Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ipod not showing up in devices

Solved!

Ipod not showing up in devices

My Ipod is not showing up in devices, I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, but it doesn't work.
Does anyone know what to do?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello to all,

I have the same problem.

I have the latest iPod nano, and I'm trying to connect to Spotify through USB.

Itunes is not running.

But nothing shows un in "devices".

In advance, thank you for your help!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

well, that's disappointing... but thanks anyway!

Marked as solution

Oh, no. I just bought a 7th generation ipod nano specifically to work with Spotify. Should I return it or is there a work around? Right now it doesn't show up under "devices" when I go into Spotify on my cmputer when I try to synch.

14 Replies

What type of iPod? iPod Touch, shuffle, nano? Which one?

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi, and welcome to the community!

Also:

Have you trie running Spotify desktop as an administrator?

Make sure Spotify mobile (provided it is a touch. As per Matts post, it would be helpful if we knew which model you have!) is not in offline mode and in the foreground.

I sometimes find that disabling my AV firewall or my AV altogether can fix the problem, as sometimes antivirus softwares stop the 2 from connecting. Alternatively, you can create a TCP exception for Spotify.exe in the firewall.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

If it's an iPod touch make sure it's connected to the same WiFi network as your computer.

If you don't have your computer hooked to a WiFi network, then I apologize since that's currently the only way the Spotify iOS app can sync with your computer's local files.

If you have an iPod that's not an iPod Touch, let me know so we can further dive into the problem.
MattSudaSpotify Star

>>If you don't have your computer hooked to a WiFi network, then I apologize since that's currently the only way the Spotify iOS app can sync with your computer's local files.

Technically that's incorrect, as you can connect your iPhone/iPod touch via the Apple USB they give you, and it will appear in devices. Android is the one where it is only possible to sync local files via the same wifi network.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

You can only sync local files to the Spotify iOS app on the iPhone and iPod Touch using WiFi. Trust me I've been using Spotify since 2011.

Only iPods that don't run iOS (no Internet capabilities) can be synced using USB cable.

The devices section has always been somewhat misleading and I have suggested the devs to change the wording. It currently says iPhone and Android connect using WiFi but that's not true it should say iOS and Android because the iPod Touch runs iOS and you can download the Spotify app onto it.

The devices section says iPods connect via USB. This is only for shuffles and nanos and maybe the classic.

I still don't understand why Spotify built in the ability to sync local files to non Internet capable iPods since Apple's own iTunes software can do it. The only thing Spotify is doing is taking the local tracks you have and sycs them to your iPod like iTunes does.

Spotify should just keep the ability to sync local files to the Spotify iOS and Android app. They are making things too confusing with all this extra crap and bad wording.
MattSudaSpotify Star
Marked as solution

Hello to all,

I have the same problem.

I have the latest iPod nano, and I'm trying to connect to Spotify through USB.

Itunes is not running.

But nothing shows un in "devices".

In advance, thank you for your help!

If it uses the lightning connector (6th/7th gen device) then it won't work with Spotify. As spotify would only synch local files anyway to a nano, you may as well stay with itunes though.

Marked as solution

well, that's disappointing... but thanks anyway!

Marked as solution

Oh, no. I just bought a 7th generation ipod nano specifically to work with Spotify. Should I return it or is there a work around? Right now it doesn't show up under "devices" when I go into Spotify on my cmputer when I try to synch.

Spotify doesn't work with the new lightning connectors I'm afraid. Although that being said, for iPod Nanos there is no benefit to using Spotify since you can only sync local files, you might as well just use iTunes.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

My ipod is not an ipod touch its an ipod shuffle

Hey @Tytylark1998 
You can't "download" or "Available Offline" songs from Spotify for your iPod Nano, unless you're using an iPod Touch (iPod Touch has an App Store to download the Spotify App)

For iPod Nano, Shuffle, Classic, Mini - Spotify acts as a music manager only, similar to iTunes.

More details and discussion here:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-iOS-iPhone-iPad-iPod-Touch/Can-t-synch-to-iPod-3rd-generation/m...

Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

I am currently having the same problem. I have the 7th generation ipod nano and whenever i try to connect to my spotify; the device is never found. Is there a way around this? 

I have an ipod nano generation 5 should thst show up in spotify devices as it does not

Suggested posts