Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Offline playlist - some songs won't sync

Solved!

Offline playlist - some songs won't sync

I've made most of my playlists available offline but some songs in the playlist won't play on my phone when I'm offline.

Are all songs in spotify available offline?

Thanks

LB

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I think I found a slution. Remove the Spotify app from your iPhone completely. Then go to the app store and install it again. It took a while for my 1000+ songs to sync, but all the red exclamation marks are gone and all the songs play offline. It sucks big time though that this may have to be done on a regular basis, and that Support is basically nonexistant and do not help in any way. The greedy bastards.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@noblesnow wrote:

Trying to sync my Ipod to spotify....only syncs the local files I already have. not what I really had in mind. so is there a way I can just buy the whole playlist?

Unfortunately not, the built in downloads store was recently removed from the service. Add your kudos to my ideas topic if you would like to see it return!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

Music Fan
johnchalmers1

Re: Offline playlist - some songs won't sync

Sounds like there are a few separate issues going on here but I found a solution to one of them.

After I updated my spotify I realised some of my songs were not available offline (ie didn;t have the green arrow signifying that they had been downloaded onto my phone).

I realised that this is because they were in my 'local files' section. Spotify realised I already had these songs (albeit on my computer and not my phone) and as such would not make them available offline so I was unable to listen to them on the go.

All I had to do was remove them from the 'local files' section and Spotify automatically started to make them available!

Hope this helps some folks

_____

BOOM goes the dynamite! Jeez, FINALLY, this was what fixed it for me... thanks johnchalmer1. I did have to turn off the local files setting in the desktop app, logout on the desktop, log back in then click off line on the play lists. Then on my iPhone, had to log back in turn off the offline setting on playlists then back on. Also had to makes sure the local files section in the playlists was cleared out as well.

Aaaaahhh, okay, life is good now.

66 Replies

Hello,

They should be, yes. Are the tracks you are syncing local files at all? They will have a little square with a music note next to it in Spotify. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

Hi, 

I am having the same problem. The only tracks that will synce are local files - aren't all tracks suppose to be available offline, even if they are not local files? 

I cannot find any information about this. Again, I can only get local-files to sync and not the tracks in my spotify playlist, tracks that are not local-files but part of Spotify. (I find this to be useless because I already have these tracks on my iPod, so why would I want to sync them to my iPod through Spotify? Also, I have no use for the program on my iPod if I can only sync local-files). 

Make sure you are in ONLINE mode in your settings when you switch the playlists you want to be available offline to "yes".

It won't sync when you are in OFFLINE mode. That might not be your problem, but it was mine when none of my songs were syncing...

I have synced my iphone with spotify at least 6 times now, and it will sync the songs and I can play them on my phone, offline mode or online mode, doesn't matter, they will work. However, if I close the spotify app, the next time I open it, some of the songs will be grayed out and say something along the lines of "must sync with computer." It's really frustrating. It's the same songs that gray out everytime. Someone please help. I tried to contact Spotify directly, seeing as it is their service and product, and they tahnked me for my email and directed me to the community forums. Not that I don't believe the community can be helpful, I just think if you contact the company they should answer your question, not point you in another direction. 

I have the exact same problem. Syncing, no matter how I perform it, won't resolve the issue. Mailing support hasn't given me an answer. What to do?

I have more or less a simular problem on my iPhone.

A have a few playlists and they should all work offline. But whenever I am offline only a few of the whole playlist will work. So whenever I'm online, the playlist shows a green arrow in front of every song (which i guess means that they are synced for offline playing). But when I'm offline there are just a few left of them with a green arrow.

Or am I just completly missing how to do it properly? 

Hopefully someone can explain this!

Thanks in advance!

Marked as solution

I think I found a slution. Remove the Spotify app from your iPhone completely. Then go to the app store and install it again. It took a while for my 1000+ songs to sync, but all the red exclamation marks are gone and all the songs play offline. It sucks big time though that this may have to be done on a regular basis, and that Support is basically nonexistant and do not help in any way. The greedy bastards.

Same as everyone else. Tracks selected from Spotify sync OK, but local files now don't (they used to). Thanks to the advice above, sync now possible by removing firewall but this us clearly unsatosfactory. A solution is surely not far away - even the promise of one would be appreciated.

Apologies for the above - put in the wrong place AND now found not to be true. Sync still NOT possible even by disabling the firewall.

Further to the above, all the problem local tracks appear straightaway when copied to itunes after a sync .

NOTHING WORKS :'(

I think I've just found a solution. I re-installed Spotify on my android, synced again, but it didn't work. So I reconnected to the same wifi again with my phone and it worked like a charm. And maybe, if it still doesn't work, you can reconnect your pc to your wifi. I hope this works. Good luck.

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!  OK HERE GOES...

If you are wireless in your home no need to even plug in USB.

1.  Open spotify on your desk top

2.  Open settings on your iphone

3.  Under "general" click "never" so your phone doesn't go to sleep.  This shuts off "devices".

4. Open spotify on your iphone

5. Now your phone should be recognized in devices. Wait a second.

6. Click on the big black bar in the center of your monitor that says your name and iphone

7.  It will probably say at the top that you are out of space.

9. Click "manually sync".  NOT "sync ALL" tracks

8.  Start "manually unclicking your playlists and only leave the ones that are essential to you.  Not every single one.

9.  IMPORTANT:  UNclick local files and starred files.  

Now only the playlists you want should be clicked and synced.

Go back to Settings under General and turn off "NEVER" so your phone doesn't go dead too fast.

Hopefully this helps!  Good Luck!!  All of my playlists are back!  Alleluia!  I was going crazy!  

Spotify, you need to hire me if this works for others like it worked for me.

Under General...where do you click "never" ? There are several groups under the genral settings

"General" then "auto-lock"

Trying to sync my Ipod to spotify....only syncs the local files I already have. not what I really had in mind. so is there a way I can just buy the whole playlist?

Marked as solution

@noblesnow wrote:

Unfortunately not, the built in downloads store was recently removed from the service. Add your kudos to my ideas topic if you would like to see it return!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Wow, this works!  After weeks of never hearing back from Spotify someone has broken the code!  Good job McKeegan140!!  

Now, if only Spotify gave two **bleep**s about their customers and actually informed them of it--absolute CRAP support and it's enough to keep me on the fence with cancelling.  I hope one day Apple gets an app together because it will most certainly be easier to use and more reliable.  Till then...

**EDIT**

Looks like I spoke too soon.  It's frozen at the first song sync.  What a pice of **bleep**.

First try this because it doesn't take long.
Power down your iDevice.
Power it back up.
Voila! Sync works.

/at least for me it did

Suggested posts