Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Yet Another "Spotify Not Playing Music" Problem

Solved!

Yet Another "Spotify Not Playing Music" Problem

So the problem itself is pretty simple: Spotify will not play any local music files, radio, or any music at all. I can click on the song to play and it'll load the info in the bottom left, however the actual song timer/slider will sit at 00:00 and nothing seems to work as far as getting it to play.

Looking around it seems quite a few people are having this problem as well.

I've tried the usual disabling hardware accelerator and cross fading, neither worked.

I unistalled and did a fresh install, didn't work.

Any ideas or what information you need?

97 Replies

I see just that! The song seems to load, the pause button shows, but nothing is heard and no track time is displayed. It doesn't increment on the playtime bar as well.

I have this exact problem. It's extremely frustrating as it basically prevents me from combining my spotify music and local music into a single library - hence I either listen to my music on Windows Media Player, or the streamed music on spotify. It'd be nice to streamline that- if you can't then I really can't see the point in paying the 10 a month - I may as well buy an album a month and own it all/ do whatever I want with it and have it all to hand in WMP.

I think everyone would appreciate it if one of the spotify team could at least reply to this thread, and let us know where they are at with this problem!

I had this problem. Installing Quicktime fixed it.

Yep, you are right sir.

To fix the "Spotify not playing local files" problem install Quicktime.
1. Close Spotify (check your system tray and make sure it's completely closed)
2. Download Quicktime 7 (for windows) http://www.apple.com/quicktime/
3. Install Quicktime 7
NOTE***During the installation you will be prompted to allow for Quicktime to be the default program for playing .xxx file types, be sure to answer YES you do want quicktime to be the default program for playing audio files.

4. Following the Quicktime 7 installation, re-open Spotify and enjoy!

Props to Lowndesy. Spotify should have answered this a long time ago, it's sad when the paying customers have to fix it themselves. /grumblegrumble

I have been getting "There is a problem with your sound card. Spotify cant play music."

There is nothing wrong with my sound card,

This haopened a day after upgrading to premium. 

@srbryan wrote:

Yep, you are right sir.

To fix the "Spotify not playing local files" problem install Quicktime.
1. Close Spotify (check your system tray and make sure it's completely closed)
2. Download Quicktime 7 (for windows) http://www.apple.com/quicktime/
3. Install Quicktime 7
NOTE***During the installation you will be prompted to allow for Quicktime to be the default program for playing .xxx file types, be sure to answer YES you do want quicktime to be the default program for playing audio files.

4. Following the Quicktime 7 installation, re-open Spotify and enjoy!

Props to Lowndesy. Spotify should have answered this a long time ago, it's sad when the paying customers have to fix it themselves. /grumblegrumble

ouch! really? you now have to install the POS that is quicktime to make spotify work?

Yeah, don't you love that? I assume it has something to do with my itunes install recently.. at least it's fixed..

As far as your 'sound card issue' goes... assuming you're using windows 7, type in "sound" from your start menu and select the small speaker looking icon labaled 'sound'. Make sure to disable any other devices you have listed here and that your primary sound card is set to default. You can adjust this by right clicking any of the items listed under "playback".

Good luck!

Im using a mac

Had the same problem, installing quicktime fixed it straight away 🙂

Downloading Quicktime worked for me. 

Running: Windows 7

Spotify wouldn't play songs for me, so I updated it by clicking "restart spotify" which comes up at the top of the screen when you need an update. When I then went back on to spotify it worked fine.

Hope this helps 🙂

same

mine is doing the same once i move the original files to another folder, it sucks i cant play half my music

Im a premium user. The songs were playing but I couldn't hear them because I didn't realize spotify has seperate volume controls under the "Playback" settings. Ctrl+up will bring your volume up. Genius issue I had but I'm sure someone else out there will have the same one! 

Worked Like a charm, just set preferences to open automatically, and then restart, or maybe its just restarting?...

I have read a lot of posts about this and how the installation of Quicktime will help with the playing of local files. oddly enough none of my files on my work computer are local, but the installation of Quicktime still helped. so if it's not a hradware issue I would definitely try installing Quicktime, it worked for me 🙂

PEOPLE WHO SAID QUCIKTIME....

YOUGUYS ROCK!!! 😄

thanks, that did the trick for me..!

I´ve had the same problem with my local files. Very annoying! Spotify refused to play my local music files while files not stored on my computer played just fine.

The solution is rather simple - either make sure your local music file formats are supported by Spotify (see https://support.spotify.com/se/learn-more/guides/#!/article/Listen-to-local-files ) or delete the links from the spotify folder [Local Files]

I use a Macbook Pro and for me a simple reset of my computer did the trick.

Suggested posts