Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Your Library] Bring Back Separate Song Title and Artist

Not sure who thought it was a great idea to reformat how one can view songs by artist or by title...? It is much more convenient to have the two, side by side, while viewing a library rather than only being able to view the artist name or song name under the other...

Updated on 2023-11-14

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that a Compact mode which hides the album art and displays the song's title and artist under two separate columns in playlists and albums is now available on the desktop app and the Web Player! Check out @MattSuda's post here for a detailed overview.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better by participating here on the Community 💚

Comments
Bun-Bun

I agree 100%. It is very difficult to scan rows of data when the data type changes from line to line.

Bring back the artist column and reduce row height. I didn't buy a big monitor to have my screen real estate to be wasted by blank space. This is a productivity desktop, not a mobile device.

Better yet, make the UI customizable with column selections and density selectors.

uimi

In the new UI artist names are secondary, they don't have their own column anymore.

For me this is a negative development. It feels like the artist is not important and you really have to search for the artist - the artist name is positioned small under title which is set in bigger and bold type... And the possibility of sorting by artist (which I use often) is more secondary too...

Please give the artist the credit he/she/they deserve - just as in the old interface: a column dedicated to the artist.

Thank you in advance.

brettashley

Agreed, I use the sort by artist all the time. It's important to be able to see blocks of songs by a particular artist and this new view is very cluttered. There used to be an option to hide / view various columns in settings, which would be super helpful in solving for this.

JohnMat

Please take back the old layout in the playlists, track, artist, album and date. The important thing is that track and artist have separate columns. This new layout, when artist and track end up in the same column is very bad and makes it much more difficult to find the artist and track you are looking for.

Elena
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-04-09

Hey @Frostman233,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Bun-Bun

This was merged.

The other idea that this was merged from had more info and better description of the problem and the solution.

Lists need customizable column selection AND artists needs to be it's own column again.

Row height also needs to be reduced and/or customizable density in settings. I don't need to see album art in every row, I need to see as many rows as possible and be able to quickly scan the data without issue.

Pete_Noir

The new UI is just horrible. It feels like it's designed for mobile instead of desktop, and that's something I can't stand. Having the artist and title in one column doesn't make any sense. People tend to read from left to right: Artist - Title - Album, in simple sorted standard columns. It takes me so much longer now to find the artist/track that I want. The album art against each title is unnecessary and is just adding to the mess. That could perhaps be a toggle.
So yeah - bring back the old columns, and add a toggle in settings for the strange people that want album art on every row.

The artist pages are also not good. Instead of all the information being presented on one page, with artist info, top tracks and then each album with the track listings, now it seems that I have to go to each individual album to see the listing. This used to be a toggleable feature, now it's not. 

There really was nothing wrong with the way it was presented before. Please, change it back or at least add options to customize the interface.  I've been using Spotify for 10 years. This is the first time I've felt like cancelling my subscription.

ELFanatic

Where do we vote to get this in development?  I literally thought I lost songs from my playlist.  Nor can I choose my columns.  Honestly, who goes through the playlist and thinks "the only way to find my songs is by album name"

illogicalhawk

If they wanted to make this change to save space then they should have put album beneath the song, not artist; the Artist column is FAR more important.

Whoever thought this up has a very poor grasp of how people actually use the product, and also relatively poor product vision, or else they would have just let us customize which columns appear, where, and in which order, which is, again, a relatively basic feature of table grids.

MuzakMaker

We shouldn't even need to suggest this to come back. 

If the team insists on combining two of the columns in to one (an abysmal idea) might I suggest combining Song and Album as those are more closely related than song and artist.

Think of things in terms of a hierarchy. Song -> Album -> Artist