Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] Adding a SORT button to the playlists for Android Auto

Hi guys,

As you already know (and because you want to keep all your Premium members and regular members still onboard) for around 4 years already a lot of ideas and requests were made from us about adding the 'Sort' option for the playlists in Android Auto. As it appears to all the requests made until now, the idea was pushed aside because of not having the required number of 'likes' on the topic. Seriously? (i saw countless requests over the years made on this specific topic). Why is it that hard to add the option? Almost all of your members would highly appreciate it. How does this appear as "good customer service" if you don't listen to your members to implement an option which will make our user experience so much better? Is it fair, especially for the ones who pay Premium account? I hope that somebody from the team will be so kind and forward this topic so that it can be resolved. Thank you for your time ! (P.S. just put yourself in our shoes for a minute)

Updated on 2023-08-03

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're setting the status to Not Right Now, as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. When we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
osornios
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2020-08-22

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

jackois

This has been asked for a number of times over a number of years. How hard can it be to designate one of the available platforms as the master and every platform would play the same.

Currently on desktop and mobile allow playlist sorting but apps on Android Auto, Amazon Fire and Samsung smartTV  allow no customisation that I can see.

Fiddledeedee

Not sure if it is related, but I would like to start playing in "shuffle" order always when playing playlists. Created separate thread to avoid hijacking this idea.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Android-Auto-Playlist-Shuffling/m-p/5104452/highlight/true#...

Zankery

Came here for some answers to this, quite disappointed by the Spotify team... The perk of having a Premium Spotify account is the ability to create and save custom playlists and arrange them in a way that makes sense to the user and is enjoyable to listen to. The perk of using Android Auto is that it allows you to navigate media hands-free thus minimizing screen time and keeping drivers safe on the road. NEITHER of these are true since the Spotify app for Android Auto defaults to "sort by oldest first" for every single playlist and you must then navigate the car's touch screen in order to either manually select songs from a playlist or trigger the shuffle button.

This IS a priority issue as it relates to the safety of drivers on the road, and should be addressed without your 100 kudos requirement. It's issues like this that add up over time and make someone want to switch services.

Jose_M
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Updated on 2021-03-23

Hello @CihanK1!

It looks like your idea was posted a while ago but, unfortunately, it hasn't gathered the minimum amount of votes to stay active in the Ideas Exchange (50 votes in the first 3 months). I'll mark your idea as "Closed - Not Enough Votes". You can learn more on how the Ideas Exchange works here.

Have a nice day 🙂

-2n4nlqtt_g1s

Currently the sorting of your playlist doesn't persist in android auto interface, making it barely usable since you have to scroll through all songs to get to the last one you have added.

Please implement a persistent sorting across phone and car app, or at least let us sort them in the car application. 

Desired outcome:

For example when you sort your playlist by Date Added (most recent on top) on your phone or desktop the sorting should persist when you access that playlist in the Android Auto app.

jackois

Thanks very much....

This still bugs me tremendously...

There is a mini workaround, but you have to stop the car to do it.  I've found that, if you actually start the playlist on your phone and then plug the phone into your car, the playlist plays as you have it on your phone and not in order of adding, i.e., oldest track first.

The ideal solution would be to declare one of your players, i.e. , laptop or phone to be the master for all spotify settings.

quallebob

@jackois true, but this only works until you decide to switch to a different playlist during driving.
I cannot believe this wasn't considered yet since I recon all android auto users would feel this pain 😄

Arghhhhhhhhhh

Please give Android Auto playlist sorting or at least sort in reverse order. I want the newest on top.

alexsiliato

Sorting playlists is a MUST for Android auto. Please address this issue asap, thanks!