Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

error code 18 - can't reinstall Spotify!

Solved!

error code 18 - can't reinstall Spotify!

I'm running Windows XP and I've recently uninstalled Spotify to get a clean install...  Grabbed the latest downloader and tried to install and am getting an Error 18:

"The installer is unable to install Spotify because the files to write are in use  by another process.  Please make sure Spotify is not running and retry."

Well i've tried everything from rebooting, manually removing the spotify directory in C:\Documents and Settings\...\Application Data\Spotify and nothing seems to be working.

Has anyone seen this or have any suggestions?  It's torture without the music!

111 Replies

I've had this issue since I upgraded to Win 10 some months ago and sometimes it worked to update and sometimes I got the error code 18. Have tried everything this time and it doesnt worked. But then I remember I read something sometime ago about Steam using Spotify for some reason, but I didn't think more about it since my steam wasn't running. But I just went in to msconfig an saw that Steam Client service starts automatic at start of the computer, so I tried to disable it, restart comp and now it finally worked! 

So the steps to this if you want to try it are: 

1. Go to start, and search for msconfig

2. Go to services and find Steam Client Service

3. Uncheck the box and restart computer 

4. Reinstall spotify 

5. Profit 

Marked as solution

Trust me, do what i did.  It happened to me twice the error code 18 and i solved it twice by doing this (Don't even do what some guys are posting here, about going to msconfig and weird things like that, i do it once and had to restore my PC).

-Go to Programs and Uninstall Spotify.

-Go to AppData/Roaming   and delete the Spotify folder (If it says it can't be delete because "other programs are using it" restart the PC and you will be able to do it.

-Restart the PC if you didn't do it already .

-Download Spotify again and install it.

And that's all you have to do, i hope it work for you 🙂

The steam client thing just worked one time, and when spotify was updating I got it again... 

But those steps seems like overdoing it. I searched for the SpotifyWebHelper in Appdata, made a new shortcut and cut/pasted it into the autostartfolder (go to msconfig, type shell:startup and paste it there) and restart computer, start spotify in admin mode. 

I am getting sooooooooo fed up with spotify!!! Every few days I get Error Code 18 without even trying to reinstall anything! SOMEONE FIX THE PROBLEM SOMEONE FROM SPOTIFY!!!!!!

Im still having this issue everytime Spotify updates to a new version.

"Updating ... *bang* Error 18"

Didnt work for me to restart to delete the folders.... i still have some spotify stuff somewhere that cannot be deleted.... 

Thanks a lot, it worked at your manner :')

Okay so I see many are experiencing the problems I've had the past days. After using the internet I managed to finally fix it for my part when nothing else worked. 

What I did was:

- type "%appdata%" into search. (Note that even if you have uninstalled spotify the folder might still be there.)

- If you found the folder then simply delete it. If you cannot delete it due to some background process using it currently, follow the next step.

*THIS IS ONLY IF YOU WEREN'T SUCCESSFUL TO DELETE THE SPOTIFY FOLDER FROM %APPDATA%*

- Go to start

- Press the "downarrow" on the bottom left (using windows 8). 

- type "msconfig" into the search bar.

- Open it.

- Click the services tab.

- Hit "Disable all" and restart the pc.

- While you're in the "disable all"- mode, go into appdata again and try deleting the spotify folder. Note that you cannot clean your trashbin in this mode. 

- After the spotify folder is in the bin, go to msconfig again and enable everything. You will be asked to restart your pc, do it.

- Pc has restarted and you can delete the folder from the bin.

After these things I myself was able to reinstall spotify immedietly. I'm not aware of what app that was being used but doing the steps above solved it. Hope this helps.

I had the same problem. 

1) Go to Disk C/Users

2) Check in every user in App Data folders for Spotify folder and Spotify.exe
3) The file won't uninstall because you don't have permission 

4) Go to Property, then Security and Add your account with all permissions 

5) Delete the folder with Spotify.exe

6) Install Spotify

7) Done!

The image is in Portuguese, but the buttons are the same. 

Sem título.png

i have same problem
Marked as solution

easiest fix for my error 18 message was to go to task manager and end task to spotify out of my backround process

FOR WINDOWS 10 The Best way forr someone to reslove ERROR CODE 18 

1.] go into control panel

2.] from the control panel<Programs

3.] Programs and features

4.]uninstall spotify by right clicking then click uninstall

5.] hold your mouse over your tool bar then right click 

6.] Click on Task Manager

7.] Scrool through the proccesses and locate any running spotify app running click, then end task botton located at the bottom of that window. 

8.] Go to:wwww.spotify.com and then reinstall spotify and log-in you should be set. 

it doesnt work

i already tried it

YES!!

whats comodo

Hi folks1

THIS IS THE REPLY TP ALL OF YOUR POSTED LOUSY  "solutions"

NO NEED TO BE A ROCKET SCIENTIST GO TO REGISTRY,MY PC,SEARCH,MSCONFIG,SERVICES,itunes (they have absolutely nothing to do with Spotify ETC,ETC.

ALL YOU NEED IS:

i am on win 10,but it will work on 7/8 etc.

1.control panel > uninstall Spotify

2.download " revo uninstaller"

3. Open revo and click tab "Force Uninstall" (no commas)

4.In a Program's exact name type in "Spotify (no commas)

You are all welcome Comment on my  proposed solution

5.Choose scanning mode  Advance

6.Revo will find all left overs > delete.close revo and  fresh install  spotify

Cant remove spotify on appdata, it says you need to permission to perform this action.

This fixed it for me. Thanks!

what i did was i went to search bar at bottom left of my screen typed in files went to downloads and deleted all things about spotify then i rebooted my computer and installed spotify.

what happened to Spotify? i have an old Mac and i can't reinstall...i get a message saying......no longer supports pc applications. I've been on the phone to apple with no solution....and spotify aren't replying. i'm gutted! can anyone help?

Suggested posts