Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Account] Change Username

I know this is probably out there somewhere already, but I find it quite frustrating that I was assigned a "username" of lots of numbers when my account was created.  It makes it hard for people to find me, as I can't remember my username, let alone try to get them to.  Can we please make it an option to change our username?  Even if there is a once-a-year change or something...that would be such a helpful thing!

Updated on 2020-03-12

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea.

Your username is designed to identify you on Spotify, so it can’t change.
However, you can now add or change your display name on mobile!
A display name replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity.

There's more on this here.

Comments
geofffitch

So stupid. When you sign up it just says "what do you want to be called?" That's your name forever, without any indication of the implications of this choice. 

EmilGirginov

Recently someone hacked my facebook and instagram account and now i see that my username has changed to a combination of letters and numbers, and i didnt do anything.
What can i do to change my username since logging in with facebook doesnt get my old username back ?

Danny-Iftikhar

@meahtenoha wrote:

Updated on 2017-10-23

Hi everyone, we wanted to give this idea an update for those that have voted recently. We're keeping the status as 'Not Right Now' as we don't have plans to allow users to change their username at this time. Of course we'll let you all know if this changes in the next year. 

Also, please remember you can find your friends by searching for either their Spotify username or their full name (if their Spotify account is linked to their Facebook). Thanks again for your continued feedback!

It's been nearly 2 years and no update following this one, i think out of all the ideas posted here, this is one of the most useful feature to have. Its also a very popular idea within the community as you can see and would be well worth implementing as it seems to be an issue for the wider Spotify user base. Most people who made their accounts years ago would find it useful to have a username change function available, which is a common thing in most types of website. In my own case, I originally created Spotify and linked it to my Facebook account. However when i decided to close my FB account i was left with a horrible number-based username, which makes it a pain for people to find me anymore. It's just very inconvenient that de-linking your Facebook account renders your Spotify account with an unchangeable username, and i'm certainly not gonna create another account after having for so many years, just to have a proper username again. I speak for a vast amount of people when I say that this should certainly become a new feature. Appreciate it.

Jicam38
I created a new account for my daughter (not connected to Facebook) and I was asked for a username, which I added. When I pressed “register account” Spotify totally ignored my username request and instead gave me the long list of letters/ numerals. Why would they ask me for a username and then not use it?

Spotify’s continued disregard to our request to set or change our user name is shocking!

They really don’t deserve our business. My family is going to look for another music app that is customer service focussed.
inigoml
Come on, Spotify Product Owners... It's time to develop this functionality!
What else do you need... a Facebook group??? ;-D
If you give me access to source code I can do it for free. 😉

As an extra ultra-new-exclusive-original feature you could add Gmail
account support... X-D
Varijess
I spend so much money on Spotify and have done over the years of loyal consumption but still, my name is just a number like a bot. Way to care about customers. I am not reactivating Facebook just to have my name displayed and I don't want to lose playlists from years ago. Urgh.
terry_bitchas

i know the "username" is a bunch of random letters i cant change but the display is my deadname and i cant give my spotify to some friends because i dont want them to find out. and i for sure don't wanna make a new account

mich_23

Still on "Not right now"?

MusicNonStopXX

I would also like to change my user name which I chose years ago. It is not allowed by now. 😞

But could someone please help me: Where can I chose a profile name? That would already help me a lot.

Or is it too late and a profile name should have been chosen while registrating?

Thanks a lot!

MireleMartins

I can't believe this haven't change yet. Spotify, basics for keeping you users feeling like they're dear to u . I'm not just a number that give's you money every month; I'm a person and I want to be called by my name.