Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Listen to spotify on a plane? Lies, I tell you!

Solved!

Listen to spotify on a plane? Lies, I tell you!

In preparation for a cross-country airplane ride, I loaded up spotify on my ipod touch with music from my library and put together a bunch of offline playlists.  "This is going to be a GREAT 6-hour flight," I thought.

Then I turned off my ipod when they said "all electronic devices must be turned off".

Then when we were in the air, I turned it back on and set it to airplane mode.

When I opened spotify, it asked me to log in.  Then it said "Turn Off Airplane Mode or Use Wi-Fi to Access Data".

Then when I did that, it said something about no DNS server available.  

Then, 6 hours of fidgety boredom in silence.

If I want to listen to spotify on a plane, does it mean that I can't shut down the ipod when they tell us to shut off our electronic devices?  How am I supposed to listen to my offline music when I'm -- wait for it -- OFFLINE??

51 Replies
Marked as solution

Hello, 

I am having the same issue constantly on my iPhone 5. It's a 64GB so there is plenty of room free but each time I fly, I switch the phone to flight mode, turn it off etc. And upon opening the spotify app mid-flight it asks me to login via FaceBook. I have a premium account and live in Australia. Please help as I am flying overseas in two days and would love to have this fixed by then. 

Thanks. 

Marked as solution

Hello all. The point of a forum board is to share information. There is also an expectation that you are reading other's comments and suggestions. Please do not post you are having problems if you have not tried the suggestions. Here is a compiled list of suggestiosn offered to this point and it seems to have helped most fix the log in issue, but it does require you to take some steps.

1. You cannot use facebook login if you want to use your phone in airplane mode. Below are two ways to set up using spotify login information.

A.

• go to account
  • edit profile
  • Use Spotify on your devices

Set your device password to use Spotify on your Sonos, Squeezebox and a whole heap of other devices.
  • Set password for your device
  • Click send email to set password
  • find the email once sent and follow directions to set password
  • next time login to your device using the long device username and the password you set.
  • Now in airplane mode it works without asking for login information

B. If this does not work then the other site that has been offered by a member of this board was.

http://www.spotify.com/uk/help/faq/devices/connect-devices/

Hope this helps!!!!

Marked as solution

zuniflow is correct.

The device password method is the current best work around for this problem. Anyone who is having this issue should give it a try 🙂 if your still having problems then post here and someone will be happy to help!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I think the real solution here -- at least temporarily -- is for the Spotify app to recognize that the device password has not been set (i.e., that you are only using your facebook credentials to log in) and warn you that you won't be able to use spotify in offline mode until you do.  That should push people in the right direction, and it would save everyone a trip to the forum.  

(For some reason, I don't see an "Accept as solution" button on zuniflow's workaround, otherwise I'd choose it).

It is a known issue, and it was said in an earlier post that the staff are investigating the cause. Fingers crossed a fix will be implemented rather than having to get all users to make device passwords.

Peter

PS. The reason you can't mark it as a solution is because it is already marked 😉 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi I have Premium and have tried all the solutions offered to be able to listen to my playlists offline (usually whilst on a plane) and nothing is working.  If I go offline it only allows me to listen to 5 or so songs of the 400 I have over a few different playlists.  Im not sure what else to do and having just spent three hours trying to resolve this Im getting very frustrated.  Can you please help?

If I get the Spotify premium, can I use it on airplane mood?

There is no "use spotify on your devices" when I go into Account and Edit Profile?  I am doing this on my Mac at home.

@3414

It only appears if you created your account with facebook:

https://www.spotify.com/account/set-device-password/

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks.  

I have everything stored to use offline.  I get on a plane and use it, seems fine, then before we takeoff half or more of the songs are unavailable.  Later, very few and then once we get high I can't access anything but handful of songs.

The outbouind flight, it just shut me off completely.

I seem to be missing something, anyone know what?  Thanks

What about the ability to purchase on air WiFi, keep the device in airplane mode and continue to listen? Works for me on the ground but does anyone have any experience onboard? 

Thanks 

So Sorry if this was already brought up...but my Spotify has my many beloved playlists - and I've only used the "Sign in via facebook" option.... If I follow the suggested idea will I lose all my playlists or have to make them all over?

Suggested posts