Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify is playing a different version of some songs

Spotify is playing a different version of some songs

So I found something weird today. I was listening to one of my playlists and a song didn't quite sound right. I went back and listened again and surely enough it's a different version. A subtly different, but definitely different version (some lyrics are removed and it's about 30 seconds shorter). The song is "What A Catch, Donnie" by Fall Out Boy. If you fast forward to about 4 minutes, there use to be some lyrics there that went "where is your married man, I hope he is a gentleman, maybe he won't find out (fade) we're going down down and running around". And now it fades much sooner, and the words after aren't there. 

I could also tell more subtle differences in some other songs, like Bed by Brand New. The words are the same there, but it sounds remixed, like the treble is turned down or something.  Definitely different, but can't quite put my finger on why.

Anyway, I'm using the Spotify Linux client and streaming. I have these songs saved to an offline playlist on my phone. I listened to the version on my phone and it's still the old original version, so I'm not crazy. 

What is this!? Why has my music been changed(in my opinion for the worse)?! 

36 Replies

If you right click on the track is there a "Go to Replacement" option?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I do not have this option. Note I don't have this song in my local library or anything like that

With more investigation of this song I am even more baffled. About 90% of YouTube videos of this song use the "new" version that spotify now plays. I've only been able to find one with the "old" version.

For instance, their official video is the new version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lkJkwnXQZ8

But here is one of the old version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkksLaiF5vo

And if you search youtube for the song, most of what you'll find is the new version. There were two albums with this song on it. I think the song version across each album is maybe different and spotify use to use one for both, and now it uses the other. I'm about to just buy the album and settle this once and for all. I didn't even know there were multiple versions before this. 

Note: This still doesn't explain some other songs being different though. 

Here's a good one. Degausser by Brand New. At about 1:30 on Spotify it breaks off to guitar and plays a different (non-melody) set of notes. And in general the lyrics seem to not be held so long. However, I have a version on my song where at 1:30 it breaks off to guitar and plays the melody set of notes. 

I can't find the "old" spotify version anywhere, at all. I'm not aware of any alternative version of this song either. The new version is uploaded to youtube everywhere. The only place I can listen to it now is on my phone where it's saved offline. And I don't have local versions of these songs at all. 

I'll see if I can record the song playing through spotify and offer a difference view of the two, because they are very obviously different

I think what has happened here is the record label have changed that track (if its the same URI) which is very strange. Its a massive pain because they seem to do what they like with content!

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Omg. I thought I was nuts! Its happened to me also. I was listening to Crazy Town's Butterfly and it sounded.... Awful. It wasn't that version when I added it, I'm sure of it.

I was just listening to Irene Cara's "Flashdance...What A Feeling" and it is definitely a different vocal take and mix from those on the album. It is not a live version as I have noticed on other albums which originally feature a studio version. Anybody know the reason for this? 

About the Irene Cara's song, if you look for the Irene Cara's version, it'll be the original one (I can vouch on this one).

However, a search on "Flashdance what a feelin" goes to a different version...

I had the same problem with Furious 7 - See you again. When searching, I found this "Davies" version which is very different (and sounds bad)

Make sure the artist is the one you're looking for...

The Corrs - Dreams

Not-so-subtle change. Original is so much nicer.

This problem is still occurring and is very annoying. I've checked Allmusic database to confirm the song is correct and Spotify version wrong. The versions of the following two songs now differ from their Discover Weekly versions of a few weeks ago. Ali Farke Toure's Savane  - should be 7 minutes long. Galt Macdermot "Coffee cold" - live version has disappeared. The versions saved offline on my mobile phone are the original correct versions.

When I was listening to my playlist the song "the house that built me" by Miranda Lambert is now the live version. I hate live versions. Every search on spotify now only has the live version of this song. Anyone know how to stop this from happening or how to fix it

Stolen Dance by miky chance as well as Runaway (u & I) by galantis, have both changed to some super crappy versions.  This is super anoying, how can i get my original songs back???

I've had the same problem. After a bit of trial and error I've usually
managed to find the preferred version on another one of the artist's other
albums. 'Live' vs 'not live' is often the issue. Once located I download the
song (offline) to ensure it doesn't revert. Hope this is of some help. Tim

I encountered this today and have definitely encountered this before. I was trying to find the original version of The Isley Brother "Who's that Lady" today (the one in this youtube clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUH2JbwSlgw), and all the versions on Spotify are some weird, {expletive}-up version. More weirdness with "Ring My Bell" by Anita Ward.

And here is another One:

"Katy B - Katy On A Misson" sounds not like it should. Here is the original for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhgMg67hmSQ

And there are many more... It's terrible to hear one's favourite songs in this weird versions 😕 

The song Look At Me just Changed so I googled it to see what's up & I guess this is a legit thing. This really sucks because that song was fire & now I gotta listen to it on SoundCloud.

I'm still having this issue. My first guess is that Spotify has a pay-per-play deal worked out with labels, and as such they swap songs in our playlists to save $$. Some of the swaps are pretty crazy, one of the well known songs that I listen to regularly has been swapped with a song I can only imagine was recorded in a basement by a DJ from a bowling alley... anything to save a buck I guess! $$$

I noticed this first with "Teenage Dirtbag" which was replaced with a censored version, but this time the change is much bigger. I had the song "Kids in america" from the Riverdale soundtrack (performed by the cast) and now the song in my library is the completely different recording by "The Muffs".

I also noticed that when I choose "devices" and play the songs on my computer sometimes the album cover on the phone changes immediately.

Thank god I found this thread!  I've been swapping dacs, amplifiers, headphones, computers, iPads and iPhones!  I've even looked up "the Mandela effect" just in case it was an alternate universe thing.

After donating my vinyl to charity a few years ago I actually had to track down original albums just to make sure I wasn't going mad.

Blue Öyster Cult - Hot Rails To **bleep**.  Completely different on Spotify. That's what started it.  It seems to be 70s rock that is really affected - BÖC, Jethro Tull, etc.

Any solutions?

Suggested posts