Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle play is not random

Solved!

Shuffle play is not random

Shuffle play was bad before the update and now its worse. On my 442 song playlist, the same 30 or 35 tracks play over and over again and the other 400 songs I have barely heard once. I have had to delete songs because shuffle play was choosing them everytime I would listen. Spotify developers say shuffle play is random but how is repeating the same 35 songs over and over random. For some reason there is a higher probability of certain songs playing than others. This is a major flaw in the system. The shuffle play programs needs to be totally overhauled, it is awful

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate taking the time to share your feedback regarding Shuffle. 

Further, we realize this thread has gone a bit off topic with lots of questions/ideas in one place. It’s for this reason we’re going to lock the thread.

For more info and troubleshooting steps to try regarding Shuffle, we'd recommend taking a look at this Spotify Answer. If that doesn't do the trick, we'd suggest posting in the Help Board related to the device you're having troubles and we'll be happy to lend a hand there.

We'd also recommend taking a look at our Ideas Exchange where you can add your +VOTE and subscribe to this related thread. All the useful updates will be shared there.

Hope this clarifies things! Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

View solution in original post

523 Replies

By sheer coincidence, Meredith posted an update on shuffle today.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Announcements/Your-Ideas-At-Work-Shuffle-Improvements/td-p/7...

Yes I have read about these improvements to shuffle play in the past. The problem is I just used shuffle play in the last 24 hours and it is still awful

Not sure if this shuffle update is in the mobile apps or not yet!

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Yeah, pretty sure they're not yet.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

oh ok thanks

I have had this problem since the beginning of using spotify. Of my favourates list of about 250+ songs, about 200 are never played in random shuffle mode. Forced switching to an ignored song only helps at that instant, but after that spotify continues to play one of the 50 songs that are all involved, ignoring the remaining 200 again.
I find this very troublesome, it should be fixed. How many more users have this problem??

I agree with Garage Band. Random shuffle play is still awful....
I also use update 1.1.0 or anyway the latest version.

yes, same here. please get a new algorithm for it as soon as possible.

It seems that whenever I shuffle a playlist, the shuffler's logic tends to pick some specific songs, and they always come up for play as a 'priority' compared to other songs.

(this differs from the complaint that some people have, that they get the same songs twice on a single 'shuffle my playlist' run. As long as I don't press 'shuffle' again, I won't hear the same song. But the shuffle logic will always choose a few specific songs and throw them in my face very early in the shuffle run, which is very annoying).

It's almost unbelievable to me that such a simple process is broken.

The only remaining explanation I can give is that Spotify deliberately chooses the songs that are cheaper for them to pay royalties on.

Whatever the reason is, I hope Spotify cleans up its act.. millions of customers paying for a broken product that would take me 2 afternoons to fix, and I am an accountant whose greatest programming achievement was inputting cheat codes on my super nintendo - a, down, b, down, down, y a.

I have the same problem. I have hundreds of songs saved, but it only seems to want to play the same 50 or so over and over again. It will even repeat songs before it actually chooses to select unplayed one. Utterly awful and infuriating 'algorithm'.

As much as I hate using iTunes, at least I know that if I put my library on shuffle/random it will do exactly that.
www.stephenpenny.com
www.techxpatspodcast.com
www.superhelsinki.com

I have more than 1100 songs on my main list, a large part of them I havn´t heard since I added them.

It´s tiresome and irritating to keep hearing the some few somgs over and over.

Read more about the awful shuffle issue:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Implement-an-actual-shuffle-function/idi-p/27607
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

Same problem. 2500 songs on my playlist and let's always the same couple of hundred songs played on shuffle. It is certainly NOT random.
I run a pub and my customers are sick of hearing the same old songs.
Nothing has changed despite several updates.
This would look like a pretty simple problem for Spotify to resolve so why the Hell are they not doing it ?
Bloody annoying !

Please please fix

same here

also the same ORDER

say i've song 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, 8, 9,10

first of all i mostly hear these: 2,1, 5,4, 3 and always in that EXACT same order

so thats shuffle at it's WORST

so the "at random" function cleary doesn't work, or is replaced by a second agenda of money making due to royalties

I'm a premium user and shuffle on pc and android is horrendous. This actually makes me question keep premium. I'm a bit tired of hearing the same songs in a 500 song playlist. The purpose of having such a large playlist is not to wear any songs out.

Yeah it's pretty noticible. The app should regenerate a randomized playlist each time the app is restarted, or each time the user toggles the 'shuffle' feature on/off. The frikkin thing ought to use a random seed.

This is still an issue (for me at least, as it's the one feature I use daily and still doesn't work at all), so today I have cancelled my Spotify subscription and have moved to Google Play Music All Access. Goodbye Spotify.

www.stephenpenny.com
www.techxpatspodcast.com
www.superhelsinki.com

Interesting. This has always been a problem for me, but I assumed it was because I had the free version. I figured they were trying to annoy the sh*t out of me until I signed up for premium. Good to know it happens to premium users, too. Thanks for the tip about Google music. I'll check that out! Spotify's shuffle is too annoying (having to listen to 3 Spotify ads in a row is a least tolerable in exchange for free music, but never getting to hear 90% of the music I selected is a little frustrating!)

Suggested posts