Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

can't transfer music to ipod

Solved!

can't transfer music to ipod

Why is it that I'm unable to transfer music files from Spotify to my ipod? I'm okay with iphone, and ipad. But ipod is the problem. I'm getting ready to give up on this Spotify deal.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Tracks that you have actually purchased and downloaded (so you own them). This is not part of the spotify premium subscription.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@antonioramir3z wrote:

is there ever going to be any sort of integration with ipod nano or classic with spotify? i totally understand the reasons for why its not possible at this time, but it sounds like its nothing but a software update or a software rewrite. I just want to kindly add my suggestion to your guy's queue of suggestions for future spotify updates 🙂

The thing is, to make this happen, Spotify would need some kind of special integration on the actual iPod device, like a Spotify application. That is never going to happen since Apple and Spotify are direct competitors in my eyes!

Peter

Peter

View solution in original post

28 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

What is the issue you are having? and what type and generation of iPod? 

Also it is worth noting that you can not transfer music from the online Spotify catalogue to iPods that do not support the spotify application thats nanos, classics and shuffles. The spotify client can only be used to sync local tracks that you own to those devices. 

Also all questions about ipod integration can be found here.

Peter

Peter

I have a nano 6th generation. Silly question...but...What do you mean by  local tracks that I own?

Marked as solution

Tracks that you have actually purchased and downloaded (so you own them). This is not part of the spotify premium subscription.

Peter

Peter

Indeed. Thanks.

I have an iPod Touch 4th Generation & found alot of good music but transfer any of the music to my iPod. HELP!!

@user-removed wrote:

I have an iPod Touch 4th Generation & found alot of good music but transfer any of the music to my iPod. HELP!!

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

You just need to install the Spotify application on your Touch and then log in, all your playlists will be there. If you need to sync local tracks from your computer to your Touch, then follow these instructions.

Peter

Peter

Hi!

I have read the question below and I think I have kind of a similar issue..........Yesterday I connected my ipod to my spotify account for first time, and of course the program asked if I want to sync to ipod up........and I said YES....the big problem was that ALL my music moved from my ipod to the spotify library, so now I have an empty ipod....and that´s a nightmare!!

How can I move it back to my ipod?? Please help me!!!!

thank you guys

Alvaro

i cant sync my spotify to my ipod, it the generation before they added the camra to the nanos. can they sync to spotify?

Hi 

I need HELP!!!!! I have a premium spotify account. I created it so that I could use it for work. I had to put together some playlists for a party. I purchased the new 7th generation nano ipod thinking I could sync my the playlists i created on spotify with it but I realized after reading through these forums that you can't do it with the new nano. Well I plugged in my old shuffle and it actually recognized my device and allows me to sync local files but it says the playlists i created for the party are not local. What does that mean. I have a premium account doesn't that mean I can put them on my ipod and listen to them? I don't understand what the point in having a premium account is if you can't do that. Am I doing something wrong? Should I just go out and buy the ipod touch and download the spotify app? PLEASE HELLP ASAP I need to find a solution before work on Wednesday. Thank YOU!

@NicoleF5786 wrote:

Hi 

I need HELP!!!!! I have a premium spotify account. I created it so that I could use it for work. I had to put together some playlists for a party. I purchased the new 7th generation nano ipod thinking I could sync my the playlists i created on spotify with it but I realized after reading through these forums that you can't do it with the new nano. Well I plugged in my old shuffle and it actually recognized my device and allows me to sync local files but it says the playlists i created for the party are not local. What does that mean. I have a premium account doesn't that mean I can put them on my ipod and listen to them? I don't understand what the point in having a premium account is if you can't do that. Am I doing something wrong? Should I just go out and buy the ipod touch and download the spotify app? PLEASE HELLP ASAP I need to find a solution before work on Wednesday. Thank YOU!

You can not put tracks from the Spotify online catalouge onto an iPod (apart from a Touch) since there is no supported application for those devices. Have a read at this topic which explains iPod Integration.

Peter

Peter

Thank you I just realized this after reading through the forums. So should I go out and buy a Touch? Will it 100% work. I assume I just have to log onto wifi right? It can be any wifi though, right?

Thanks your so kind to help

Yes, Spotify will work on the iPod Touch (needs to be a modern one only iOS 4 or above is supported, the current generation are iOS 6!), you just need to install the Spotify app and log in with the same details you use on the desktop. A premium subscription is required to use Spotify on any mobile device. And yes, it can be any WiFi network providing the network owner has not decided to block Spotify access to save bandwidth.

Peter

Peter

This might be a stupid question but could you clarify for me....can i go buy the newest Ipod Touch with iOS6 and have it work?

Simple answer, Yes 😉 

Peter

Peter

Just to make sure I am completely clear. The only apple products which will allow me to synch all free music which I have playlisted using a premium account (and therefore indirectly paid for the music) are he iPad, the iPhone and the iPod Touch. I cannot synch free music to an iPod Nano?

You are correct, you can only use your Spotify playlists on devices which support the Spotify application, the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch as well as Mac's. The iPod nanos, classic and shuffles are not supported for storage and playback of Spotify catalogue content. 

Peter

Peter

First of all, I understand that Spotify isn't going to allow me to put non-local tracks on an iPod that can't run the Spotify software.

But I should at least be able to use Spotify to sync my local tracks to an iPod. I'm currently having issues doing this, and I'm not sure why. 

Much of my local music is greyed out (not within Spotify's catalogue presumably), and so when I try to manually place these songs which ARE locally stored on my computer, I am only able to transfer a select few songs. I also am unable to select individual tracks from the 'local' playlist or fiddle with the playlist once it's on the iPod (it's a newer generation of the shuffle, very minimal interface on the iPod itself). There's minimal viewing options within Spotify for looking at what's been put on the iPod (unless I'm missing something - please help me if that's the case). 

Seems like the easiest solution is to not use Spotify to put tracks on an iPod that doesn't run the Spotify software - it's just a hassle. This, however, is my only complaint about the excellent Spotify service. 

Now that's funny. So what you're saying is: I should cancel my Premium subscription to be able to synchronize music to my Ipod? I must be misunderstanding something...?

is there ever going to be any sort of integration with ipod nano or classic with spotify? i totally understand the reasons for why its not possible at this time, but it sounds like its nothing but a software update or a software rewrite. I just want to kindly add my suggestion to your guy's queue of suggestions for future spotify updates 🙂

Suggested posts