Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle problem with iPhone app

Solved!

Shuffle problem with iPhone app

There doesn't seem to be a Shuffle option. When you turn it on there is no option to turn it off.

This means every playlist you select shuffles songs unless you delete the app and re-install.

Is there a solution to this?

81 Replies

I have Spotify Premium running on an iphone5 with ios7. On each one of my playlist pages there is a prominent "Shuffle Play" button. I understand that with the free version ONLY shuffle play is possible - an excellent reason for upgrading to premium - who on earth could put up with having an album shuffled? So, having upgraded, I still have the shuffle button, which is fair enough - no problem. But what IS a HUGE issue is that it never says anything other than shuffle play along with the shuffle symbol EVEN WHEN SHUFFLE IS TURNED OFF. Why oh why, after the age of a small dog, does the button not toggle (and annuciate) Shuffle ON / Shuffle OFF. If this so difficult to achieve, could someone please tell me WHY ?!!
THANKYOU !!
There are so many things I like about Spotify, but this is a glaring fault that really, judging by the number of posts here, is P'ing alot of folks off - including myself obviously

The shuffle play button at the top of playlists is to give you a quick way to turn on shuffle and drop it in your pocket.

You can toggle if shuffle is really on or off from the now playing screen.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

That was great advice.  Thank you very much for showing how to turn off Shuffle Play

Thanks so much. That is what I was looking so hard for and could not fin

I have an active Premium subscription on my iPhone, and it used to not shuffle my playlist songs. However, although my Premium subsciption has not run out, it has taken to always shuffling my playlists. A huge ugly green 'Shuffle Play' logo appears at the top of every playlist. Unfortuantely, it is not a toggle switch. Community members advise people with this problem to turn off shuffle by clicking on the album art (doesn't work for me, nothing happens), or clicking on the 'i' button in the top left corner (doesn't appear for me) or finding the 'Now Playing' option (can't find it).

I'm fairly happy with the Spotify service apart from this, but this is SO aggravating, I'm going to ditch it if I can't get a resolution. I'm paying them specifically not to have to put up with this! Pardon my venting, but I've wasted so much time trying to fix it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi. The large shuffle button appearing at the top of your playlists is just a "convenience" feature. If you can play any track by selecting it then your iphone is logged into your Premium account.

If you go to the album cover view, do you not see the repeat and shuffle toggles on it?

Hi Joe, thanks for replying.

On my iPhone, I can play any track by selecting it. Also, when I run Spotify on Windows laptop, the title bar at the top of the window says 'Spotify Premium'. So I'm pretty certain my iPhone is using a Premium account.

To answer your question about what I see when I'm in 'album cover view', I need to confirm we mean the same thing by 'album cover view'. So I start from the 'Your Music' screen with 'Playlists' displaying. Then I choose a playlist and the list of songs in that playlist displays, with a large 'Shuffle' button at the top. At the bottom of the screen is a small window showing the name of the track that is currently playing, with a pause/play toggle button to the right, and album cover to the left. When I click on the album cover, a new screen appears, with 'Playing From Playlist' at the top, then a large album cover, then the name of the track and artist, then a track play progress indicator (in mins/secs). Below that are control buttons to play/pause, or go back/forward one track. To the left of these controls is a tiny shuffle icon, and below that a tiny repeat icon. Neither appear to be 'clickable' - it has no effect when I press them. Also, nothing happens when I press on the album cover - should it?

Is this the screen you mean when you refer to 'album cover view'?

Wayne

It turns out that the problem is a combination of:

1.what appears to be a very recent change in the iPhone Spotify Premium user interface, which means that previous solutions offered by community members no longer work, e.g. there is no longer an 'i' button in the top left hand corner

2. the fact that my iPhone is a LifeProof case, and the shuffle toggle switch in the bottom left of the album view screen isn't easily activated due to its tiny size, i.e you can press it several times without a result. However, it is indeed the new way of deactivating shuffle on an iPhone 5s, and the only way that I can find, so good luck with all those previous solutions, people!

Yup that was it 🙂 Others have complained about the size of those buttons too so, hopefully, a future release will fix this.

This 'shuffle play' has been driving me nuts too. I listen mostly to classical music on an iPhone 4S, and reading this forum today has made it clear it's possible to turn 's.p.' off.

Start playing the first track, click on the album thumb nail (bottom left hand corner), find the 'shuffle play' icon (bottom left hand corner). You can toggle it on or off.

Spotify should enable a toggle, on or off, at the large button people are bitching about.

Thanks everybody.

As far as I am aware, just tapping a track on an album or artist page rather than using the shuffle play button should start playing with shuffle disabled?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

i been shufflin for a month : ( tried reinstallling and everything. thanks for helping me not shuffle.

I have to add my comments. I have not had the time to deal with this issue so I have let it go on for months. But it annoys me so much that today I decided to find out how to turn off shuffle play. I have spent at least 20 minutes looking for an answer on spotify's web site. It wasn't until I did a google search that I found help. Now it is finally off but I am thinking about dropping the premium service.  I pay $10/month and there is no technical service when you have a problem and they let this problem stay out there when it is clearly annoying their paying customers. I guess I am going to have to  look elsewhere to find a music service that at least tries to keep their paying members happy not frustrated. 

i have premium service but for some reason i dont have the "i" at the top of the page on my iphone app.  i have the iphone4s.  can anyone help me??

photo.PNG

I had this issue back in 2010, and finally figured out how to resolve it.

About a month ago it started happening again, and I can't for the life of me fix it. I bring up a playlist, hit the first song, and it just skips randomly around from there. I cannot find a way to turn it off, and it's driving me insane.

Giving people the ability to create playlists implies that the songs will be played in that order...

[edit] Ah, it changed to a tiny little button in the lower left-hand corner. I never even noticed it, and must have hit it by mistake at some point.

For those of you with the latest client as of the date of this post, just look in the lower left-hand corner of the "Album Art" display -- you'll see toggles for shuffle and for repeat. Make sure they're white, and not green.

This is not helping. I do not have an "I" anywhere while listening to a song from My Music. Please help.

Thank you!

image1.PNG

Hi I am having the same shuffle problem and the only way i have been able to fix it is to delete the app and re install.  i see your notes about the i button but i do not have that on my screen.  any other suggestions?  thank you in advance.  i use my playlists for yoga class and the shuffle feature really throws me off when i can not turn it off. thanks

@leanwithliz 

If you have a premium subscription, you will be able to turn off shuffle in the iPhone app.

If you have the free plan, you can only shuffle play.

1. Press anywhere in the red circle below (in other words, don't press the play/pause icon).

s1.jpg

2. This will bring up the album cover with even more options towards the bottom of your screen.  See image below.

s2.jpg

3. At the very bottom will be your song options (play/pause, rewind, advance forward, etc).

4. Look to the very left of the play and you will see two more icons right below the timeline. These are the repeat and shuffle icons.

5. The shuffle icon is above the repeat icon.  If it's green, it means shuffle is enabled.  If it's white/gray, it is disabled.  Press to toggle.

Example below with shuffle enabled:

s3.jpg

And when toggled, now shuffle is disabled:

s4.jpg

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks! So much less frustrating now
Marked as solution

You're welcome 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts