Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to install: error code 53

Solved!

Unable to install: error code 53

Hi

My work PC just got updated to Windows 7 Enterprise. I started installing all the needed programs including Spotify because I listen to a lot of music at work. However, I'm unable to install. I get this error message:

---------------------------
Spotify Installer
The installer encountered an unknown error.

(Error code: 53)
Retry Cancel

I tried hitting Retry a couple of times. It downloads the installer again and after a few moments I get the same error message again. I couldn't find anything on this error code on Google or Spotify FAQ/forums.

What do I do to make it work?

119 Replies

Yes, CryptoPrevent!

Apology accepted.  I am just thankful that there are moderators and contributors to these forums who have not only the knowledge but the patience to answer questions as well as follow-up inquiries from us less tech-savvy posters.

I was not a Spotify user prior to today but hopefully, with everyone's tutelage, I will be able to change that.  I CERTAINLY would not be one to even think about how or where (other than Programs folder) Spotify or any other app for that matter installs.  I trust that the developers are astute enough to allow me to install and use these packages issue free.  I look at these programs like a hammer or any other tool ...I do not need to know how it works, just that it does the job.  The more I need to become technically astute with any program, the less likely I will be to continue to use it. 

I was interested in a posting on <playlists.net> but found that Spotify was the default playback mechanism.  Hence my interest.

Given that Spotify is not a traditional install, does it require hoop jumping to uninstall if desired?

Good luck with your Crusade!  I, for one, support any effort to get the designer(s) to make installation easier.

Thanks.

Frank

Given that Spotify is not a traditional install, does it require hoop jumping to uninstall if desired?

Nope, uninstalling from Control Panel > Programs and Features will simply remove Spotify and all of its files on Windows. 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

That's a beautiful thing, Peter.

Thanks.

Just downloaded the Installer from the link provided which is saved to my Downloads folder;

Opened CryptoPrevent;

Went to configuration where is allows me to check the box "Whitelist EXEs already located in all blocked locations;

Started to Run the Installer;

Went back to CryptoPrevent, checked the box and hit APPLY;

Then it indicated computer must be restarted to have changes take effect to which I respond NO;

By that time, I get popup indicating Error 17 (again);

No rejoicing (yet)!:

Should I deselect box to "Protect %appdata% / %localappdata% / Recycle Bin

Apply

Restart

Install Spotify (hopefully)

Then go back and reselect box to "Protect %appdata% / %localappdata% / Recycle Bin

???

BTW, should the "Whitelist EXEs" option normally be checked or not? 

Thanks.

You do not have to check anything.  Simply click the bit button that says "Whitelist EXEs currently in all blocked locations."  You only check ones you want to DE-WHITELIST using the "De-Whitelist Checked."  That would be used if you saw a strange looking EXE popup on your list of whitelisted executables.

Did you hear that?  Just me dancing to a "Playlists.net" list of 50 Badass Blues Solos which plays back with Spotify!  🙂

Whitelisting appears as an item on both the "Prevention Mechanism" and "Whitelist Options" screens.  I was trying to use the former when I think the latter is what you were referring to.  I went under the %AppData% section and then Browsed to the apps folder and selected the Spotify Installer and then clicked Allow.  I had done this before reading your last post re blanket approval.  There about 6 other Spotify files listed under the Approved EXEs in various folders under %AppData%.*  Should I leave them?

Thanks again to everyone for their assistance!thumbs up.jpg

Yeap.  I just leave all of the executables I recognize on the list.  No harm in that.  It'll block anything that isn't on that exception list.

Thanks @ondemennen, that worked perfectly!

When is Spotify going to fix their installer? It is ridiculous that this thing continues to install in Appdata without giving any option.

Solution for installing spotify if you don't have rights to run applications from AppData folders:

- create a folder somewhere on your harddrive (eg. c:\spotify_setup) and copy SpotifySetup.exe to it

- open a command prompt (windows key + r > cmd)

- in the command prompt:

set USERPROFILE=c:\spotify_setup

c:\spotify_setup\SpotifySetup.exe 

- wait for the install to finish

- close the spotify login window

- go to c:\spotify_setup\AppData\Roaming and copy the spotify folder to somewhere safe ("c:\Program Files (x86)" if you have write access)

- delete the c:\spotify_setup folder

- run spotify from the folder you moved it to

- enjoy

NOTE: this is still a horrible hack fix because it will leave invalid install paths all over you registry, but at least you'll be able to use Spotify until Spotiy does what it should do and allow a custom install path.

I'll tell you guys what. Been a computer user for many decades. If the imbeciles at spotify want to make me jump through hoops every time I want to upgrade, I have news for them. Deleted. Bye.

Dat worked! This appdata thing with Windows Vista/7 & 8 is for the birds! Of course doing that way in the first place is on Spotify.

mbrio's fix worked for me, after none of the other fixes would. thanks!

I've tried everything. The offline installer worked for quite awhile. However, the last time I used it, it crashed my computer; blue screen and all. Now, when I go to the link, it warns of security issues.

The best solution I found was using Ninite: https://ninite.com/

Works like a charm.

I have GPO setup to prevent exe run in %AppData% folders.

To install I deactivated those.

To run the app with the security on, I tried different syntaxes, also those above, this one worked C:\Users\dieern2Dom\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe -> set to unrestricted, and accept.

As suggested by nando, moving the Spotify folder from AppData/Roaming to another location (I put it in Program Files (x86) where it SHOULD be installed in the first place!) allowed me to run the program.

But, it looks like, judging by others' comments that updates won't work, which makes sense.

I haven't read this whole thread, but if they haven't already, the Spotify team needs to get on this.

Hi mbrio,

I tried your steps and still got the error code 53. There was no AppData\Roaming folder in the folder I created to run the installer. What next?

Cheers,

Greg

Marked as solution

Not sure if people are still dealing with this issue, but here is a REAL EASY fix for the error for Windows 7 Machines. 

1) Run the installer normally. The install will fail with the 'Error Code 53' - That's alright.

2) Click START and, in the search bar, type 'show hidden files'.

3) In the results, click on 'Show hidden files and folders' - This will opena  window. Verify that the 'Show hidden files' option is selected.

4) Navigate to:C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming and locate the newly created Spotify folder.

5) Right click the Spotify Folder and select the 'Cut' option.

6) Back out to C:\Users\<USERNAME> and paste the Spotify folder there.

7) Open the Spotify folder and locate the 'Spotify Launcher'. 

You can launch Spotify from this location and it works fine, (I have it running now, in fact). You may return to this location to start the app, or right click the Spotify Launcher --> Send to --> Desktop and crfeate a desktop shortcut.

Cheers!

I did steps 1-6 without any issue but when I went into the Spotify folder after pasting it there is nothing in the folder. Am I missing something?

Just a shot in the dark here but did you press OK or Cancel on the first error message? If you did then the issue may be that the file is deleted after you pressed the button.

Suggested posts