[All Platforms][Connect] Listen to music together, even when you’re not

Social distancing has forced a lot of us to shift from hanging out together in person, to spending time together virtually (video calls, on the phone, etc)—but why should listening to music have to be a separate experience, too? 

Virtual listening groups would be a great way to listen to the same songs and playlists simultaneously, with friends and family no matter where they are—just like you would normally do together in real life. 

This is great for setting the mood for virtual parties and hangouts, virtual Dungeons and Dragons sessions, or just to talk about and share music instantly. 

Spotify can build the bridge to bring people together with music, even when we can’t really be together. (See problematic Vertigo app)

Updated on 2020-05-25

Hey there @jordanwheela,

Thanks for sharing your idea with us! 

To make sure we're on the same page, can you give us a bit more info if and how this is different than the Spotify group sessions? You can make a short list of points to compare.

Thanks in advance 🙂 Keep us posted!

Comments
Status changed to: Need more information

Updated on 2020-05-25

Hey there @jordanwheela,

Thanks for sharing your idea with us! 

To make sure we're on the same page, can you give us a bit more info if and how this is different than the Spotify group sessions? You can make a short list of points to compare.

Thanks in advance 🙂 Keep us posted!

Casual Listener

Of course!

So the main difference between Spotify Group Sessions and my suggested idea above is that Spotify Group Sessions is for a group of people who are listening to music together within physical listening range of a speaker or speakers—everyone scans to join a group where they are physically in the same space listening to music together (a group of people at a party, an office, at home, etc.)

The suggested idea above recommends allowing a similar ability to join a group, but the difference is that the output of the group’s music is not exclusively on the speaker or speakers that the group leader’s account is connected to. For example, the idea suggests that I could join a group with a friend who is in their home across town and another friend who lives in another state—this group would sync our Spotify sessions to allow us to hear the same music at the same time out of our own respective speakers. This would be ideal for video hangouts, virtual DnD games, and other virtual social situations which have increased in popularity due to the pandemic (and will most likely continue to be popular as we adjust to our new normal). 

Spotify Group Sessions does not allow this functionality. It requires users to be physically present in the same space, but many of us are far from friends and loved ones or are practicing social distancing. This would position Spotify as the medium to bring people together over the same music, no matter where they are.  

There is an iOS app called Vertigo that claims to do this, but I’ve never been able to get it to work properly with friends. 

Let me know if that makes sense or if I can clarify even further! 🙂

@jordanwheela: thanks for posting this because that is exactly the function I want. @spotify: Please add this!

Hi @jordanwheela,

Thanks for the clarification! 

Can you let us know if this idea covers what you'd like to see implemented? If not, feel free to say why and we'll get right to changing the status of your idea.

We'll stay tuned for your reply 🙂 

Casual Listener

Hi Petya 👋 

While that post has more intricacies than the more basic idea I put forward, it does 100% cover the functionality I suggested above 🙂

Is this something already being explored by the team? 

Thanks again 🙂