Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify could not be started (error 17)

Solved!

Spotify could not be started (error 17)

For the past week, I've been un-installing and re-installing Spotify like crazy so I could access new music. This also leads to a problem saying that it "cannot initialize the storage of temporary files".

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I've been reading some solutions in the forum, and we have different options to solve this problem... Hope they work with your issue "Code error 17"

1. In windows, you should try to execute the application with the compability tab checked (Right click in the Spotify Icon, properties, compatibility with Windows XP ).

2. (It worked with me), after any update or after unistall Spotify and to run a new Install it stay stacked, so just execute the Windows Registry (Type regedit in the text field that appears in the Start Menu in Windows 7/Vista), then just go to Edit, and Search... and then delete all the keys you can find with the word Spotify (be careful to don't delete any other that don't say exactly that) and then you also should try to delete the folder "Spotify" created under the user folder in this route C:\Users\CHANGETHISFORTHEUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming.

And it's done... 

Hope it work for you.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

There is a really simple fix to this problem. To fix it... follow these steps:

1. Uninstall spotify (*When uninstalling it, some registry files will not be deleted, therefore creating this problem)

2. Install Ccleaner (Computer cleaner software) to detect the broken or empty files in the registry

3. run the registry cleaner in the software after installing it (about 2-3 times just to be sure it cleans it completely)

4. Go to the Spotify website and download Spotify again.

Now, it should work like normal. By the way, after you get spotify to work, you could uninstall Ccleaner or leave it on your computer. (It is really helpful though!)

Marked as solution

After trying all of the manual fixed I could find for this, and removing all of the directories related to Spotify, I realized that the launcher was still pulling saved data from some source that no one had listed. So I used CCleaner's uninstaller and then ran a full registry fix with CCleaner. Restart the installer, and everything worked just as it should. I should note that I still had the spotify.exe processes as an exclusion in Windows Defender (running Win10), though I don't believe that had any bearing on my issue.

55 Replies

Any solutions?

Marked as solution

I've been reading some solutions in the forum, and we have different options to solve this problem... Hope they work with your issue "Code error 17"

1. In windows, you should try to execute the application with the compability tab checked (Right click in the Spotify Icon, properties, compatibility with Windows XP ).

2. (It worked with me), after any update or after unistall Spotify and to run a new Install it stay stacked, so just execute the Windows Registry (Type regedit in the text field that appears in the Start Menu in Windows 7/Vista), then just go to Edit, and Search... and then delete all the keys you can find with the word Spotify (be careful to don't delete any other that don't say exactly that) and then you also should try to delete the folder "Spotify" created under the user folder in this route C:\Users\CHANGETHISFORTHEUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming.

And it's done... 

Hope it work for you.

It still doesn't work.

And I still can't install Spotify.

hi

i tried your solution. but is didn´t work. and i don´t have a sportify icon to click on.... i had sportify ones in another country but deinstalled it. and now cannot install it again.

I have found a sollusion to the reinstall problem (at least for me)

Right-click on the installer file you have downloaded.

select properties

then unluck the firewall 

the installer was blocked y firewall because its was downloaded from other pc and firewall blockt this.

It worked for me! 🙂 I've been trying to reinstall Spotify for ages, so thank you very much! 

hi.

would you be so kind as to enlighten me..? what do you mean when you say 'execute the app. with the compability tab checked'?

i'm 34. in this setting, i feel like i'm 84 or thereabouts... i'm horrible at computers. if it doesn't work, i don't have the slightest idea how to fix it...

a simple recipe in layman's terms, please...?

regards, j.b. larsen - otherwise a perfectly intelligent man.

@soreide wrote:

hi.

would you be so kind as to enlighten me..? what do you mean when you say 'execute the app. with the compability tab checked'?

i'm 34. in this setting, i feel like i'm 84 or thereabouts... i'm horrible at computers. if it doesn't work, i don't have the slightest idea how to fix it...

a simple recipe in layman's terms, please...?

regards, j.b. larsen - otherwise a perfectly intelligent man.

If you are having issues installing Spotify, try downloading and using the full installer package from this link.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Try disabling your AntiVirus then install Spotify.

Took me weeks to figure out how to get rid of this error but I finally fixed it today.  You have to DOWNLOAD AN OLD VERSION of spotify.  I just googled it and found a download.  Then once it's downloaded you can update it to the current version!

Thought I would post since none of the other solutions on any forums worked for me!

Can you advice me which version are you used ? i download some old versions, but it can not opened in my computer (Win 7)。

this issue almost driven me crazy for few months!

I uninstalled Spotify as it was stuttering (75 Mbps upload) for no reason and this code came up when trying to install Spotify again.  I had to delete the program, restart the system and hit F8 to install it in 'safe mode with networking'.  It downloaded and retarted the computer.  At first an error code 101 (firewall) popped up, but went away after a few mopments and all is well again.

Hello

Here is the simple solution fotr you guys ( and girls )

1) download CCleaner and remove the program and clean your pc / laptop

2) Restart PC

3) download latest version from site ( spotify installer ) place this on your desktop.

4) Go to installer properties

5) Remove block

6) Set compatibility xp service pack 3

7) Run installer

Everything works just fine 😃

Nice day !!

P.S

Using Windows 8 Pro

UAC disabled

Software protection disabled. ( Windows Smartscreen )

UAC can be disabled in user configuration

Windows smartscreen in control panel, maintenance, security.

😃

I had the same problem today. My Spotify app screwed up. It was not able to open it and it said it was already running. I went into the task manager to see if there was anything associated with Spotify. Surely enough the spotify.exe was open. I tried closing it out. It would NOT close. I chose to restart my computer after that. Then, I tried opening Spotify again. Nothing happens. I became fed up and uninstalled the app. It said it successfully uninstalled. It left behind the app data. You can get to the roaming section of Spotify by typing in to the start search %appdata% and look for Spotify. Try to delete that folder. If you can't, try rebooting your computer. Once you have rebooted, quickly go back to the same directory and try once again to delete Spotify. So, I then went to install the lastest version again and was unable to start the installation of Spotify. Feeling hopeless, I went to the forums here and started reading up on error 17. There is no clear cut answer as everybody has different versions of this error, which is ridiculous! I read about installing previous versions of Spotify. Well, this worked for me. I recommend you finding any files and folders that you can before installing another version. I also noticed that trying to install a next to current version of Spotify from the current version did not work and also the versions not so far from the latest. They have too much in common. So, the one I chose worked for me- http://www.filehorse.com/download-spotify/8739/ . This is an old version from 2011 with Facebook integration. So, once you have completed this older installation, you can even update back to the latest. Just go to Help at the top left corner of the Spotify screen and click on About Spotify... Look for something like "an update is available. Click to download." Spotify will tell you as usual that you can just click the restart button to finish the process of updating. The installer box, after Spotify closed, for the next installation almost got my hopes up as it was the same from when it last failed. But, it went ahead and updated. 

Then you should be set! Hope this helps!

I got totally furstrated and am dumping spotify for anther provifoer that was up and running right away.  Really disapointed in spotify.  I paid for 2 accounts, but it wasn't worth it if I can't even use it on my PC. 

I got totally frustrated and am dumping spotifuggle for anther provider that was up and running right away.  Really disappointed in spotifuggle.  I paid for 2 accounts, but it wasn't worth it if I can't even use it on my PC. 

Marked as solution

There is a really simple fix to this problem. To fix it... follow these steps:

1. Uninstall spotify (*When uninstalling it, some registry files will not be deleted, therefore creating this problem)

2. Install Ccleaner (Computer cleaner software) to detect the broken or empty files in the registry

3. run the registry cleaner in the software after installing it (about 2-3 times just to be sure it cleans it completely)

4. Go to the Spotify website and download Spotify again.

Now, it should work like normal. By the way, after you get spotify to work, you could uninstall Ccleaner or leave it on your computer. (It is really helpful though!)

Suggested posts