotify: symbol lookup error: /opt/spotify/spotify-client/libcef.so: undefined symbol: gtk_widget_get_realized

That probably means the gtk2 package on RHEL is too old:

% rpm -q gtk2
gtk2-2.18.9-12.el6.x86_64
gtk2-2.18.9-12.el6.i686

I have found a workaround to make spotify 0.9.0 start on RHEL6. It is no option to simply upgrade the gtk2 package as too much depends on it. That's why I have placed a newer version of gtk into the spotify directory.

I took the glib2 and gtk2 packages from Fedora 15. They are new enough for spotify and not too new for RHEL6's version of glibc. Then I have extracted the relevant libs:

rpm2cpio glib2-2.28.6-2.fc15.x86_64.rpm | cpio -id

rpm2cpio gtk2-2.24.4-1.fc15.x86_64.rpm | cpio -id

Then I have copied these to the spotify dir:

cp -pr lib64/libglib-2.0* usr/lib64/libg*x11* /opt/spotify/spotify-client

Yes, Spotify is built with the rpath set to $ORIGIN, which means you can build or otherwise get needed libraries and put them (or symlink them) right next to the binary.

Drag and Drop does still not work, plus when clicking on tracks in the Activity-Bar, Spotify crashes. The rest is ok, thanks for the album mosaic bug fix!

I get the crash when clicking on tracks too. I will look into it. A workaround is to press the play button so it starts playing, then go to the album from the Now Playing area.

This thread should be renamed to "Spotify for GNU/Linux" (version independent) to avoid confusion, or move the new 0.9 thread from announcements to here and make it sticky.

We need a sticky thread for Linux users, or it will drown among Windows and OS X stuff.

Any mod up for the task?
SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

Yes i would appreciate to move the thread, i am enjoying spotify for Ubuntu since several weeks, its just crashing when i  drag and drop songs to a playlist,hope this will be fixed also.

cheers great work

Suggested posts