Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't play music at all

Solved!

Spotify won't play music at all

Hello, 

Does anyone have a real solution to the fact that spotify doesn't play ANYTHING (neither local nor remote songs). 

I have tried various solutions found on Spotify Community : 

-  Uninstall / reinstall Spotify and Update flash play

-  Update Quicktime

-  Unlick the local files in preferences

-  Change proxy settings

I have been over a month without music and am literally having a depression for not being able to listen to music at work. Plus i'm starting to get annoyed because I have paid a month's subscription for nothing. 

Who thou shalt solve my problem will be sent one kick ass playlist.

Larry

123 Replies

If you get no sound from other sites/apps then it suggests there is something wrong with your PC/setup.. What operating system are you using?

@DonnatellaStar wrote:

Suddenly nothing plays...its the same over at YouTube as well...Nothing, no music... 

No error messages, nothing...just will not play anything... Suddenly... 

Can't get help... Sorry I signed up.

I know it's basic, but have you tried restarting your computer?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

So i have a similar if not the same problem. i downloaded spotify client about 6 days ago and, at first, everything seemed to flow smoothly. but after creating a playlist on my PC (running windows 8), the music stopped playing. this only seemed to affect certain songs but the more i tried the more i began to notice a pattern: ALL SONGS I OWN ON ITUNES DO NOT PLAY ON SPOTIFY CLIENT.

i don't know whether this is linked or if it's related to this local file problem i've also seen forums for, but this only affects my pc. my iphone 5s, damsung galaxy tablet and my dad's mac all run the music smoothly. the only 1 that doesn't share these local files is my dad's mac, and also the browser version runs the music smoothly on my pc. 

anyone have any suggestions as to what the hell is going on here? :s

Marked as solution

Sure @iDuffy234 . Make sure you have the latest Quicktime installed then restart spotify. If you still have problems, you may also need to install additional codecs which you can get here although, usually, Quicktime is all you need.

It seems to be a playback device issue in win 7, i unplugged my USB headset switched over to the default speakers then plugged my usb back in and made it the default and it started working.

Marked as solution

This fixed my problem instantly.  I have a USB audio interface plugged in to play audio through some studio speakers and when I unplugged the USB and plugged it back it Spotify magically started working.  Thanks Apoc!

I'm having the same problem spotify doesn't play at all. How can I solve this problem

@MrApocalyptic - This worked for me! I have win 7 pro (x64) and I was getting frustated with this **bleep** til I tried your solution. You have my +1 good sir.

I had this exact same problem and uninstalling spotify on the device that wasn't working and then reinstalling it and restarting my computer fixed the problem! Best of luck to all of you 🙂

I had a Similar problem. My win 7 64bit would play everything except music played bySpotify. Spotify started and connected normally however when I pressed Play, the song started to play but I heard nothing. Reinstalling Spotify and updating to the latest Quicktime also wouldn't work. Also a Computer restart or switching between headset and speakers didn't help.

My solution was to turn

Hardware acceleration first off, then I restarted spotify, played a song which worked and then turned the hardware acceleration on again.

Enjoy the music!

P.s.: My spotify is in german but I think you'll get what I meant by looking at the picture

Spotify.jpg

Worked for me!

I'm having a simular problem except a message pops up on every song I click saying "Can't play the current track" It does this on every song on the top of the screen and my computer flips through all the tracks in that list trying to find one to play. 

I have the same problem with windows 7 64 bit. I can't play any files because there are not available.

Well, the reason that spotify claimed that track is not available was usb daq. After removing and reconnecting everything works.

Marked as solution

thank you, this solved it for me 🙂

https://play.spotify.com is how you play spotify on your computer. It took me awhile to figure out.

I have a mic that allows pc audio through it. And after I unplugged the mic it usually defaults back to my a/v reciever... well not this time, but double checking the default playback device did the trick for me. 

double check in Control Panel > Sound: When i did this a box came up to say something like ...this sound thing is causing problemd, do you want to correct it. I said yes...and now my music is back to normal.

I've had this playback issue with Spotify desktop version for ages, trying all the solutions on all these threads. Including reinstalling spotify and quicktime, disabling hardware acceleration, disabling high quality streaming, etc. But finally this seemed to have fixed it for me:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Spotify-portable-version/m-p/15598...

Anyone still experiencing this issue, go ahead and try it out and see if helps.

Suggested posts