Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps stopping - streaming issues - i'm off!!

Solved!

Spotify keeps stopping - streaming issues - i'm off!!

well i hate to say this but after more than three years as a premium spotify user i may be leaving.  due to constant issues with streaming quality things have come to a head and i am trying alternatives.  currently got a 15 day trial to try with a rival.  so far so good no constant pausing like i get with spotify.  a bit different - going to take some getting used to, but for me the constant pausing has become a big issue.  i will still be using spotify as i have almost a month subscription left.  hopefully they can sort their issues in time.  this has been happening for a month or two now so dont hold out much hope.  a shame really, i havebeen a big spotify fan for a long time and drive my frinds mad saying how great it is.  maybe it has outgrown itself - server issues maybe i dont know.  i have 30mb connection and have tried all the tips listed on this community including turning off firewall (?!) and harware acceleration to no avail also tried running in poor sound quality mode - still breaking up/pausing.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The p2p system is unique and a brilliant idea, as said above it contributes a lot to the flawless playback of Spotify, meaning tracks in theory never need to buffer. It also means the more people who are using the service, the better than performance becomes, whilst the opposite is true for server based systems. 

Many ISPs block Spotify without even realising (since they are really aiming to block torrents), there was a case here on the community a while back with Hong Kong broadband pretty much blocking Spotify, one person got in touch with them and it was fixed a few days later. 

If you are having issues with the desktop client and you think it might be p2p throttling related, try the web player and see if it works smoothly for you (since it doesn't use p2p).

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

90 Replies

Problem also may be in your operator.

Possibly which is why i am giving another streaming service a go. If they are ok then i must assume it is a spotify problem. I have my 15 day trial to test it out. Dont get me wrong i love spotify and want to stay but at the moment their service doesnt appear to be working for me.

having ssame issues - and donwloads failing its really starting to annoy i have 9 donwloads left then im trying elsewhere

Its getting worse every day, tracks keep stopping, refuse to start for ages or sound yuck. Come on guys fix the streaming its not working..

I totally agree. For the last few weeks the service has been unusable. Songs stop every few seconds. I too am on a fast connection so the problem is not at my end. I'm going to start checking out rival services too. I would like to stick with Spotify but if this doesn't improve within the next week I am going somewhere else.

Also having the same issues. I still have roughly a month left of subscription. If things don't improve come the end of the month, I will also be off. 

I'm having exactly the same problems. I have e-mailed Spotify a few days ago to inform them of the problem, and to inform them that I will be leaving the service if it's not fixed within the month. £9.99 a month is not justified for a service that doesn't work. Streaming used to work ok (only losing connection sometimes) until about the last month or so, and seems to be getting worse.

I too was a big Spotify fan until this happened. Also I'm annoyed with the fact that the software has been getting progressively worse with more and more bugs such as the "Top Artists" and "Favourites" sections in the "Profile" just not working properly. This was obviously not tested enough before release.

effzed, what other service are you trying out? I'm Grooveshark (the free online version) now but their catalogue is a mess so I won't be paying for that.

Not just me then. I was planning on signingup for a year but will hold off until I'm sure the service is reliable.

Bump. Having the same problems. Very annoying. Three weeks before my subscription renews. If they don't fix it I think i'll try MOG

Been a premium member for about 6 months and I to am having the same issues. Is there a platform to complain to Spotify or do they read these posts and are they actually addressing the issue? I to am thinking £9.99 pm is not worth it?!

Playback is spotty (no pun intended) at best here as well. And no, it's not a problem with my 120 Mbps connection.

I've been having this same issue for months now, and it's the only reason I have not decided to upgrade. It doesn't seem that Spotify cares, or they would have at least acknowledged the issue and told us to hang tight for a fix or something. Ignoring the user base when a major issue like this has existed for as long as it has is a terrible way to run a business. 

After about 6months of using Spotify in NZ it seems the only time this issue occurs is when I'm playing Spotify off my iPhone or iPad via home WiFi and sending it to my stero via Bluetooth.

I don't get the problem when listening to it on iPhone via Bluetooth to car stereo, or just via headphones- (so apologies to Spotify for suggesting it was the service).

So this would seem to indicate the issue is with the WiFi- or Wi-Fi + Bluetooth setup. 

Perhaps someone can shed light on that? ITMT I'll see if it does it when streaming over 3G thru Bluetooth to stereo. That would narrow it down further.

Steve

Same here. It's enough to drive me bonkers. I don't like mog and pandora is even worse. I need to research and find an alternative.

Yup. It's the WiFi + Bluetooth combination that's the issue. Spotify don't claim this will work but would be great if they could get it working.

Spotify can't do anything about the quality of your WiFi or Bluetooth connections, so you're mistaken here I'm afraid.

However I do occasionally get streaming issues too which are definitely on Spotify's side, as Grooveshark and other apps will stream perfectly at the same time, so my connection is not the problem.

I have the same problem in Australia. Streaming through wi-fi simply no longer works.

My other wi-fi streaming, such as internet radio is perfect.

The really annoying thing is that I took great care in compyling a Christmas playlist with spotify that I cannot stream.

The other annoying aspect is that I put in a report of the problem and have received no reply or even acknowledgement from Spotify after ten days.

If it is not fixed soon I will also cancel my premium subscription.

What a shame - it was such a good service. Now appalling, crackly then stops just unlistenable.

What are they thinking of to let a good music service become useless?

Socinus

Suggested posts