Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Developer] Spotify for Windows on Arm (Win32) Desktop app badly needed

Can you tell me when Spotify will be released for Windows on ARM and where on your Roadmap it is?

Windows on ARM PCs have been out a few years now and whilst the 32-Bit Windows App works, due to software emulation not optimally.

Apple announced on the 22nd of June Macs are moving to ARM starting the end of the year and they expect the transition away from Intel to ARM to take 2 years. Both Microsoft and Adobe are working on ARM compatibility.

Currently on my Microsoft Surface Pro X I have to use the 32-Bit download which lags.

A new idea was posted for this last year but it's been closed as it didn't get enough Likes but it didn't get enough Likes as it's been closed 😕 -

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Compile-Spotify-for-ARM64-windows/idi-p/478113...

Thanks

Updated on 2023-08-08

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that we're rolling out an app compatible with ARM PCs. 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here in the Community!

Comments
Beaniebaby1995

Now that windows on arm devices are out in the wild I'd like to see a Spotify windows app compiled for ARM64. This would drastically increase battery life for these devices and Microsoft let's you port exisitng code to arm64 as well. 

You could also take advantage of other features such as LTE connectivity and instant on for these devices.

Psyclopps

I completely agree. I take my c630 Yoga everywhere with me. It actually performs really well in most x86 apps with the exception of Spotify. From what I have read, Microsoft has made ARM32 and ARM64 porting much easier and Spotify would have the monopoly on this if done as iTunes and Amazon Music both have not ported over either. 

ARM64 performance appears to be outstanding and with the upcoming Qualcomm 8CX coming and expecting to be comparable to i5 Processors, I would imagine WoS will be more widely adopted going forward... why not get the jump and be the first music app to fully support it? 

Guido
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2019-09-12

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found: here

JonS1

Essential now that more ARM PCs are coming mainstream and the launch of the Microsoft Surface Pro X.

hmartinez

The Surface Pro X has been released. I hope that Spotify gets an ARM64 build soon 🙂

Wugang

Microsoft is making a big push for the industry with the new Surface Pro X. Any update from Spotify on a potential Windows ARM version?

ktham

Given that electron now supports Windows 10 on ARM processors (https://www.electronjs.org/docs/tutorial/windows-arm) , when can we expect a version of Spotify compiled for ARM so that it runs natively on my Surface Pro X?

hmartinez

The fact that Spotify is not even offered in x64 via the Microsoft Store is already a bad omen for expecting they will support anything beyond x86. 

I'm a software developer, the jump from x86 to ARM64 is much harder when you don't already have a x64 codebase to begin with ☹️

ktham

Spotify is currently offered in 32bit (x86) and 64bit (x64) on the download page for Windows. However, I just ask that a version for ARM64 be made available too now that the electron framework supports it.

ktham

Ah sorry, I take that back, I got it confused with Slack

Given that Spotify is built on Electron (I believe), I don't think that it should be that difficult to compile an ARM64 version.

At least it's not a native WPF app, which may require a rewrite to use WinUI