Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Your Library][Albums] Slow album list loading, overall navigation issues

Solved!

[Your Library][Albums] Slow album list loading, overall navigation issues

Plan

Premium

Country

Ukraine

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

My experience is similar to the issue described here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Your-Library-Artist-Slow-loading-time-when-scrollin...

Note that changing networks, changing accounts, reinstalling the app and whatever else did not solve the issue. I believe this is not a "bug" but rather an issue with your UX design after the new update (which I really dislike, sorry).

My issue is: when you scroll the album list, the albums (or artists) are displayed in portions or batches. You enter your album list, scroll down till you reach the bottom of the batch, then it stops scrolling and takes about 0,5-1 seconds to download a new portion of albums, and so on. Seems like it does it in increments of 50 albums. App won't start loading the new portion unless you reach the bottom of the batch. I'm attaching a video to explain it better: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LMEsm0q8Uc2cS_GF9x1hYmnLgwVYfSfX/view?usp=sharing

With that in mind, reaching to the bottom of your album list takes much, much longer than it took before the UI update and it feels janky. To make it worse, if you leave the album list for any other page including one of the albums, when you return to the list you will start at the beginning, and have to scroll again.

To solve it the app should either download the albums before you reach the end of the "batch" or cache the entire album list locally so it can be displayed without re-downloading it each time in small portions. Plus, it should remember your location in album list when you leave it instead of returning to the beginning. Again, this is not the issue of network speed because the app won't start loading the new batch until you reach the bottom of the current one.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there @potatoes23,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

We appreciate you taking the time to report this and sharing that video. We've gone ahead and forwarded it to the teams in charge to be looked into. We can't commit to a timeframe for when or if this will be fixed, but make sure to keep the app updated.

If you need a hand with anything else, we're always a post away.

Cheers 🙂

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

The recent regression introduced to the UI means that albums are loaded a few dozen at a time and you have to scroll down to load more. If you then click on an album at the bottom of the alphabet (I have mine sorted by artist so 'Combat Sports' by The Vaccines, for instance) then decide you actually want to listen to a different album and click the back button you are returned to the first couple of dozen albums and have to scroll down again, loading each set of albums in batches until you finally get back to 'V'.

Not loading all albums at once has destroyed the back button. I suggest you revert the latest change to the UI until the more obvious xbugs have been ironed out. 

This happens on Windows but doesn't happen on Android - there all albums load at once and back returns me to roughly where I was before I pressed anything. This should simply be the case for the Desktop app 

Came just to post this, this has made Spotify unusable for myself, I have hundreds of saved albums and it takes me minutes just to scroll down. Would very much appreciate a regression option.

Marked as solution

Hi there @potatoes23,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

We appreciate you taking the time to report this and sharing that video. We've gone ahead and forwarded it to the teams in charge to be looked into. We can't commit to a timeframe for when or if this will be fixed, but make sure to keep the app updated.

If you need a hand with anything else, we're always a post away.

Cheers 🙂

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hi again!
Just updated the app and the issue with the list loading seems to be resolved, it even remembers the position in the list. Kudos to you guys, good job!

Hey @potatoes23,

Thanks for your post and for letting us know what helped you.

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions or issues.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I like to search for albums in my library.  It takes forever to scroll down to this in the desktop app because the albums only load dynamically.  So, if I want to find some Silversun Pickups item, it might take 45 seconds of babysitting the scroll bar downwards to get the albums to load.  Why can't they all load at once?

This is the worst!  I didn't have the problem on the older desktop app.

Suggested posts