[Desktop][Discover] AutoDJ / Autoplay Algorithm

Hi,

first I'd like to say that I've been using Spotify for a while now and it's a really good platform / service. The immense music library is fantastic and even the client is quite good (functional and well-arranged), which is not at all a given from my experience with other products. However, and this is quite unfortunate since the main reason I migrated from a local, manually-managed music collection to Spotify was to conveniently discover new music, preferably without specifically looking for individual artists, the algorithm that is used to create auto-playlists, radio stations and mixtapes is, sorry to be blunt, quite terrible. Before too long, it gets pretty annoying how much individual songs are repeated. I tried to address this in a few different ways, but none of them have given me any success. Creating a station from a single song is, as expected, quite broad and includes too many songs that don't match the genre as much as I'd like. However, paradoxically, the more songs a playlist used as a base for autoplay contains, the narrower the selection becomes, even if the playlist includes many different genres. Some of those will get ignored completely, while the most prevalent will also be the only one after a few dozen or so songs. To make this very clear, I counted how often certain songs will be repeated and it is not uncommon for serveral to appear twice within a selection of a few dozen. Overall, after a few hours, say 6-8, it will be rare for even one new song to appear that hasn't played that day before, and many will have played three, four or even more times. This is the case no matter if the base is an album with 20 songs, or a playlist with a thousand. The mixtapes are even worse, typically they contain less than a hundred songs which will be repeated over and over, and it will be the exact same every time it's selected. This changes somewhat if I go out of my way to select individual songs to influence the algorithm, but it will inevitably degrade back to what it was before if I stop, and as I said it's something I precisely do not want to do.

So, to cut a long story short, since improving the algorithm in general is not easily done (and I don't doubt it's being worked on constantly) my suggestion is to simply add an option which lets one select for how long a time (or how many songs) any individual one is not to be repeated on the current playlist, or even better be able to set a weighting which adjusts the variance. This would allow one to choose how strictly a given genre a mix has to adhere to depending on the current mood. Ultimately I'd much rather have the 'risk' of running into a song I wouldn't have thought of picking manually if that means discovering something interesting, than always shuffling the same things the way I did with my local collection.

Thank you for your consideration

Updated on 2019-09-05

Hey @Whitemane,

Sound interesting! 

To make it a bit clearer, can you please tell us: 

1. How do you envision the song shuffle in a playlist? Can you give us several examples?
2. Do you want to have a certain limited number of times in which same songs could be repeated?
3. What do you mean by " set a weighting which adjusts the variance" exactly? How would it function?

Thanks so much for clarifying. We appreciate your ideas :)

Comments
Status changed to: Need more information

Updated on 2019-09-05

Hey @Whitemane,

Sound interesting! 

To make it a bit clearer, can you please tell us: 

1. How do you envision the song shuffle in a playlist? Can you give us several examples?
2. Do you want to have a certain limited number of times in which same songs could be repeated?
3. What do you mean by " set a weighting which adjusts the variance" exactly? How would it function?

Thanks so much for clarifying. We appreciate your ideas :)