Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Problems with Spotify on my SONOS

Solved!

Problems with Spotify on my SONOS

I've had Sonos for over a year plus have been a Spoify premium account holder for over a year.

Spotify used to work fine on my Sonos, but has recently shown 'cannot play track', some message that the connection is  not sufficient of bandwith insufficient.

I am sure there has not been any changes on the configuration.

If I run with speedtest.net I have at least 8Mbps  (up until 20) connection.

Could anyone help me ?

1 - How can I detect and secure that the connection is sufficient for spotify?

2 - Are there any specific configuration settings on Sonos, Spotify, Network which are to be checked / set?

3 - Since I read in the other posted messages, that other users are suffering from the same, is it possible that it is releated to the growing number of users (so more on Spotify server side)? 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi Licenced, I know people have spoken to the Sonos helpdesk, but they could not solve the problem. Deezer is a service as good as Spotify so its easier and less risky to go over to Deezer. I'm holding Spotify responsible for the capacity of their servers, because I am paying Spotify and not Sonos for streaming their music.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hi Bremvelt, I did take the Sonos back to the store for a full refund. As well as not working with Spotify, the Sonos Play 5 speaker repeatedly failed to reconnect to the bridge after being unplugged and moved to a new room. It's woefully poor that Sonos offer no telephone tech support at weekends. Lots of other Sonos customers have listed problems online regarding inability to reconnect speakers following power outages. The main thing is I am really glad I returned it because I bought a JBL Onbeat Extreme with the money and this sounds far far better. I plan to get a separates system in the fullness of time but in the meantime the JBL is wonderful with rumbling deep bass and sweet mid range:)

View solution in original post

40 Replies

Hi there,

If it's a growing number of users then it would be Sonos's fault rather than Spotify's as they manage the servers for the Spotify service through Sonos. Either way, in your case it's probably a good idea to log this with Sonos support - when I had to to that for a similar issue back in the early days of the Sonos-Spotify service their support guys were pretty good and, using logs from your system, should be able to help you pin down the problem.

Dave
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Are you on Virgin Media because just recently Spotify has become unusable on that - I have probelms through Sonos, on my PC and on the iPad .I have seen gripes elsewhere about it.

I have a lot of problems playing Spotify on Sonos. There is as far as I understand not enough capacity on the servers for streaming Spotify through Sonos. A lot of people meet the same problem. I think Spotify and Sonos should sort this out ASAP. Can anyone tell whether there are initiatives to solve this problem?

I'm having exactly the same issues; a premium customer for over a year and with BT and not Virgin!!

error messages: unable to browse music and icorrect login/paasword?

anyone any views?

As mentioned above, if you have issues on Sonos then you should report this through the Sonos Support route - their support guys are much more responsive and able to get the information they need from your Sonos equipment to determine where the issue is
----------------

Licenced, I am still convinced the problem has to do with the lack of capacity of the connection between Spotify and Sonos. The problem only occurs at times there are probably a lot of people online. I do not like the way you react anyway always saying the fault is in the Sonos installation while a lot of people have the same problem and the messages from Spotify you often get have nothing to do with your own installation. I have decided to subscribe to Deezer because I do not think Spotify will solve this problem. Deezer is working well.

Did you get anywhere with Sonos support before switching to Deezer?

I'm not trying to shift blame (I don't work for either company) - I just know that the Spotify service through Sonos is managed by Sonos (so any lack of capacity would be their issue) and also that Sonos support is much (much) better than Spotify's - for any issue playing anything through Sonos it's always best to start with them, let their support guys look into it and tell you if you need to ask elsewhere. You won't get the same level of response by starting with Spotify Support unfortunately

D
----------------
Marked as solution

Hi Licenced, I know people have spoken to the Sonos helpdesk, but they could not solve the problem. Deezer is a service as good as Spotify so its easier and less risky to go over to Deezer. I'm holding Spotify responsible for the capacity of their servers, because I am paying Spotify and not Sonos for streaming their music.

Hi 'licensed,

I wrote the text beneath already at another thread. But me too changed over to Deezer. Sonos guys indeed do everything they can, but also in the Netherlands, for me anyway, there is no solution.

And indeed, I was paying Spotify, so should expect that they would do the utmost to solve the problem(s)

"I am a user from the Netherlands, using Sonos and USED Spotify. Spotify tells me it a Sonos problem, but I am busy with the Sonos Support since 2 months, and nothing seems wrong. They really did EVERYTHING they could, but still Spotify tells me that there is no connection (connection broken) or too less speed to fill the waiting list of my playlist.

I stopped with Spotify and I am using Deezer now. NO PROBLEMS at all, so Sonos is okay.

So, If someone of SPOTIFY is reading this !!!!

Please help a lot of customers or ex-customers, who want to be costumer again, to solve this problem !

I would appreciate that very much."

Hi,

Just wanted to say that I am experiencing the same connection problems when playing Spotify through Sonos. It started only recently but has been neither acknowledged, nor fixed. This, plus the horrible Android app (yes, the new one) made me cancel my Spotify subscription and switch to Deezer.

With Deezer, I have more or less the same library plus Radio through Sonos and none of the technical problems I had with Spotify.

Seems to me that the people behind Spotify never anticipated such a quick success of their service and are in way over their head. Well, others caught up and can handle the traffic.

Maybe I'll get back to Spotify once they sort their stuff out but until then I'm happy with Deezer.

Cheers,

Oxidan

I too have just started noticing problems over the last month or so. You would think Sonos and Spotify may comunicate with each other on this issue to seek a resolution. For me if the problems continue... I'll go to Deezer, sorry Spotify just sounds easier than hours and hours of pointless phone calls.

I have been having the same problems over the last months. No issues with playing my NAS music library, not with Aupeo, not with Deezer, not with Wolfgang's Vault. However the SONOS - Spotify combo keeps complaining about insufficient bandwidth, lost connections, etc. Moving to a paid Deezer account as well, for my taste a similar collection, and had no issues so far.

Sonos is the reason why I am using (and paying for) Spotify Premium. Unfortunately there are problems and error messages all the time. connection lost etc. (I am in Austria and the errors are in German).

It's not my internet connection which has a 100MBit/s download speed and 50MBit/s upload speed.

PLEASE SOLVE THIS PROBLEM!

I have had the same problems on and off since May- what solved the problem for me was resetting the Channel to 11 and completely clearing the music queue, restarting Sonos and Spotify eventually appeared in the Search bar. Hope this helps! 

Same here for about 6 weeks now.  100Mbit cable, and everything else is fine but Spotify.  Waste of money if you ask me...

One more month and an answer from Sonos is all I'm haging out for.  If it's not fixed, it's over.  I jsut added two other services that worked as they should immediately.  This is a joke.

In finally got this fixed.  Somehow, my router was blocking port 4070.  I blasted out the router (Airport Extreme) and setup it up with factory defaults, then added my confifg.  It's been working 100% all day with Spotify - thank GOD!  Hope this helps someone else - but I still have no clue where that blocking came from.  Nobody else has the admin rights to the hardware.

Could you or anyone elaborate on the traffic on TCP port 4070?

When I look at my router's list of Internet sessions just after starting Spotify, I see

LocalNATInternetProtocolStateDirPriorityTime OutCounter
10.11.0.248:1800 XX.XX.XX.XX:1800 193.182.8.26:4070 TCP EST Out 182 7800 1/1

When I previously looked at the list, just after the Sonos system skipped through the rest of the playlist having dropped the connection, it showed a state of "TW", meaning it was waiting to close the connection at the request of the client. All that seems normal.

I do note that the 193.182.8.54 address resolves to corrine.ash.spotify.com, so I'm not sure about Sonos control/responsibility for this. (The local address of my ZonePlayer is a little weird for historical reasons.)

Same problem for me. Just installed Sonos. Have had Spotify Premium for a year, never a problem playing on laptop and Smartphone, unable to play Spotify intermittently for hours at a time on Sonos. No problems playing Napster, digital radio etc.

I HIGHLY recommend sending logs to SONOS.  Their support is top-notch.  They can look at your logs and decipher the issues.

Scott

Suggested posts