Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

can't transfer music to ipod

Solved!

can't transfer music to ipod

Why is it that I'm unable to transfer music files from Spotify to my ipod? I'm okay with iphone, and ipad. But ipod is the problem. I'm getting ready to give up on this Spotify deal.

28 Replies
Marked as solution

@antonioramir3z wrote:

is there ever going to be any sort of integration with ipod nano or classic with spotify? i totally understand the reasons for why its not possible at this time, but it sounds like its nothing but a software update or a software rewrite. I just want to kindly add my suggestion to your guy's queue of suggestions for future spotify updates 🙂

The thing is, to make this happen, Spotify would need some kind of special integration on the actual iPod device, like a Spotify application. That is never going to happen since Apple and Spotify are direct competitors in my eyes!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

in the words of Marshall Eriksen... Lawyered 

In my opinion this is just not acceptable. I for one will most likely be cancelling my Premium account with Spotify. I like the idea beind the service and I don't mind paying for it, but if you can't figure out a way to make the tracks available on all the most popular players it just really isn't worth the $10 a month. I do not want to be limited to using my phone in a mobile situation. Smart phone batteries suck as it is and when I'm out excersizing or in an environment where my phone can be easily damaged, like riding my motorcycle or bicycle I want to be able to use my iPod that was designed for that sort of thing. Or in my car, actually use my car stereo functions to control music. This is a possible feature, with some development, even with the downloaded tracks. It was implimented on much older devices where the downloaded, or shared, files were playable on one's device for 2 weeks with the DRM management. It has been suggested here before that this should be available on our devices and as long as we had a subscription we could re-authenticate the files monthly and keep the files on our devices. The thing that bothers me more is that Spotify, from my searches, refuses to answer the question on whether they are even working on this or not. At this point I have to assume they are not and will most likely be switching to another music service that at least allows me to purchase tracks for download to my offline devices. I am in the US, and this is not an available function of Spotify. Though I am reading that it is in other countries. I have to question why that is also?

@Humhead74 wrote:

In my opinion this is just not acceptable. I for one will most likely be cancelling my Premium account with Spotify. I like the idea beind the service and I don't mind paying for it, but if you can't figure out a way to make the tracks available on all the most popular players it just really isn't worth the $10 a month. I do not want to be limited to using my phone in a mobile situation. Smart phone batteries suck as it is and when I'm out excersizing or in an environment where my phone can be easily damaged, like riding my motorcycle or bicycle I want to be able to use my iPod that was designed for that sort of thing. Or in my car, actually use my car stereo functions to control music. This is a possible feature, with some development, even with the downloaded tracks. It was implimented on much older devices where the downloaded, or shared, files were playable on one's device for 2 weeks with the DRM management. It has been suggested here before that this should be available on our devices and as long as we had a subscription we could re-authenticate the files monthly and keep the files on our devices. The thing that bothers me more is that Spotify, from my searches, refuses to answer the question on whether they are even working on this or not. At this point I have to assume they are not and will most likely be switching to another music service that at least allows me to purchase tracks for download to my offline devices. I am in the US, and this is not an available function of Spotify. Though I am reading that it is in other countries. I have to question why that is also?

Download store is currently not available in any country, that service was removed from Spotify.

Peter

Peter

hmmm, interesting, I hadn't read that anywhere yet.

i have iPodTouch 4Generation 

@DominiqueW wrote:

i have iPodTouch 4Generation 

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

What issue are you having exactly? 

Peter

Peter

I hate to beat a dead horse, but honestly, it's only because I am not that technologically savvy, and I don't completely understand the lingo. I just discovered Spotify because I wanted to access some Playlists recommended in Fitness magazine. The more I read about it, the more I wanted to sign up for a premium account, until I realized reading in these posts, that my brand new iPod Nano does not support Spotify, and I won't be able to use it for working out, which was my main goal. Is there not a way to transfer songs from Spotify to iTunes, and then sync from iTunes to the iPod Nano? Or what about software like Sharepod? I purchased Sharepod and was able to use it to transfer music from my old iPod (that I bought used and came with a lot of music on it from the previous owner) into iTunes, then was able to sync those songs onto my iPod without having to pay for them. Could something like that work? Like one of the previous posters, I don't want to purchase the premium account if I can't use it for what I need it for.... Thanks for any help or recommendations!

Luana, I don't believe you are addressing the issue correctly. It's putting Spotify music on the iPod, not taking music off of it. Spotify encoded files will not play on an offline device. You have to be able to put the device online to to download the music into the Spotify App which will then allow it to be played. Devices like the iPod Nano do not have this capability and therefore have no way of playing downloaded tracks. Unless some recent developement has happened and Spotify has changed their DRM it hasn't been allowed in the past.

Suggested posts