Help - Desktop (Linux, Windows, Web Player)

Concert Regular
Accepted Solution

What happened to the stars?

Ehhh I'm so confused (and annoyed) right now... why did you take away the "star" and make it a weird "save" button instead? Now all of my 12000 starred songs are in an own playlist and I'm not even able to search after songs and artist (in the playlist)... It used to be library but now it's just a new thing called "saved" where I have 0 songs... why did you guys ruin it all like this? :( 

Solution!
Chosen by mrmindatl (Garage Band)
Local Talent

Re: What happened to the stars?

[ Edited ]

Here's my idea for a way forward. Stars, playlists, and my music collections are all used in different ways. The new "my music" tool is now the hub for "saved" music. Spotify needs to make it easy for users to discover, organize and curate music to their tastes.

Stars, as previously implemented, were great because they were a) one-click easy, b) visible in all artist, album, and playlist views,c) available on all devices/offline, d) social because users could share their starred list, e) provided a timeline of music tastes with the "date added" column, f) exclusivity/curation: stars indicated only the "best" songs in a user's mind.

1. Keep "my music." Users can save songs and albums they enjoy, view the collection, and optionally make available offline (as apparently this feature is coming).
  2. Add back the star column, make it visible in all album, artist and playlist views. This badge of favorite tracks is useful and different from "my music." Make "star" column an optional view.
  3. Enhance "my music" by automatically including all songs added to playlists, starred, and saved. If a user took the time to add a song to a playlist or starred it, they already consider this "my music." This means that all starred tracks get a checkmark, but not all checkmarked songs get a star.
  4. For the next update, add a tutorial walkthrough explaining the new features and how to use "my music."
  5. Improve contrast on the desktop and mobile apps. For example, the new dark design on iOS/iPhone is very difficult to see in bright outdoor conditions.

View solution in original post

Solution!
Chosen by callit (Music Lover)
ccn
Roadie

NO! Needs more STARS!

mario_stars_alt.jpg

Solution!
Chosen by ibburgess (Music Lover)
Roadie

I think I'm gonna leave one more comment on this thread, then try not to post any more. It's sapping my energy a bit.

Basically, I consider this matter closed now - I don't think there'll be any major new developments. Spotify have solved or are solving most of my major gripes. When they release the import feature I'll run that and switch away from stars to 'Your Music'. 

I don't see why the star column couldn't be optional - but it seems reducing clutter is the flavour of the month at Spotify, so until there's a major rewrite of the app, we won't get the stars column back.

But, looking forward, I'm pretty confident I'm going to have to switch from Spotify soon. This update has been an absolute shambles.

1. Completely changing the way music is organised, with no explanation to users who get auto-upgraded - my dad is probably completely lost right now. There's no excuse for this. It's obviously bad customer service and usability - but it's also bad marketing! They had an opportunity to make a big song and dance about the new features. Instead they completely botched it.

2. The design and UI mistakes have been appalling - ticks only shown on hover? Ticks/plusses looking similar and no highlight colour? It's awful. 

3. The update was rushed, and was released incomplete and full of bugs long before it was ready. Beta users repeatedly flagged making Your Music available offline, but it was realeased, there's no excuse for not allowing local music in Your Music, and it's blindingly obvious you shouldn't release a feature like this without an import/transition process. Sharing what's in my 'Your Music' collection with my followers too - that's not something I would've ever launched without. Sharing is a core feature of Spotify! It really seems like the product team were getting huge pressure to launch it _now_, and rather than push back they just released it.

4. The 'Your Music' collection feature is sorely needed, but it seems like they threw it together overnight. As evidenced by the 'ticking the album ticks all its songs' change they're making - it really seems like no-one at Spotify put any thought into it at all.

Basically, I can no longer trust Spotify to get their product right. I think they need a change in product leadership. Someone like a Steve Jobs who has final say over all product decisions, and won't allow crap to be released.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of good news in the new version - the new design is nice, Your Music will probably be great at some point - but the mistakes here, man, those are some BIG mistakes. I'm gonna wait around and see what happens, but I'm not really hopeful for the future of Spotify's apps, particularly on desktop.

Solution!
Chosen by keithrypka (Garage Band)
Garage Band

I'm with guy....this update, despite that fact everything will EVENTUALLY be fixed (aside from the 10k limit and one click playlist usability), this update has proven to me that after three years of being a power user there is some serious incompetence in the project management and design direction of this company and I can't trust them not to feature-tard their system again in the future.

Which is why I quit the paid model last week. I don't want this frustration/arbitrary BS again in a purple years when some new dumbarse is the new design director or project manager.

I love hearing all the hate on this topic though.... So I stay subscribed to this thread.

Looking forward to the next PR blunder from Bonobar and MerryDeath. :)

Vote with your pocketbooks, folks.

Solution!
Garage Band

Awesome that you can tag your own post as a solution....cmon Spotty, you're not even trying to make a decent forum....lol.

Solution!
Garage Band

These mockups are making a mockery of your crud new design as well. Hahahahhaha.

Solution!
Chosen by elbarto (Music Fan)
Concert VIP

[ Edited ]

I've spent a lot of time playing with Your Music and it's fine. It's an okay addition, but it doesn't mesh with they way I've been using Spotify for the past three years, nor does the functionality benefit me in any obvious way. If Spotify is going to try and encourage its base to change 3 year-old habits they might want to at least give them a heads up about it. Incredibly myopic rollout plan on a seemingly rushed version. I haven't seen anyone from Spotify chime in here and say that they're at least listening to feedback which is disappointing. 

As of right now, I've downloaded the Rdio desktop client and have used resp.in to automatically migrate my Spotify playlists into Rdio. I'm going to try out Rdio for a while and see if they don't win my business. At the same time, however, I'd love to see someone from Spotify chime in here and give me a reason to stay. I've been a loyal customer for three years and all it would take from Spotify to keep me around is some acknowledgement.

-edit- typo

Solution!
Roadie

[ Edited ]

My best guess: they've got a whiteboard with 'CLUTTER' written on, and every decision they're making is about reducing that. But then, at the same time they've got incredible pressure from a different place to launch a 'my collection' system that works across all devices.

I bet the desktop apps are at the very bottom of the maintenance pile too. Even getting this update out was probably a push for them. Everyone's working on mobile, tablet and web apps.

If you think about it, most of the complaints we have had don't even exist on the mobile or web apps. The mobile apps have never featured stars as heavily as the desktop apps. Starred has always been more of a regular playlist on those devices (it's the reason I never use them, cause I find Spotify hard to use without stars everywhere). 

I've said it in a few previous comments, but what I want is a strong brand for the Your Music feature. Not just a subtle tick, but a massive loud green icon on every song, album and artist that's in my collection. Their current subtle aesthetic has turned Spotify into a grim sea of dark grey. It needs a splash of bright green or yellow to break it up, and to me a giant "Your Music" stamp would fit that bill.

I've done some mockups to illustrate, please see attached.

Edit: large version available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gh3bygj8otzklz9/Spotify.png

Edit 2: Artist view added and large version here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sq8lemd8x2c6108/Spotify%202.png

Spotify.png
Spotify 2.png
Solution!
Garage Band

I've been following this thread for a while - and there's absolutely nothing I could add that hasn't been said before.

So I'll just quote what some of you smart and passionate people have articulated so well:

passingbat: "Many other popular music services seem to be able to have both a collection tool and a star system, and they happily co-exist together. Why is it impossible for Spotify to do this, and why have they gone against the 'norm'? It's crazy."
"People want to save songs into Your Music, but want something to identify their favourites within Your Music."

schtouf: "For my part, I don't want to migrate my starred tracks to My Music. In real life, My Music would be my CDs or LPs collection. Starred tracks are just my favorites within (and why not, outside) this collection."

This is exactly what I want:

original.jpeg

(thanks for making the mockup, @schtouf!)

If Apple would remove either the stars (ratings) or the collection views (songs / albums / artist) from iTunes, there would be a **bleep**ing riot.

Solution!
Garage Band

I know this is a Desktop forum, but it's about the stars, so I'm going to post this here. 

What Spotify has done with the Stars is astounding. Look at my picture called "Old Spotify".  In the past when listening to a song, I could, with one touch, Star my song, and two things would happen. 1. The song would be added to my Starred list. 2. That song would be downloaded to my device because I have my "Starred" list enabled for offline access on both Iphone and Android. 

Now, when I want to accomplish the same functionality, I have a multi step process:

1. Add the song to "My Music" by hitting the checkmark box.

2. Go back to the song list, select the song, select "add to playlist"

3. Find the playlist that is configured for offline access (starred)

4. Select the playlist

What used to be accomplished in one step, now takes 4, and I'm being conservative with that. 

Unbelievable that this was allowed to be deployed to the user community. 

OLD SPOTIFY.png
Solution!
Chosen by ccn (Roadie)
ccn
Roadie

I think we should all suspend our paying subscriptions until they straighten this **bleep** out. WHO'S WITH ME???

animal-house-speech.jpg

Solution!
Chosen by mdewater (Community Legend)
Concert Regular

stevieboy could not have said it better. Kudos to you!

Solution!
Chosen by Rialas (Garage Band)
Garage Band

How often have you seen corporate representatives answer your questions (especially unpleasant ones) directly? Babar is just being a good little employee who doesn't want to discuss anything controversial with the users and get into hot water with his bosses. Businesses generally resort to pat responses and form letters to avoid addressing specific inquiries. They will never admit to their mistakes and will always find a rationale to justify them.

It should be obvious by now that Spotify, in a possible response to music industry pressures, has decided to make their website as difficult as possible for those of us who want to make a serious, unlimited personal archive of recorded music. By limiting the number of songs allowed, they want to discourage the collecting of music and encourage the creation of ephemeral pop and rock music playlists, relatively short, and preferrably with new artists, which will be changed often. Their thinking is that listeners inclined towards that kind of usage don't care about starring and similar what-nots since the playlists will reflect only those songs they, the listeners, select as worthy of inclusion.  

Solution!
Chosen by FrankFurter (Garage Band)
Garage Band

[ Edited ]
On a side note to all of you who just want some resolution, I'd invite you to try Google Play. I had forgotten all about them. Checked them out again tonight - i was smiling from ear to ear. No Facebook no discovery, no giant ads of Pit Bull, just straight lists of music.

Additionally, they have the Starred songs we've all been missing. Except they are thumbs up / thumbs down. You can add an album to your collection, the give thumbs up (stars) to individual tracks, and there's a "thumbs up" playlist. $9.99 a month, similar catalogs, I think I may have found my solution.

Spotify, you were awesome at first, but you've gone madly off track in your quest to make us all one big happy social sharing family. I'm going back to my own collection. :^)

Solution!
Chosen by Tetsuo6995 (Garage Band)
Festival Fanatic

[ Edited ]

I just want to add my backing to the "solution" posed by tetsuo6995.

Here is his conclusion for those who didn't see it: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/What-happened-to-the-stars/m-p/739961#M79...

"Ideally, My Music shouldn't be a separate "container" for song. It should be a "display style". I mean if you coded something that lets you display the content of your library, why can't we do the same to all our playlists ?

All our playlist should have an Album tab and an artist tab. It's just a different viewpoint of the content of a playlist.

The starred playlist needs to be transformed/enhanced and not replaced by that awful My Music library.

Rename "Starred" to "My favorites". When you click on that the songs from Starred are displayed just like before. Except now you get two extra tabs. One for favorited albums (doesn't affect the songs tab), one for your favorite artists (followed). Essentially, you just make the Starred playlist some kind of meta playlist that can now handle "Album favorites". The final step is letteing people choose what they wan't to sync offline. You should be able to decide to offline mode your "Favorites songs", or specific Albums in our "My favorites album" tab."

Spotify, hire that man!

But actually its common sense, this has been the standard UI approach in music management apps like Winamp, Media Player, Media Monkey, Itunes, hell even my app Easimp3 way back in 2001 had this! It is so disappointing that the Spotify team botched something we've been crying out for: the ability to sort, order, filter and view by Artist, Album, Genre etc.

I wonder if the underlying codebase was so poor or complex that they had to bolt this ontop instead of give it to all lists?

Anyway, instead of implementing this overdue requirement accross the app in a simple list-agnostic manner they've somehow managed to add (to not all platforms) a poorly explained, half-finished, "wart of a feature" in My Music (with no migration path), meanwhile semi-breaking the best loved and used feature they had in Stars, confuse half their users, alienate the other half AND cripple other features like Offline music and Library!

And don't get me started on the color scheme, why start working on color schemes when you still havent finished essential features like sorting or even finished coding & testing My Music. It beggars belief the arrogance of the dev team to just push out this half finished 'beta' with a total disregard for their users. 

And then to have Babar come on here (finally after a month) and warn posters about being "impolite". Leave out the sanctimonous tone please, just apologise professionally and concentrate on rectifying the mess you've wrought! If I was into conspiracies I would say that whoever came up with this feature and release plan is being paid off by the other side, either that or complete incompetence!

Regardless, this debacle highlights what happens to success stories; a passionate owner sells out and the suits arrive and transform a genuinely ground breaking platform into a fat glossy characterless corporate advertising cash cow that couldn’t care less what users want, just what makes money and pushes interests for the big boys. After many years it unfortunately looks like its time to jump ship.

Solution!
Chosen by rik_derris (Music Lover)
Garage Band

Attention Spotify. This is how music should be done:

Users definitely need to have the ability to save albums or artists that they like to a collection. Congratulations on finally figuring this out and implementing Your Music so we don't have to manage our music collection through playlists.

However, not every song in every album or by every artist we want to save in our collection is going to be our "favorite" song. Thus some kind of starring or rating system is needed so that we can track, of the music we like, what we consider the BEST.

So its simple: have the Your Music collection feature. That is fantastic. But that is not equivalent to and should not replace the starring system. They are two different and complementary features. So please add back starring.

We have very effectively been managing our music in this way for years now. There's no need to change that. And I will resubscribe to Premium when you fix that. Until then, I'll be using Google Music, who has figured out how to do this simple thing right.

Solution!
Chosen by Severulinus (Festival VIP)
Garage Band

The stars have been (sort of) replaced by check marks, but Spotify believes they can overcome their users' hue and cry about this issue by lexical creativity. They have the Starred button all right, but no stars.

More importantly, the check marks don't behave like stars any more. Once you starred a song anywhere in the system in the past, it was carved in stone across the whole website. Just one example: I have a couple of dozen albums from a certain artist in a single playlist. Almost all of the stars have vanished, and when I click on Albums or Artists, there is ONE SINGLE track in those folders from that artist. I wrote to Spotify about it, but they, like good little corporate prevaricators and obfuscators, are trying to convince me that this doesn't happen. I asked them to check my account. No response, of course. 

Because of the newly-instituted song limit, my Songs and Starred folders have tracks from the first half of the alphabet, followed by a huge gap, and then there are a few recently added albums starting with a "t". If I had the time and patience to count those songs, I'm pretty sure the count wouldn't be even close to 10,000 - not because I don't have tracks in excess of that number - but because their counter is a pretty blunt tool.

If the company had blackmailed me and said, "O.K., the free lunch is over, now you have to pay up", I would've gladly done so because of the time invested in my collection. Of course, this would happen only under the condition that the service remains as reliable as before. But no, they missed the opportunity to make extra money from thousands of users like me and instituted a pointless, infuriating change that might lead to their demise.

Solution!
Chosen by lazyb0y (Music Lover)
Garage Band

I've been testing Deezer and Google Play Music. Both are very good. Rdio I wasn't all that impressed with.

Solution!
Chosen by smarmosaur (Opening Act)
ccn
Roadie

babaridith wrote:

We’ve listened to all your great feedback to ensure that everything looks and feels just right.

LOL. What a joke...

<UNSUBSCRIBE>

100512_SuperStar.png

All Replies
Kudos: 14,717
Solutions: 3,538
Community Mentor
Ideas Guardian
Protector of Newbs
Troubleshooter

It sounds like you have the new Your Music (previously called collections) feature. It is the next generation of content management on Spotify, meaning you can save albums and artists directly without the need to add them to a playlist. Starred as a special playlist does continue to live alongside the collections features.

Seems like a big change, but I for one quickly learned to prefer it over starred playlist alone.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Concert Regular

But normally I just "saved" my songs to my library by "starring" them... This made it all more organized and easier to find the songs/albums/artists I was looking for... When a playlist contains 12000 songs, it's pretty hard to find that one song you're looking for or that one album that you don't remember the name of 100%! I just don't get why this "save" feature will make anything better for anyone??? And do you know how to remove it and go back to the old one?:)

Community Legend

There is no option to go back. Crying

Spotify Premium for music listening, user since April 2009. 100M cable modem and 1M mobile network.
Kudos: 14,717
Solutions: 3,538
Community Mentor
Ideas Guardian
Protector of Newbs
Troubleshooter

You can easily import all of your starred tracks (highlight them all, drag into "Songs" under Your Music") and then essentially the songs tab is the same as your current library and you can then "save" (equivalent of starring) tracks, but also albums.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Music Lover

Where did my stars go? Star function is missing...

This happened a few months ago on my wife's computer, and now it has occurred on my machine.  I no longer can star items (or unstar them) as the star icon has gone missing.

I now have a plus (+) symbol that does some unknown function.  When I click it, it changes between a plus (+) symbol to a checkmark and a red x.  I have searched quite a bit for a solution - even tried reinstalling.  Where has the star function gone??

Kudos: 802
Solutions: 246
Troubleshooter
Congratulations, you're now officially a Spotify Community Rock Star!
The community wouldn't be the same without your support and dedication.
Hardly a problem you can't solve.
You must be helping a lot of people.
FIVE hundred! Rock on \,,/(^_^)\,,/

Re: Where did my stars go? Star function is missing...

[ Edited ]

Hey there! 

The feature has been removed due to the upcoming feature of "Your Music". When clicking the "plus sign" it adds the song or album to "Your Music" which is basically a collection of music - think iTunes. Sadly the star buttonis gone...for now. To add something to your starred playlist right click the song (or click the three dots) > Hover over "Add to..." > Click "Starred".  

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

If you are waiting for a reply, send me a direct message and I'll respond back asap!

Music Lover

Re: Where did my stars go? Star function is missing...

Unfortunate that it has been removed.  I enjoyed the simplicity of the star feature.

I guess I need to embrace change and learn the new functionality - hopefully it is for the better.

Thank you for the quick response.

Community Manager
One thousand kudos. That's a ton!
Five blog posts, surely you're a Maverick?!
Thanks for taking part in the Spotify Community this week, as we celebrate its third anniversary!
Wow! Three years; you're practically a veteran.

[ Edited ]

@andersbrun @Peter @hpguru 

Thanks for the feedback guys. We're excited to see what you think of Your Music so we appreciate the responses. 

Some of you have noticed that the star icons next to tracks have been replaced by a little plus sign. The new plus icon is for adding music to Your Music. You can still add songs to your "Starred" list by right clicking any track, selecting "Add to", then adding it in the starred list. 

Your Music, previously known as Collection, is in many ways Starred 2.0. Our thinking around Your Music has been that adding music to Collection serves a similar purpose to starring a track. Yet we also recognize that adding a song to your Collection is somewhat different from what many people used the Starred list for today, so if you're a Starred user and don't feel that Your Music fills the void of starred, please tell us why!

Fun fact: When the starred feature was originally created it was called "Collection" before we changed the name to "Starred". 

We're always trying new things and we've been waiting for the community response since we built this. Please share with us your patterns around starred in the comments. If you feel that starred cannot be replaced by Your Music, tell us why here. We're listening.

Community Legend

[ Edited ]

I like new option to Collect stuff. However I add only albums into it. No singles. Big smile

I think that when you removed star option, the whole Starred list is now useless. I would remove the whole Starred list. If someone want to star something, can add playlist for it. I don't use starred playlist much, my playlist and collection doing job better.

So Rorey, please consider to remove this Starred list completely. Wink

Spotify Premium for music listening, user since April 2009. 100M cable modem and 1M mobile network.
Announcements

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.