Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Account] Change Username

I know this is probably out there somewhere already, but I find it quite frustrating that I was assigned a "username" of lots of numbers when my account was created.  It makes it hard for people to find me, as I can't remember my username, let alone try to get them to.  Can we please make it an option to change our username?  Even if there is a once-a-year change or something...that would be such a helpful thing!

Updated on 2020-03-12

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea.

Your username is designed to identify you on Spotify, so it can’t change.
However, you can now add or change your display name on mobile!
A display name replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity.

There's more on this here.

Comments
BraelynnAlex

I just wanted to edit my profile name according to my website URL how I can do this

Proteus846

It is completely absurd that username changes aren't possible on Spotify. This is a service I pay for, and I have a username I've replaced everywhere else on the web. Deleting my account and making a new one isn't an option for me, as I would lose my free Hulu access (since that isn't an option anymore) and it would be a huge hassle to transfer over all of my playlists and other content along with integrations and listening data.

Other services have proven that you can hold on to a username and present a different name on the user's end. Steam does this, for example. Other services assign a random alphanumeric string to each user, and allow them to change the user-facing name chosen. Either option would work just fine, and it would be immensely appreciated considering I pay monthly for this service.

jefflefunk

It's time for Spotify to let us choose our own username again. Alle social media platform accounts are defined by their usernames and not display names. This is so annoying!

coellum

please let us change our usernames, thanksig

Kranic

+1 on being able to change username.

A few reasons:

• Changing usernames is BCP for all major platforms.
  • I feel very strongly that old usernames have the same standing as first names.
  • In this day and age, changing your legal name from a deadname is (relatively) easy.
  • Considering usernames might not reflect the user anymore, changing usernames should be on par with changing legal names.
  • Users might opt to want to change their usernames out of personal safety considerations. I.e. a user might want to change their username in order to avoid a stalker.
  • It's 2021.

For me, the biggest reason would be so I can publish public playlists under my artist instead of having to create a second account for this.

Besides, if this is a technical issue; using usernames as the primary key for linking accounts is just a terrible idea. Let alone not being able to cascade those changes to the related tables. But I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Considering that Spotify is currently (finally) considering the block feature, I hope that Spotify will also consider to include/combining it with this feature. Keep your users safe Spotify.

JackH429

Hey Spotify, even Snapchat is now allowing users in Australia to change their username. So if they can figure out how to tackle the complexity of user identification, I’m sure ur barely social music app can do so as well.

serbanpaun

I have created a Spotify account using Google sign-in and now my username looks something like 213dfsfgh45t93827tey6fghv. Who can remember this madness??

Spotify, please allow us to change our username, like we do on the rest of the platforms, where there is less madness.

Thanks!