Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

My speakers and computer sound work fine but spotify makes no sound when I press play

Solved!

My speakers and computer sound work fine but spotify makes no sound when I press play

Other programs such as Windows Media Player will play sound when I press play however Spotify won't and I was wondering what was wrong. My speaker and computer sound configuration settings haven't changed but it just stopped working!!!! Help Please.

Simon Harris
40 Replies

That GD volume mixer!! This has been bugging me forever. thank you!

I have a new computer with windows 8, with same external speakers i have used with earlier computer. Everything else is working fine, but no sound in spotify. I have tried everything recommended here - uninstall, mute, unmute etc. Nothing helps. I can even see Spotify playing in volymebar, but no sound! What to do?

Hi. Could you just check out the FAQ to see if there's anything there you haven't tried.

I have tried all in FAQ. The speakers work fine with all other programs on the computer.

Perfect... this did it for me. Not sure what happened there but the sound was just not coming through the speakers as normal. I could hear it but very quietly. Mute and un-mute put it back to normal 

**bleep** me too!!

The volume mixer thing worked for me too, thanks!

I had this problem on Windows 8.

The Windows Volume Mixer showed that Spotify was UNMUTED and I could see the Level Meter moving up and down to the music that was playing in Spotify but no music was coming out of the speakers.

To fix, I simply MUTED spotify in the Windows Volume Mixer then immediately UNMUTED and the problem was resolved.

I'm not sure if this problem is due to the way Spotify handles playback or whether it's a problem with the Windows Volume Mixer in Windows 8.

Hopefully this will help someone resolve a similar issue.

Kind Regards

Option

Same, muted and unmuted though it wasn't muted in the first place, fixed it.

This actually worked lol x)

thanks a lot i was ttrying to do something for 1 week...

I have Windows 8, and I tried restarting, muting, reinstalling, etc. None of the FAQ suggestions worked for me, but this did: 

Right click on your speakers. Go to the Playback tab, and select your speakers (mine are called Conexant). Hit the "Properties" button. Go to the Advanced tab and check the box that says "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device." I got sound after that. 

There's no speaker icon on my taskbar.. HELP 

@sspark806

Hello:

What version of Windows are you currently running?

Same thing happened to me... just do the latest update for it!

If you using the Spotify platform, look at the bottom near the volume control (on the platform--not your computer). Does it say "APC" or "You are listening on APC"? If so, try clicking on that and switching to "This computer."

After restarting and changing some preferences around, nothing worked. Until I switched from APC to listening on the computer. I have no idea what APC is, but that's what worked when this happened to me.

Hope it helps someone out there.

-M

THANK YOU!!!

I tried to log out and back on and boom!, problem fixed 🙂

Just solved this on my own computer. Next to volume in the bottom right corner of the screen there is a button that looks like half a monitor with a speaker covering the other half.  This is the "devices" button.  It seems like mine was set to "Spotify Connect"  I changed it to the top option - "This Computer", and can now hear sound.  I think this is a button on both the web player and app.

Now that I think about it, this probably happened because I was listening at work with the same account, so maybe every time you switch computers, you need to reselect that option.  In case spotify devs are listening, this behavior seems unintuitive and I'd suggest making default behavior to always switch this to "this device" whenever a new instance is opened on an account.

Please go to this link and find the second solution second/thomasb2620 (mine):

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Is-it-possible-to-use-spotify-with...

Suggested posts