Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to install: error code 53

Solved!

Unable to install: error code 53

Hi

My work PC just got updated to Windows 7 Enterprise. I started installing all the needed programs including Spotify because I listen to a lot of music at work. However, I'm unable to install. I get this error message:

---------------------------
Spotify Installer
The installer encountered an unknown error.

(Error code: 53)
Retry Cancel

I tried hitting Retry a couple of times. It downloads the installer again and after a few moments I get the same error message again. I couldn't find anything on this error code on Google or Spotify FAQ/forums.

What do I do to make it work?

119 Replies

The options I am presented with are "retry" or "cancel." Either way, the only file that appears during the attempted install is "SpWebInst0." It is automatically deleted when the prompt to either retry or cancel comes up.

Thank you this installer helped me with my Issue with error code 53

If you have this problem just use this URL:

https://download.spotify.com/SpotifyFullSetup.exe

I got it by opening the dumb webinstaller in a hex editor and searching for spotify.com URL's. Worked for me. 

Just ridiculous that Spotify can't ship a working installer. 

Side note, if you download cryptoprevent then spotify stops working just whitelist the spotify location. I tried to reinstall in a new location but was unsuccessful.... What you suggested worked perfect to get it running again

YOU ARE THE BOMB!

same

Re: Unable to install: error code 53

Not sure if people are still dealing with this issue, but here is a REAL EASY fix for the error for Windows 7 Machines. 

1) Run the installer normally. The install will fail with the 'Error Code 53' - That's alright.

2) Click START and, in the search bar, type 'show hidden files'.

3) In the results, click on 'Show hidden files and folders' - This will opena  window. Verify that the 'Show hidden files' option is selected.

4) Navigate to:C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming and locate the newly created Spotify folder.

5) Right click the Spotify Folder and select the 'Cut' option.

6) Back out to C:\Users\<USERNAME> and paste the Spotify folder there.

7) Open the Spotify folder and locate the 'Spotify Launcher'. 

You can launch Spotify from this location and it works fine, (I have it running now, in fact). You may return to this location to start the app, or right click the Spotify Launcher --> Send to --> Desktop and crfeate a desktop shortcut.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

That did it. This is the solution, thanks!

when I try to download spotify I get the 53 error, the folder is being created in :C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming, I have the option on to show all hidden files and this folder is empty when I open it, so it doesn't matter where I move the folder there are no files in it.

I tried using the full installer from here:  https://download.spotify.com/SpotifyFullSetup.exe  and when I do I get the error 17.

What i'm I missing???

It worked! Thanks a lot!

Thanks mate. This worked for me.. 🙂

i fixed problem by going to:  c:/program files x86/foolish IT/cryptoprevent.

this is an application file of about 16 kb.

I opened this file and it allowed me to get in.  it then asked me what level of protection i wanted.

i changed this setting from maximum to NONe.  i then rebooted my computer to let the changes 

take effect.  I then ran the spotify appliction and it downloaded without incident.  once spodified

was downloaded,  i checked to see if spodify ran ok.  all checked out.

I then went back intocryptoprevent and into the box that allowed me to change settings.  I rechecked

maximum prevention, and then restated my computer.  now i have spotify working and full protection

again with cryptoprevent.

Jimmy,

Newer versions of CryptoPrevent give you the ability to whitelist
directories inside the AppData folder. Simply go to the whitelist
manager and add Spotify's directory. Spotify has an update at least
once a month. You'll likely have to disable, update, re-enable, restart
at least once a month if you dont.

Later,
Matt

good heads up, thanks for this info.

jimmy

Thanks that worked!

@Wolfesbain wrote:

Not sure if people are still dealing with this issue, but here is a REAL EASY fix for the error for Windows 7 Machines. 

1) Run the installer normally. The install will fail with the 'Error Code 53' - That's alright.

3) In the results, click on 'Show hidden files and folders' - This will opena  window. Verify that the 'Show hidden files' option is selected.

4) Navigate to:C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming and locate the newly created Spotify folder.

You can launch Spotify from this location and it works fine, (I have it running now, in fact). You may return to this location to start the app, or right click the Spotify Launcher --> Send to --> Desktop and crfeate a desktop shortcut.

Cheers!

I've done every step up until cut and pasting the spotify folder. When i try to open the folder to launch the spotify installer, the folder says it's empty.

I'm having the same issue. Did you figure this out?

Hi everybody,

So, I have tryed to install the SpotifySetup.exe (341KB)

It cod error 53 😞 

I have tryed the procedure  but It Dosnt' work. You could give advide to resolution? 

My PC is windows 10

Thank you so much! 

olfesbain wrote:

Cheers!

Thanks so much for posting this! Linda

god love ye, sir! Only feedback that worked without installing another doo-hickey-gim-gaw! And I didn't even need to get proper authorit-ay! 

Suggested posts