Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to Disable Shuffle Play on the iPhone

Solved!

How to Disable Shuffle Play on the iPhone

This seems to be a very common issue so outside of Spotify changing the behavior, I'm going to post a separate topic based in THIS thread.

The problem is once you press the shuffle button, the app will play all subsequent playlists in shuffle mode until you disable it.  However, disabling this function isn't as intuitive as it should be.  Otherwise, the aforementioned thread wouldn't be so large and growing.

shufflebutton.jpg

Here's how to disable it.  While you're in a playlist, at the bottom of the screen the name of the artist and song appears.  To the right of it, the play or pause icon appears.  

list.jpg

1. Press anywhere in the red circle below (in other words, don't press the play/pause icon).

s1.jpg

2. This will bring up the album cover with even more options towards the bottom of your screen.  See image below.

s2.jpg

3. At the very bottom will be your song options (play/pause, rewind, advance forward, etc).

4. Look to the very left of the play and you will see two more icons right below the timeline. These are the repeat and shuffle icons.

5. The shuffle icon is above the repeat icon.  If it's green, it means shuffle is enabled.  If it's white/gray, it is disabled.  Press to toggle.

Example below with shuffle enabled:

s3.jpg

And when toggled, now shuffle is disabled:

s4.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi,

I have the Free Account for the Iphone 6s Plus.  But when I press this button Spotify tells me that "You discovered a Premium Feature", in other words it tells me to upgrade to Premium.

Do you guys have Premium account?

Thanks.

@user-removed wrote:

This seems to be a very common issue so outside of Spotify changing the behavior, I'm going to post a separate topic based in THIS thread.

The problem is once you press the shuffle button, the app will play all subsequent playlists in shuffle mode until you disable it.  However, disabling this function isn't as intuitive as it should be.  Otherwise, the aforementioned thread wouldn't be so large and growing.

shufflebutton.jpg

Here's how to disable it.  While you're in a playlist, at the bottom of the screen the name of the artist and song appears.  To the right of it, the play or pause icon appears.  

list.jpg

1. Press anywhere in the red circle below (in other words, don't press the play/pause icon).

s1.jpg

2. This will bring up the album cover with even more options towards the bottom of your screen.  See image below.

s2.jpg

3. At the very bottom will be your song options (play/pause, rewind, advance forward, etc).

4. Look to the very left of the play and you will see two more icons right below the timeline. These are the repeat and shuffle icons.

5. The shuffle icon is above the repeat icon.  If it's green, it means shuffle is enabled.  If it's white/gray, it is disabled.  Press to toggle.

Example below with shuffle enabled:

s3.jpg

And when toggled, now shuffle is disabled:

s4.jpg

View solution in original post

58 Replies

Well done, @user-removed , nice post.

You don't know how many people don't know this!

JOEBOT, lovingly handmade by MattSuda - I'm not the only sexy rock star, there are plenty of others that are happy to help you out. Just look for the star by their name.
-
I AM NOT AN EMPLOYEE OF SPOTIFY AB. I am just a thirteen year old child trying to help out. I am not paid to help or say any views of Spotify AB or any of it's affiliates, so the least that you could do is share some kudos, or, if I helped you out, mark my post as a solution. It makes me all fuzzy inside

'Don't Tell Anyone' ...what an apt song title to use for your very imformative post. I think this is the song the Spotify engineers were listening to when they designed the user interface for this feature. Thank you.

FINALLY a solution that works!! Thank you so much!

It's not working anymore. When you tap the shuffle button it tells you to upgrade. Thanks spotify for not letting me listen to one album on my phone as shuffleplay will move onto other albums of the same artist like it was the logical thing to do... 

Thank so much this has been driving me crazy!

I guess this only works with Premium. Got no where with this solution other than the suggestion to sign up for Premium. Do you have to have Premium to turn off Shuffle?

@Just4Jane 

Yes, the mobile app will only work in shuffle mode for free users.

Free users can listen without shuffle mode on the desktop app.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

This is very annoying. I was considering upgrading to premium if I could get it on all my devices. Now I may try another product because this is so creepy. any suggestions?

Many thanks! Really helpful!

Andreas

Hello! You should contact Business Insider with this tip. 

I bet there are millions of people who don't know how to toggle between Shuffle and straight play.

Until a moment ago, I was but one 🙂

thanks!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!  And yes, I'm shouting.  Because it has been driving me nuts.  Thank you Thank you Thank you!

No problem!

I still can't take it off shuffle play. Everytime I follow the steps, it pulls up a screen that says. Got It

Any suggestions

Me too. I am subscribed to premium but it keeps saying Got It.

Are you a premium member?

Yes

Post a screenshot.

IMG_3944.PNG

Suggested posts