Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify on multiple devices

Solved!

Spotify on multiple devices

If i bought the spotify premium package, would i be able to use it on more than one device, for instance my i phone and my dad's iphone? Xx

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@CDee03 wrote:

Hi! I have an iPhone, an Android, and a MacBook Pro. They all share the same Spotify account. Simple question: If I buy Premium on my Android device, does it mean I automatically have a Premium account on my iPhone and MacBook? Thanks. 🙂

Hey there and welcome to the community!
Yes, on any device that you log in with your Premium account you will have the Premium advantages.

There's just a device limit of 5 devices for offline songs. Means that when you have made songs available on 5 devices and try to make songs available offline on a 6th device, one of the other devices will unsync the offline songs on that device.

View solution in original post

130 Replies

Hi Becky1892-- Premium users can sync their playlists on three devices with up to 3,333 songs on each. 

However, Premium accounts are meant for individual use only. Currently there is a thread on our "Ideas" section about Family Subscriptions. If that's something you'd be interested in head on over here and add your feedback. 

You can but its limited to three mobile devlces and a total of 3,333 songs. I think that a family pricing model would be really cool. I really want a pop up of how many songs I have in my offline playlists as well as I think when its exceeded the iPhone complains that we have playlists synced to more than three devices which is not the case.

I signed up for my membership so long ago I can't remember what plan I have. If 3 devices are allowed for any membership, then I don't have a clue why I can only access my play lists on my pc. When I login on my wife's laptop I use the same ID and password and it doesn't pull up any of the lists I have, shows my facebook picture, and plays like a free membership with ads.

Is this the way it is supposed to be, or is something screwed up? I pay for the service, but did not know it would be trapped on one computer.

Thanks - Chris

@user-removed wrote:

If 3 devices are allowed for any membership, then I don't have a clue why I can only access my play lists on my pc. 

Hi Chris - The 3 devices aren't allowed for any membership--just Premium. Currently your 'mcallischris' account is on our Unlimited subscription. You can upgrade easily through your subscription page.

On a sidenote, it looks like you've made two accounts on our system. Please see Richard's post here for simple steps on sorting that out. 

So I am confused. How does this 3 devices thing work? I have premium. I have spotify installed on my android phone, my old android phone (which I do not use anymore), my android tablet, my personal computer, and my work computer. All my personal devices, used only by me.

The premis of spotify is that your music can follow you, is this to say that my music can not follow me? It is only me using those devices, seems there is a disconnect here...

So this was my set up until this morning. This morning I logged my wife in to my account and got the first finicky behavior from spotify to date. It would not play tracks on selection, stating free accounts can not do this, but it would play radio. Then, oddly, it would download a playlist and would successfully play a track on selection once downloaded... Could you explain this particular behavior?

For what its worth, a family plan would be ideal, but I wouldn't want to have to shell out for a family plan for my personal use if I just happen to be a very connected individual (for example, for over 3 exclusively personal devices).

I am an outlier, sure, but being a programmer myself I always try to even take outliers into account. Has spotify?

Hi thebeline - The problem here is you're trying to use Spotify on more than three devices. This device limit is in place to ensure accounts aren't shared and artists are compensated fairly. 

Currently you've got two Androids and a Mac computer registered. Since you're not using one of those Androids let's clear those so you can start over. How does that sound?

I am trying to log into my account on 2 different devices and while they are both logged in. It only lets one of them have the premium abilities. On the second device it only lets me listen to the radio and tells me im not a premium member. Please help so I can enjoy on both devices.

@mrlarkin2007 wrote:
I am trying to log into my account on 2 different devices and while they are both logged in. It only lets one of them have the premium abilities. On the second device it only lets me listen to the radio and tells me im not a premium member. Please help so I can enjoy on both devices.

It sounds like your second device isn't recognising your subscription.

Try logging out on that device, fully restarting the device and then logging in again using the same details as your other device. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi,

How do I remove Spotify from one of my devices when I have a premium account? I'm doing this because I have a new IPAD and I have reached the quota of 3 devices. Is it as simple as erasing the Spotify App on my old IPAD.

Thanks,

Allen

Meredith,

I'm confused.  And something bad just happened that really annoys me.  I recently got a new iPhone 5, put Spotify on it, and got it to sync 3,000+ local files.  That took some time.  I still use my old iPhone 4 from time to time.  And my wife uses her iPhone 4. I also have Spotify on my iMac, as well as my Macbook Air.  I only have one Spotify account, which should be fine, because we are okay with only one device being able to use the account at a time.

Tonight however, I noticed all of my local files -- over 3,000 of them -- disappeared from my iPhone 5 when I went to use Spotify.  I believe there was brief message about syncing but I didn't catch it in time.  Now it appears that I have to re-sync everything all over again, which is just painful.

What am I doing wrong?  Yes -- I was syncing the same files to my iPhone 4, which happened to be logged in at the time I turned Spotify on on my iPhone 5.  I don't believe any of my other phones or computers are syncing files.  How could everything have gotten wiped out without warning?  I looked and saw that all the files were still synced on my iPhone 4, so I connected that phone to the network and turned off all syncing.  Now only my iPhone 5 is syncing.  What mistake do I risk making to lose all the files again?

Is there an easy way to tell what devices are syncing with Spotify?

ARGH!

Chris

Is it possible to delete one of the used devices?

I currently have a latop, tablet and smartphone linked.

I would like to remove my Nexus 7 from used devices so i can add another one.

Where can I see/find how many devices are connected to my account?

I have this problem: If I'm using spotify at work on my MacBook Pro  and my wife start playing music on spotify at home on the iMac my music stops saying my account is being used elsewhere.

How can I delete devices from my account?

Kind Regards,

Frédéric

@Mediafl3x wrote:

Where can I see/find how many devices are connected to my account?

I have this problem: If I'm using spotify at work on my MacBook Pro  and my wife start playing music on spotify at home on the iMac my music stops saying my account is being used elsewhere.

How can I delete devices from my account?

Kind Regards,

Frédéric

Hey 🙂

This is expected behavior if you are trying to stream in 2 locations from the same account. Since spotify is only licensed for personal usage, you can only have 1 active streaming session per account at any given time. If it is your spotify account, if your wife wants to listen at home she should log out of your account and create her own, then your playback will be uninterrupted.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi Meridith the Moderator, 

I've been trying to convince my wife forever that when our Pandora subscription ran out to not renew as I've been wanting to go the Spotify route for some time. It can be a hard sell for people familiar with Pandora and unfamiliar with Spotify. So finally we were ready to go. However my wife did not have a pleasant experience at her work yesterday the first time she tried using Spotify, in fact she almost renewed our Pandora subscription because she was so frustrated. She got adds and prompting for upgrades even though we currently have premium acct.

We only have 2 moblie devices (I guess you can say 3 with the ipad, but it never leaves the house). BUT we do have 2 home computers AND a Sonos system. Are the 3 device limitations just for mobile devices, and would a home laptop count as that....OR are ALL devices counted, so I'd need to have 6 devices enabled if I included my Sonos system?

If home computers and Sonos count, can I log off of these so I can allow my wife to listen at work (a complete requirement). 

$10 a month does get you alot, however compared to Pandora and not having this issue, Pandora may be something we have to continue with unless Spotify can clarify and come thru for me. Please help clarify what counts as a device, how to switch between devices convienantly if need be. I can see this being a pretty major issue, one spotify should deal with soon, BEFORE/if apple ever really does release their itunes subscription, as all our devices are apple and would then instantly be working fine. Please help....I want my Spotify!

OK we run two accounts as we have more than 3 mobile devices. In your situation it maybe that you are trying to sync more than the 3,333 offline tracks. On any premium account the 3.333 tracks are shared between your mobile devices, so if you have 3 mobile devices, say an ipad, and two iphones you will only be able to sync for offline use just over 1,000 tracks on each device. If you do this you should continue to have syncing issues.

I have been in this situation so I can speak from first hand experience.

Tom Ashworth

Sorry I just wrote:  If you do this you should continue to have syncing issues. I meant to write  If you do this you should NOT continue to have syncing issues.

....or indeed one of you listed to offline tracks and the other listen to streamed tracks. In the end if you use mobile devices as well your wife will get annoyed by your music choice and possibly you with hers and if you have offspring who use spotify then an account for you and one for your wife to share with one offspring is a work around that works for us....One day spotify might just sort out a family subscription but I know its tricky.

Hi kenmcafee - To answer your questions, your computers, mobiles, iPads etc all count as devices. Each Premium account can only sync offline playlists on three of those devices. However, SONOS don't count as you can't sync offline playlists. 

Currently the only way to change those three is by contact customer service and having all devices (and offline playlists) cleared. 

The root of the problem here is that accounts are for personal use only. You and your wife won't be able to share. If you both open a Premium account your 3 device issue disappears. 

Currently the idea for a Family Subscription is under consideration. Please add your kudos if you'd also like to see this idea implemented. 

Thanks, Meridith.

Although the current Spotify website is quite beautifully done, it isn't very friendly finding out specific information easily. I'm not interested in offline playlists at this point, I'm only wanting whatever device I use to be able to stream whatever I search for or radio stations I create. Also: It is my understanding that there can only be 1 live stream at a time? The most current request knocks the other offline? I have looked extensivley thru the current website layout, have to give it a 3 out of 10 for gathering useful info. So if I'm not interested in offline playlists then I wont have a 3 device limitiation?

I'm not sure why my wife tried to listen at her work and heard adds and prompts to upgrade since we were not doing anything with offline playlists on any devices.

I've enjoyed Spotify quite  abit this past week, being able to pull up all kinds of albums and songs at a whim is quite amazing. And I can see a real future for this type of music on demand as to not have to have gigabytes of music on a device taking up space. Due to this I see Spotify in a completely different realm than Pandora (a few other reasons as well). I will add my comments for the obvious wisedom of "family" subscriptions in the link you provided. Wether it's Spotify or record labels needing to know: the sharing of music accounts is completely inevitable, so calling something a "personal" account seems almost odd. Perhaps Spotify needs a Premium PLUS acct! If I'm on the family shared desktop computer, there's absolutly nothing that prevents my wife from listening as I do (am I suppose to stop her and so "no you can't listen to my personal account!"). And I'm sure college dorms everywhere have roommates listening on same desktop computer stereos. Limiting is understandable, but calling something "personal" just seems unwilling to admit the truth or be aware of common reality. One last thing.....shouldnt Spotify change it's wording on it's current website under premium account "music on all your devices" if it's actually limited to just 3? But alas I still dont understand the 3 device rule. If you can clarify how I'm limited if I never save or synch offline playlists it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

Suggested posts