Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Account] Change Username

I know this is probably out there somewhere already, but I find it quite frustrating that I was assigned a "username" of lots of numbers when my account was created.  It makes it hard for people to find me, as I can't remember my username, let alone try to get them to.  Can we please make it an option to change our username?  Even if there is a once-a-year change or something...that would be such a helpful thing!

Updated on 2020-03-12

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea.

Your username is designed to identify you on Spotify, so it can’t change.
However, you can now add or change your display name on mobile!
A display name replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity.

There's more on this here.

Comments
austinurban45

C'mon spotify, simple things like this should handled by this point in your operation... make some of these changes please!

marvinrodri

It is one of the most anoying things. How can't we change our own usernames?

absorr

Insight of a random app developer and not me throwing shade I love Spotify too much to do that:

Only reason they would not be able to do this is if they have a bad database structure to where they use your username everywhere in the database rather than a random key assigned to you. I really hope this is not the case and that they use random keys like the rest of the world.

If they do use random keys: There is literally nothing stopping them but themselves. There's a lot of support for this issue (yes, issue) and they need to at the very least address it.

If their database is poorly made: They need to either make a new database structure and transfer the data over OR go through the painful process of changing the username everywhere it occurs.

Hope I was helpful! Ya'll have yourselves a great day!

P.S. love that I can set covers to my playlists more than words can say thanks for implementing that 😄

jonaslah

Really sad that they didn't even make a statement on this since all the people that created their account with facebook is stuck with that random numbers username...

You should implement this feature. Please do it!

trollbaer

Yes, please implement that. We can't just all create a new account for the username..

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Not Right Now
Updated: 2016-11-21

Hey everyone! We are marking this idea as 'not right now' but please note can now find your friends by searching for either their Spotify username or their full name (if their Spotify account is linked to their Facebook). Thanks again for your continued feedback!

paulostello

Why can't we change our user name. What's the f**cking problem with doing that? It's a f**cking poxy music site not a bank !! 

1issabella

I WANT TO CHANGE MY USERNAME NOW. THIS IS CRAZY I DIDN'T PICK THIS!

donnerfranco

pls add this feature asap...! I hate my username as well. The account has been a gift as well. Why not use a hidden number or guid as the primary key and the username as an attribute of the account? Can't be rocket since...