Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Podcasts] Black Lives Matter

[Podcasts] Black Lives Matter

I find it great that Spotify has created a Black Lives Matter playlist and is promoting the Black Lives Matter community. I was however thinking how Spotify could take it a step further, by not only giving us music, but also supplying a selection of interesting podcasts that could help inform and educate us about the matter! 

9 Replies

In the same time I can say, I have no problem with the movement, but I don't really care enough about what's happening in completely another place of the world to have those playlists promoted so much with absolutely no translation given.

The app should stay localized as a whole, at least in the language part. The USA should get the promotion, the rest playlists somewhere down in the list with translation of what it is about.

@Dpdp73 while I side with you about the passive approach you have towards the movement, your comment is irrelevant to the idea posted. @Dpdp73 your idea is a good idea as other users also feel annoyed by the heavy promotion by the playlist, you should post your idea as a new idea and see if you can get it changed!

@SpotfyUser268  I think that is a great idea, I feel more people are uninformed on the matter especially the ones participating in violent riots. While music is powerful, podcasts are also powerful through the flow of knowledge. Perhaps people will gain a greater understanding and perspective of the movement. As a white man myself who has experienced nothing what the Black Lives Matter movement is fighting for I would definitely benefit.

That's just my perspective

BLM is an AFAscist movement thus Spotify should not promote them.

I have no problem with making a BLM playlist..however don't advertise it on everyones board, especially when the song NWA- FTP is on the list, Solidarity means bringing together not ostracizing certain groups

Think it was a poor choice of song for making a playlist called “In Solidarity”

I think this is a great idea, I came to this page to make the exact suggestion. Having a "black lives matter" or "racial equality and justice" category under podcasts would be a great way to advocate for people to learn about oppression and privilege.

I **bleep**ING HATE HOW THEY ARE DOING IT I JUST WANT TO LISTEN TO MY MOTHER**bleep**ING MUSIC NOT LOOK AND**bleep** LIKE THIS, THE ONLY REASON WHY THEY DO IT IS FOR PEOPLE TO LIKE THEM AS A COMPANY, THEY DON'T ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT ANYONE THEY ONLY WANT MONEY

As a compromise, Spotify could choose not to promote the matter, but to make it a subcategory under podcasts (which would only show up if you go to the podcast section specifically). I think there are various categories on Spotify, be it music or podcasts, that do not interest me (eg gaming music) but I would not ask Spotify to remove this category completely for me just because I won't listen to it. Scrolling past a category that does not interest you does not take much time and isn't a great inconvenience, especially if many others do make use of the category. It would not have to be specifically about BLM, if this is too political, but could be about race and racism more generally.  

Hey there folks,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here in the Community!

We'll be moving this idea suggestion to our Help Boards for now as it's already possible to find select educational content in the app. To get started, you can head to the Black History is Now hub.

Have a lovely day!

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

I don't think they should be forcing it down everyone's throats

Suggested posts