Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to install: error code 53

Solved!

Unable to install: error code 53

Hi

My work PC just got updated to Windows 7 Enterprise. I started installing all the needed programs including Spotify because I listen to a lot of music at work. However, I'm unable to install. I get this error message:

---------------------------
Spotify Installer
The installer encountered an unknown error.

(Error code: 53)
Retry Cancel

I tried hitting Retry a couple of times. It downloads the installer again and after a few moments I get the same error message again. I couldn't find anything on this error code on Google or Spotify FAQ/forums.

What do I do to make it work?

119 Replies

If you copy/pasted it before it was complete then I could see this happening.  This could all be fixed if Spotify just downloaded the web version to the same folder as where you downloaded the original one from their site.  I'm with you all, this needs fixed.  It's sloppy work and there's no reason for it.

Download the full installer 29 mb instead of the silly and faulty webinstaller: http://download.spotify.com/SpotifyFullSetup.exe

Then you can install from any folder you like. The full installer as well is a bit silly imho - it does not work if you try to "Run as Administrator".

Hope this helps

-Berge

Does that installer not always still install to %appdata% though? 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@Peter wrote:

Does using the installer package below help at all?:

http://download.spotify.com/Spotify%20Installer.exe

Peter

This helped me when getting error code 53 when trying to install spotify on my Windows 7 Enterprise work machine.

While I still think this should be fixed, I was able to get the full version to unpack and then copy it to another folder where I could run it.  We will see how this works once there is an update though, I'm guessing I'm going to run into the same problem since the downloader goes to the appdata.

Wow, can't believe this worked!  I used the link you provided to download. As expected, it failed.  I Cut the whole Spotify folder from AppData and Pasted to Desktop.  Then I went into the folder and just ran the "SpotifyLauncher" and logged in.

WHEW!  Thank you VERY MUCH for posting that link!!  I was having to do a uninstall--reinstall because Spotify kept asking me to 'like to install the latest version of Spotify' and THEN when I would... the message NEVER went away... and the 'normal' spotify 'installer' wouldn't work so thank you THANK YOU! 🙂

Being slightly paranoid I'm one of those that have set up my local security policy as recommended by those write-ups.

To get Spotify to run and update I had to create two UNRESTRICTED additional PATH rules under "Security settings\Software restriction policies\Additional rules"

%APPDATA%\Spotify\Spotify.exe

%APPDATA%\Spotify\Spotify_new.exe

It's never been a good developing practice to put executables in the Data folder. After cryptolocker came onto the ransomware scene, it's a fairly BAD practice, but that's it with some people.

Anyway, install CryptoPrevent, it has an easy whitelist manager. you'll probably find it useful not only with spotify.

excerpt from the website:

Whitelist Options

There are a handful of legitimate executables that developers have poorly decided to put in these locations, and the most popular seems to be ‘Spotify’ though there also there are a few remote support applications as well that can run from these locations.  Due to this CryptoPrevent v2 comes with a whitelist editor and capabilities.  From here you can view whitelisted items and add your own manually or via browse button, and also you may choose to automatically whitelist all items currently located in %appdata% / %localappdata% and their first level subdirectories.  Note that manually entered whitelist items may NOT contain wildcards.

I am having the same issue as everyone else and just tried to use the full instaler.  I am now getting error code 17.  Can anyone help me out?

@JrMistMaker wrote:

I am having the same issue as everyone else and just tried to use the full instaler.  I am now getting error code 17.  Can anyone help me out?

Might be worth trying a safe mode install following the steps here

Peter

So I finally was able to uninstal then reinstal via Safe Mode but I still cant open it.  

Am i supposed to move the files out of App data now?  do I Just drag them else where? They won't move back after restart?

Scratch that, boom works again.

Thanks for the help!!

why would an install require safe mode. in W8 i don't even know how to get to safe mode anymore!

still can't install. 

had it on another computer that died, just trying to get going again with same old account.

A simple Google search yielded information about restarting in Safe Mode with Windows 8 as the first result.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Do you have CryptoPrevent installed?  Is that why you cannot install it?

Newbie as of today since Spotify was the playback app referenced for a Playlists.net posting.

Running MSWindows7.

Tried to install and got Error 53.

Tried to install using Installer link and got Error 17.

Yes, I am using Crytoblocker.

No, I do not know how to navigate to folders as was indicated by several posters...nor do I feel the need to learn to use an App.

Please advise.

Crytoblocker will prevent Spotify from being installed I'm afraid unless you can get it to exclude the Spotify folders. 

Peter

How are we supposed to advise if you don't want to help yourself?  CryptoPrevent has the ability to whitelist executables in AppData.  All you need to do is:

1. Download spotify's install from their site.
  2. Open CryptoPrevent (make sure it's the most updated one from the site).
  3. Go to Whitelist > Whitelist Editor in CryptoPrevent.
  4. Run the installer from Spotify.
  5. While it is downloading the actual installer to the AppData location click on the "Whitelist EXEs currently in all blocked locations."
  6. Watch Spotify install and not have a problem installing again.
  7. Rejoice.

We can all agree that the process is annoying and Spotify's use of the AppData folder for the program install is terrible programming but if someone gives you a workaround, you should use it!  Especially when it's only a handful of steps!

Pardon me but your last post just before mine asks the question (of somebody but not me) if they were running CryptoBlocker. If your instructions were provided in a earlier post than that, my apologies for not seeing it.  I was not aware that CrytoBlocker would interfere with program installation as I have not had issues prior.

I AM perfectly willing to help myself if given a nicely detailed procedure such as the you just provided.  I look forward to seeing if I can get Spotify to load with this procedure.

Your quick response to my inquiry is appreciated.

Thank you.

WhiteG37,

CryptoBlocker is not familiar to me.  I think you mean CryptoPrevent by Fooli**bleep**.  I apologize that my last response was brash.  I work in IT and I get a lot of requests for assistance from people who refuse to do a little to help themselves.

There were a lot of people, I fear, who were not aware of how Spotify installed before they started using CryptoPrevent  I, myself, was not aware until I too had problems installing an update after installing CryptoPrevent.  All Spotify would need to do to nullify this problem, and concerns that people might have with programs such as CryptoPrevent, would be to allow users to select the default install location and use the AppData folder for the storage of user-specific data such as settings and other such data.

The steps I posted above, and at another point in this thread I think, came from trial and error, myself.  I'm glad CryptoPrevent incorporated a whitelist to the list of features.  It has saved me white a bit as another program I use, LastPass, has executable information in the AppData folder, also.

Maybe Spotify will heed our call to redesign their installer and this whole ordeal can be put to rest.  However, until they do, I fear more and more people will have problems with installing updates by Spotify.  The good news is that, barring them changing the name of their actual installer that loads from AppData, you shouldn't have to re-whitelist anything in the future.  At least I haven't had to so far.

Later,

Matt

Suggested posts