Help - iOS (iPhone, iPad)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Gig Goer
Accepted Solution

Data Usage

Right folks, so I pretty much use Spotify every day on my iPhone.. I have a 1GB monthly contract.

However, if I spend any decent amount of time listening to music on Spotify (normally to and from work) my data usage seems to expire after 10/15 or so days.

Now, I have just this very moment changed my streaming from 320-Kbit/s to 96Kbit/s.. So will this make much of a difference to the amount of songs I can stream in a month? And if so, will there be a large difference in the quality of sound?

Would 160Kbit/s be a sort of happy medium between the amount of songs I can stream and the quality of sound?

Just looking for as much information as I can on the subject!

Also, a bit of an odd question but does anyone out there know how long it actually takes to stream a song on Spoitfy???

Cheers!

Re: Data Usage

Hi. I moved your post into the iOS section so it doesn't get lost.

To answer your questions,

1. Streaming at 96 kbps will give you 3.3333 times as much music as 320kbps for the same data usage.

2. Only you can judge the quality as much depends on the listener and the end equipment but I'd say that the difference will be pretty noticable and 160kbps may be a good compromise. Listen and decide for yourself.

3. I'm not sure why you ask the last question. If you have a solid LTE connection, it will finish streaming long before you finish listening to it I guess.

You do know that you can also download music over wifi before leaving home to save on data bandwidth?

Joe
I don't work for Spotify, I'm just here for the beer music

Check out my collaborative audiobook playlist

Kudos: 13,709
Solutions: 3,556

Just doing some brief maths for you, this is assuming you have 1GB of data purely for Spotify just to make the calculations easier and ignores data caching which might occur if you listen to tracks more than once:

At 96kbps you can stream ~ 24 hours of content.

At 160kbps you can stream ~ 14.5 hours of content. 

At 320kbps you can stream ~ 7.25 hours of content. 

As Joe said above, synching tracks into offline mode whilst on WiFi is a good plan if you listen more than that!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Gig Goer

Cheers for the reply!

This is the reason as to why I asked about how long it would take to stream a song.

On review, I'd say I could live with dropping the kbit/s rate down to 160 instead of 96!

Gig Goer

Yea, I used to sync my music when spotify was first introduced as an app, but I found that (for whatever reason) it used to have an impact on my overall memory on my iPhone so I didn't bother my arse after that!

I suppose a decent shout would be to sync what I'm currently listening to (Father John Misty, Peter Green & Duane Allman for the record) and then when I fancy a change, I can just de-sync right?

nolio wrote:

Yea, I used to sync my music when spotify was first introduced as an app, but I found that (for whatever reason) it used to have an impact on my overall memory on my iPhone so I didn't bother my arse after that!

I suppose a decent shout would be to sync what I'm currently listening to (Father John Misty, Peter Green & Duane Allman for the record) and then when I fancy a change, I can just de-sync right?

Yes, the Spotify application will manage its offline cache automatically for you. 

Peter

Peter

Garage Band

I have a 6gb/month family plan with 3 smart phones, and two spotify mobile users.   My daughters iphone just gobbled over 7GB of data use via spotify in 8 days, and put us over our data limit to the tune of $75.    I'm not an ios user, but settings look normal, data quality is set to normal, I can't find any songs that have been cached.   WTF?   Any one else?    7GB!!!    I use streaming spotify every single day on Android and never go over 1GB in my 30 day billing cycle.

Is she listening to offline playlists? 

Peter

Festival Fanatic

Hi matey,

I had this exact same problem then realised that of course its going to gobble data *facepalm*.

Luckily for me I'm a student so used my student discount to get Premium for £5/month and then just simply have one playlist that I update with songs I'm currently listening to and Spotify handles syncing everything (better than iTunes I might add).

Have a lovely Christmas!

Garage Band

Your math calculation is consistence with my testing.  Streaming on my android phone at 'normal' 96kbps averages 40MB/hr.   Equivalent to 24 hrs/GB.

But my daughters' iphone 5 began gobbling data.  She just measured and its using almost 1GB/hour at the 96kbps rate.  Thats 25X more data consumption.     We've uninstalled and reinstalled the application, still massive data use.

Announcements
Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.