[All Platforms][Music] Implementing "True Shuffle" mode in client apps

My request is pretty straightforward and has been something I've wanted for years in music apps. It's the concept of a "true" shuffle mode, where nothing is determined ahead of time. At the end of a track, the next track has been randomly determined from the entire playlist. This makes it much better in cases where you're listening to large playlists (i.e. 100 tracks or more) over several sessions (i.e. driving to work).

The current shuffle mode seems to work in a way where it shuffles the order of your playlist ahead of time, and needs to wait to cycle through the entire playlist before you might hear a track again. You might have a couple of favourite songs which would usually take forever to cycle back around.

The UI for this would be pretty simple; in the same way you can hit "Repeat" twice to toggle on "Repeat All" or "Repeat One", you could hit "Shuffle" twice to toggle on "True Shuffle" (shown with a small "T" in a circle, like the 1 in "Repeat One").

I ran this idea across friends and family over the years, and they all said it would be something they would use. Sometimes it's too long to wait for 500 songs to play before you get a chance at hearing one of your favourites again. Even worse, you might hear a song within the first 10 tracks, wait 490 more, and then be placed at the end of the next randomly shuffled order (and wait 800 tracks or more).

Comments
Rock Star 7
Rock Star 7

Sounds like a good idea but will be a hard thing to craft.

Kaisepaulson

A feature where you're able to choose different shuffle algorithms that benefit the listener would be revolutionary. Right now I find it's artists who have the most plays or monthly listeners always come up first in every playlist I've created which constantly grinds my gears. It gives the whole app this sense of popified assimilation that spotify seems to sweep under the rug. 

Rock Star 17
Rock Star 17

@whitfin

What I suggest is that you create a playlist only with your favourite songs. :)

It's obvious that statistically, larger is your playlist, longer you will wait to hear a particular song.

The goal of a shuffle play feature is, normally, to never know what you are going to hear next.

I used to play a lot, randomly, some large playlists (over 4,000 songs) and I can assure you, from one day to another, I never hear the same songs, and that's what I expect from a shuffle mode.

That reminds me a story when I was a kid (yes, I am old now).

On some vacation place, the only way to listen to radio was in my dad's car. I had some favourite songs that I wanted absolutly hear. So I was sitting in my dad's car, radio on, and I was waiting for my prefered song. Sometimes, I was lucky and as soon as in the car, radio was playing my song. I was happy, and I could go play with friends. But, sometimes, after several hours, my song was still not there, so my dad was yelling at me for leaving the car...

Many, many years later (yes, many many), I still, time to time, listen these songs of my youth. But, believe it or not, They are all in a same playlist and I don't have to wait for listening them randomly :)

twitter.com/soundofus

www.soundofus.com

whitfin
Casual Listener

@Soundofus

I already have playlists of my favourite songs, but I don't want small playlists because then I hear the same things constantly (which is the problem already). You are correct that the goal is to not know what is coming next, but that's my point; with the current algorithm, you do.

Shuffle in the current form shuffles the songs into a queue once, and then plays that queue. The queue is right there to see, and it's guaranteed that you will hear every song once before you hear a song the second time. That, to me, is not what a shuffle should be.

Rock Star 17
Rock Star 17

@whitfin

We don't have the same meaning of true shuffle. For me a true shuffle is to not hear 2 times a same song in a same session.

It's soon 10 years that I use Spotify and I am totally satisfy the way shuffle works. But I repeat what I have already said,  I only use shuffle on very large playlists that I have crafted manually, years after years, so with only songs that I like.

In a session, let's say of 5 hours, I listen something like around 80 / 100 songs and I never get 2 times the same song. It's what I expect.  :)

The next day, another session will start at a different point of the playlist and I will hear another songs.

twitter.com/soundofus

www.soundofus.com