Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't play music at all

Solved!

Spotify won't play music at all

Hello, 

Does anyone have a real solution to the fact that spotify doesn't play ANYTHING (neither local nor remote songs). 

I have tried various solutions found on Spotify Community : 

-  Uninstall / reinstall Spotify and Update flash play

-  Update Quicktime

-  Unlick the local files in preferences

-  Change proxy settings

I have been over a month without music and am literally having a depression for not being able to listen to music at work. Plus i'm starting to get annoyed because I have paid a month's subscription for nothing. 

Who thou shalt solve my problem will be sent one kick ass playlist.

Larry

123 Replies

Pardon my noobiness but I cannot seem to locate these folders using search on my computer with Spotify installed.

Manually delete these folders:
~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.Client
~/Library/Application Support/Spotify

Can anyone tell me what the tilde (~) is covering up file path wise?

I'm using Windows 7 so this issue for me isn't Mac OS related.

@djkaion wrote:

Pardon my noobiness but I cannot seem to locate these folders using search on my computer with Spotify installed.

Manually delete these folders:
~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.Client
~/Library/Application Support/Spotify

Can anyone tell me what the tilde (~) is covering up file path wise?

I'm using Windows 7 so this issue for me isn't Mac OS related.

On Windows those corresponding folders are:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Spotify

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Spotify

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Finally got around to completing the clean install of Spotify.

Still getting the same error (playbackError<12>)

Considering I've been unable to get sound out of this program for over two weeks I've pretty much had to move over to Grooveshark to get music.  I'd really like to be able to solve this, but reinstalling Spotify now three times has done nothing to evade this error so I have no choice here.

@djkaion - Would it be possible to try updating your sound card drivers at all? Its worth checking you vendors website for updates since Windows Update is rarely up to date. 

Peter

Peter

Hi, 

I would not recommend looking for sound card updates as you need to be very specific about what you update or you may lose all functioning sound on your computer as I did after Peter suggested this same solution earlier. 

So Peter please take into consideration your previously given advice when giving it to other people, so they don't end up with even more issues then just spotify not playing...

Also could you please contact an someone who works for spotify since I have had this problem for a almost a month and you guys haven't helped at all! I am a paying customer it is not acceptable that no action is taken from spotify! 

See my earlier posts!

Use the online contact formand someone at Spotify can help get this sorted. If you get an automated reply directing you back to the community or to the help pages, make sure to reply to it directly (even though it says not to) to speed things along.

@realitymixx wrote:

Hi, 

I would not recommend looking for sound card updates as you need to be very specific about what you update or you may lose all functioning sound on your computer as I did after Peter suggested this same solution earlier. 

So Peter please take into consideration your previously given advice when giving it to other people, so they don't end up with even more issues then just spotify not playing...

Also could you please contact an someone who works for spotify since I have had this problem for a almost a month and you guys haven't helped at all! I am a paying customer it is not acceptable that no action is taken from spotify! 

See my earlier posts!

I didn't think the sound card was the issue somehow because it used to work before the most recent update.  I'm appreciative for the attempt though but yeah I was just a bit cautious of that.  It's only my work computer which doesn't play Spotify, so I can only try these things when I get time which hasn't been too much lately.

I'll go straight to that contact form.  I didn't realise this was an unofficial forum, thanks to everyone here who tries to help out.

If you get a chance, let us know what happens 🙂

Im geeting it to could it be because im on linux and using it under wine

Hi everyone -

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this issue - as it has been driving me INSANE the last month.  I didn't get to read through the whole thread - but in summary, I am able to play every track perfectly fine on the Web Player - but once I try and play anything on the desktop app - it never plays.  

I've done all the recommended steps in the help overview:

• uninstalling and reinstalling
  • using the Microsoft compativility program
  • re-checked all my Firewall settings

etc etc - but I still can't play anything!  

Just to be as detailed as possible - I shared a screenshot of both to show how the Web Player works and what I see when I open the Desktop.  

I hope you guys can help!

spotify desktop.png
spotify web player.png

@aanderson00 - What operating system are you using? Also, do you ever get any error messages from Spotify? 

Peter

Peter

Hello,

and again there are playlists issues since a couple of days.

I have added albums to my playlists, starting listening to a few tracks of them and then * silence * again. tracks wont start playing

I cleared local files I started trying to play the tracks, but no luck...

Seems spotify have server problems?

Please help Peter!

Spotify are investigating some playlist issues, if you could add your details to this topic that would be awesome. 

Peter

Peter

Put my details in that topic - hopefully it helps someone debug.

I blame this squarely on the last few digits of my current version number.

thanks a lot man, your solution helped me 😉

Marked as solution

I had the same problem, the songs wouldn't star playing at all.

I found a way that fixed it for me though, I rightclicked a song and copied the HTTP link.

Then I started up my browser and put in the link and logged in to my spotify in the web browser.

The song would start playing but I was afraid I would have to do this whenever i wanted to play a song.

Turns out this somehow made my spotify client start working and now everything is fine.

I hope this helped someone 🙂

Just had this problem today.  The solution that worked for me was pretty simple.  I had tried closing and restarting Spotify and that did not help. 

But, I closed it again and this time went into my processes using ctrl+shift+esc and found the process called SpotifyWebHelper.exe and stopped it.  I then restarted Spotify and it worked just fine.  Not sure if it was a fluke that it worked, but it's an easy thing to try if people are still having trouble. 

IF for some reason you have multiple Spotify related processes up when you quit the program, it might help to end them all too.

I had the same problem as you, and as my setup is, I have a headset and some normal speakers. When I doubleclick any song on spotify, It wouldn't start playing, only place the dot on the play slider at 0:00.

THEN, I thought, could it be some error with the speakers, not the player?

So then I went forward by temporary disabling my standard speaker, and guess what, spotify started playing the song on my headset, then I enabled my speaker again and the song started playing on my standard speaker as if there never were a problem! 🙂

That's my solution!

Hi Werzaire.

Thanks for the feedback. That is exactly what the problem was. My USB speakers fall asleep and if they don't wake up, Spotify won't play. Unplugging them and plugging them back in works.

Thanks!

Suddenly nothing plays...its the same over at YouTube as well...Nothing, no music... 

No error messages, nothing...just will not play anything... Suddenly... 

Can't get help... Sorry I signed up.

Suggested posts