Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cant detect iPod via USB

Solved!

Cant detect iPod via USB

i've been trying to synch my iPod with Spotify for the last 2days now.it doesnt matter what i do,the software wont detect the device.
I've re.installed the app and the software on my pc but nothing seems to work.I really need a solution for this.I cant ssynch via WIFI because my Connection is to slow and it would take ages to do.
PLEASE HELP! ireally want to use Spotify,but if this doesnt get solved I'll have to cancel Premium...

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I had the same problem. I found that the problem wasn't with the USB cable or the Ipod.

Did you have Spotify open on both devices?

This worked. Have spotify open on Ipod and Computer so Spotify on the computer is able to recognize the device.

Hope this helped.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

What iPods does Spotify support?

If you have an iPod Touch with iOS6 or above, you can download the Spotify app from the App Store. You can use all of the latest features Spotify has to offer such as offline syncing and instant streaming.

If you have an iPod Touch with iO5 or older, you can still use the ‘Spotify for iOS4’ app which is in the App Store.

If you have an iPod Nano, Mini, Shuffle or Classic, you can only sync local files from your computer in Spotify.

This answer was clear in the Ipod FAQ in Spotify.com

https://support.spotify.com/nz/learn-more/faq/#!/article/iPod-faq

The solution for you would be to upgrade your ipod so you can have all the features Spotify offers, which clearly you love 🙂

Marked as solution

Hey guys!

It looks like Spotify has discontinued USB sync for iPods.

"We don't support iPod Mini, Shuffle, Classic, or Nano."

https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/faq/#!/article/iPod-faq

The iPod Touch is still supported over WiFi sync with the Spotify app.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Marked as solution

Yes they USED TO support all ipods but now they only do so with itouches
and iphones. Which to me is a little silly because they have also started
limiting some of their offline services. Its a great product however they
need some work on their consistency so they do not end up with a bunch of
annoyed customers.

Marked as solution

then why do we pay for premium accounts if you cant download to your ipods!! that is aweful and very miss leading to customers! not happy about this at all!!

Marked as solution

How do you sync the local files?

104 Replies

Same problem here.

My iPod touch 3G won't be detected via USB by my desktop Spotify no matter what I try. This is annoying because I can't transfer local files on playlists.

Any solution to this?. Evaluating premium also and this and other oddities are drawing me back, like why the hell I have files that exist on Spotify and exist on my iPod AND ITunes but refuse to play on the playlist I have on iPod (grey non-playable songs!!!!).

Thanks

Have you guys tried

- using different USB ports on your computers to see if it's recognised by any others than the one you're using?

- using another iPod cable?

- restarting your iPod's when they're connected and supposed to be recognised by your computers?

Hi everyone - I just want to clear up some points made in this thread. In order to sync your offline playlists a wifi connection is required. 

In fact, using a USB might actually hinder the process even further. It's key that you make sure your computer and your device are on the same wifi in order for your device to be detected. 

For more information please check out our FAQ page

so if using USB doesnt work why does it say that i can use it to sync??

Actually a good point. The picture and the message at the program itself doesn't even suggest the option for the newer iPods to sync over Wifi instead it just shows the generic iPod information.

Suggestion is to change the text / logo and add a text to Wifi for the iPods.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

DisasZt & neo-x -- If you're using an iPod Touch like the users above, then you should sync your offline playlists over a wifi connection.

However, if you're using an iPod Nano, Classic or Shuffle you will need to connect via USB cable to sync your local files. 

I understand that - I just offered a suggestion to add the wifi iPods to the place where it says sync over wifi. The information on the program itself are now misleading.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

same problem here, I used to be able to sync my ipod nano 2nd gen (no wifi, just usb) before, and it has recently become "invisible" to spotify.

the same ipod can be seen/used via itunes (so cable and usb ports are fine) but spotify doesn't acknowledge it at all.

please note, when I try to sync, itunes is not running so there's no conflict there. spotify version used is 0.8.3.222.g315ab79d. got a premium subscription and all i am trying to sync are my local files.

thanks for reading.

turns out that if I try to install the previous release (0.8.2.610) it shows up the ipod again!!!

whoohooo, I think!!!

but then... wait a minute... it's upgrading without asking me to...!!

**bleep**!! Back to 0.8.3.222 :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

so there, the dream of connecting the ipod again has vanished because of an autoupgrade. and for a service that I pay for, this is RIDICULOUS. there is clearly a bug somewhere in the new release - can't explain why the ipod works with the previous release otherwise - and now I am not even allowed to use the old release??

Did anyone figure it out? I have a nano too and it won't work!! HELP!

UP !

I've passed this on internally.

If you're still having this issue with the latest desktop client (http://www.spotify.com/download/) could you please reply and give some more details like ipod model, Windows version, Spotify desktop version, etc.?

Community Ergo Sum

iPod Nano 2Go 2nd generation, Mac Os 10.7.4, Spotify V.0.8.4.107.g4fa0003f, Spotify Premium. I'm french. Thanks.

I'm using version 0.8.4.93.gd9f49c35 with ipod nano 2nd gen. I'n a premium user new to spotify although I'm not a beginner or idiot when it comes to computers. Tried all the usual stuff to get it working as well as installing older versions of spotify but as a previous user stated it auto updates thus no way of telling if previous programs would work. btw it detects iphone 4s no problem. Ipod also works as usual with itunes. Have to say I'm not particularly impressed with the standard of software and as such probably wont carry on after the free trial from Virgin Media.

Thanks for your feedback. Please keep it coming, if you have it.

Community Ergo Sum

Iphone 4, not able to connect with Windows 7 64x.

The spotify app on my laptop is just not seeing my iphone with the latest spotify version.

Same here: desktop-iOS not recognizing one another via USB. (have tried every combination of iOS open / desktop open, etc.) 

OSX 10.7.4: 0.8.4.107.g4fa0003f,

iPhone 4 (iOS 5.1): 0.5.4 (0.8.2.1377.gc0029917)

Spotify 0.8.4.107 on Windows 7. My iPod Nano 3generation is not detected anymore by Spotify. Works great with Itunes.

I also have this problem. Ipod Touch will not show up wirelessly on the same network or via USB (my old ipod nano will though via USB)

Info:

Mac OS X 10.7.4

Spotify 0.8.4.107.g4faoo3f

iPod Touch 3rd Gen Software version 5.1.1 (if that matters)

Paying for premium now, would like to be able to use it fully. Hopefully you can get it resolved soon.

Suggested posts