Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Account] Change Username

I know this is probably out there somewhere already, but I find it quite frustrating that I was assigned a "username" of lots of numbers when my account was created.  It makes it hard for people to find me, as I can't remember my username, let alone try to get them to.  Can we please make it an option to change our username?  Even if there is a once-a-year change or something...that would be such a helpful thing!

Updated on 2020-03-12

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea.

Your username is designed to identify you on Spotify, so it can’t change.
However, you can now add or change your display name on mobile!
A display name replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity.

There's more on this here.

Comments

You can now change your profile name on the community support but still can't update your username in the actual application.

Stephen_

Well, I'm tired of this. I'm checking out Deezer, has the same payment tiers plus a HiFi option, scrobbles to last.fm fine, app could use a little help but it's not bad and is in some ways more functional than Spotify's UI. Plus, guess what... It uses a User ID that's a random number, and you 👏 can 👏 change 👏 your 👏 username 👏....

I'll figure out the playlist migration on my own I guess.

Staff
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2019-09-03

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're keeping this idea as 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks

zorren
You just gave a msg to your users: WE DONT CARE ABOUT YOU...
JackH429

Then what are you DOING?!?! Most people don't care about podcasts that much so LEAVE THEM ALONE. You've told us for 4 years that you were making "improvements" to Lyrics. We all know that Lyrics and Changing Usernames doesn't bring in that cash. But do it for the "fans" (or at least people that hate Apple Music more then you)

Rinoa_H-H

**bleep**... really?

last update was like 2 years ago and still no good answer on why not... I mean... I'll keep posting.. hope everyone else keeps doing it to keep it in the Top Ideas... Man!!! this is really frustrating....

TRobbs

After skimming the hot/top ideas, I get the sense that this is just an annoyance that their users have that is tolerable given the direction they want to go as a company.  In my opinion, the only way this gets addressed is if people are vocal and then cancel their subscription.  Consider it "paying it forward" for anyone else in the future that considers signing up for Spotify.

I, personally, tried their 3 months for 99cents/month Premium deal and, while the music selection was good, the app and service were subpar - I didn't renew and only follow these posts because it affirms I made the right choice.

All it will take is for Spotify to lose some content deals and they will quickly suffer.  At this stage, they're probably hoping to be bought before they have to worry about that.

Stephen_

@Staff

Respectfully, can we get a solid explanation for why something like a display name and User ID number combo, like what Deezer has, can't be implemented?

I understand the older and larger a code base is the harder it is to add even small features, but I have a hard time imagining how adding a display name field to profiles, and renaming the username field to something more descriptive like "User ID" could be difficult. Yes, It may take a while from start to finish, but it doesn't seem like it would be very intensive work compared to other features we've seen implemented recently.

All I think most of us are really asking is to see it officially put on the roadmap.

Stephen_

For those willing to go through the work, MOOVAL (https://www.mooval.de) is a service that transfers your library (liked songs, playlists, saved artists and albums) from one account and/or service to another. It works between accounts on Spotify, Napster, and Deezer. I can't vouch for the privacy policy since I haven't looked into it just yet, but the service seems promising.

You can check out Napster or Deezer easily with it; or if you want to stick with Spotify and just replace your ancient username with the new-ish random username by creating a new account and migrating your library, you can do that too.

Just remember, if you're a student you must wait until the next time your student status is up for renewal before applying the discount to another Spotify account. (https://support.spotify.com/us/account_payment_help/premium_for_students/student-discount/)

Pvmpkin

Hey there,

A similar idea or topic has already been raised here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Premium-for-Family/Family-Plan-Change-Address/m-p/4486993#M18605

Kindly add your votes and comments there please!

Kind regards,

Pvmpkin