Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

import music from windows media player

import music from windows media player

hi!

how can i import my music from windows media player to spotify? please help me!

lg stephan

34 Replies

You should be able to do this fairly easily.

To import your playlists from Media Player, click the File menu from within spotify, point to "Import Playlists" and select "Windows Media Player." 

To have your entire library show up as Local Files from within Spotify, click the Edit menu and select Preferences.  Scroll down to the secion labeled "Local Files" and check the box labeled "Windows Media Player."

But when you check preferences for windows media and for where the music files are stored (drive d, for me) nothing happens, none of the extra stuff that I've added to windows media imports after the first time I did this a few weeks ago. I never get an option at the top of the local files page to import files. Playlists import - as a playlist title with no tracks.

Your songs are in a non-standard location, so that is probably why they are not being imported.  This shouldn't be a problem though.  Just go back into Spotify preferences, and at the bottom of the Local Files section, click the button labeled "Add Source..." and browse to the location of your music on the 😧 drive.  Your local files should then be imported into Spotify.  You might need to re-import your playlists after you've finished this though.

I also have my music (and playlists) in a non-standard location, but adding this location does not solve Spotify not importing the playlists.

I have files on M:\ and its subfolders, and I exported playlists from MediaMonkey to M:\Playlists and even added that folder to the list separately. I imported those playlist into Windows Media Player 12, but Spotify does not import anything when told to do so. It only creates a playlist called "Windows Media Player", which remains empty.

Can I import files from Spotify to a music device?

Hi, just wanted to say thank you so much for this easily understood instruction.  I was baffled on how to transfer music from Wind Meda Player to Spotify and searched everywhere then found your post and I was able to transfer with a couple of seconds.

Thanks again !!!!

Followed your advice to the letter, but still unable to re-import. The new location does not come up as an option when pressing import playlist. It only offers me to import Windows Media Player, whereas I added Windows Music Library as actual source. Boo sob sniff. Hopeless at this.

Exactly the same problem here .. Any solution?

I'm facing the same problem, although it was working correctly a few days ago...

Well .. i have discovered that the problem concerns only those playlists which have been imported into WMP from library .. playlist created within WMP import into Spotify just fine. :). The simple workaround is to create new WMP playlists based on the playlist you want to import into Spotify (providing they are importeted into WMP and hence they do not import into Spotify) ... 

At least this worked fine for me.

Still not working for me... Very annoying!

While it works perfectly and instantly with Itunes... Any idea?

You need to go to settings when ripping the cd, and then select "MP3" Under format. The standard format when ripping in Windows Media Player is their own Windows Media file thingy, which isn't compatible with Spotify. After you've selected MP3, it should show up under local files in Spotify.

I only have MP3 in my music directory...

I just tried, and it still didn't add the music I'd taken from CDs. it still only imports the digital downloads. To be honest, it's actually becoming quite annoying having every option I can try get shot down.

Too little information. Could you describe exactily what problem you are having together with a note of your operating system.

@JarodLandree wrote:

I just tried, and it still didn't add the music I'd taken from CDs. it still only imports the digital downloads. To be honest, it's actually becoming quite annoying having every option I can try get shot down.

What format are those files in? 

I think by default, Windows Media Player rips CDs to wma files which are not compatible with Spotify. You would need to re-rip those or convert them to mp3's for Spotify. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

It's now june 2015. This functionality seems to be completely gone.

Any suggestions hos to get my windows media playes music files en playlist into Spotify?

To see your local files in the desktop software, you would have to enable "Show tracks from Windows Media Player" and "Music Library" in Edit->Preferences. You can also add other directories than the default ones there. Then the files should be listed in the left sidebar under Your Music->Local Files. You can add them to playlists by right-clicking them or with the ... dropdown menu.at the right side of the track name.

Suggested posts