Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add support for Google ChromeCast

Will you be adding support to the ChromeCast that Google announced today? Would be great to be able to easily stream music from all my devices to my receiver and tv.

Please see the Api information here: https://developers.google.com/cast/

Update: implementing ChromeCast is superior to using the Chrome browser plugin to move a tab with the Spotify web interface to your TV for multiple reasons. Most importantly:

- You can stream higher fidelity

- You can stream from every device, not only from a computer/laptop

- You can control from multiple devices (so if I leave the room my wife can control Spotify with her phone)

If implemented correctly this would match the functionality of Sonos for a much lower price.

Update February 4th 2014: Okay, so Google has released the SDK now. Please start working on the functionality or at the very minimum give an update to the status...

Update February 19th 2014: 2,000 kudos, hundreds of replies (with more than a handful of cancelations). Apparently Spotify Germany has confirmed Chromecast support is coming. An update would be nice

Update March 24th 2014: 2,500 kudos and still no update. Cancelled my subscription today. Sorry, but if you don't listen to your paying customers we will have to speak with our wallets.

Updated: 2015-10-22

In collaboration with Google, we’re thrilled to announce one of your most requested features here in The Spotify Idea Exchange is here. Spotify now works with your Chromecast.

With Chromecast, listening at home is easy. Simply plug in and cast music directly from your phone or tablet. Play, skip, browse and search using the Spotify app--all Spotify users will get the on demand experience on Chromecast. Oh, and feel free to make calls, watch a video or play games - the music will keep playing. Even if your battery runs out.

To learn more about how you can listen at home, head over to www.spotify.com/at-home.

Spotify on Chromecast from SpotifyCares on Vimeo.

Comments
OptimaForma

manditory 1 post, goddamnit spotify you suck **bleep** big time. ok. here you go

Crwnblk

Please add the option of finding Chromecast without having to first turn on my phone and start the app. Just so my desktop then can see it. Using work around for now by opening web player in Chrome, but it would be nice to just open the app once. On my desktop without having to stop what I am doing. Find my phone open the app and start on Chrome Audio, or CC. Then start working agin on my desktop.

Crwnblk

Please add the option of finding Chromecast without having to first turn on my phone and start the app. Just so my desktop then can see it. Using work around for now by opening web player in Chrome, but it would be nice to just open the app once. On my desktop without having to stop what I am doing. Find my phone open the app and start on Chrome Audio, or CC. Then start working agin on my desktop.

hamer2

I cancelled my Spotify subscription today solely because I cant use chromecast with the pc app. Chrome is a clunky workaround. My whole family are mad at me but I want to cast from the PC so Spotify is dead to me. Back to Google music I suppose..... Thanks a lot

bobw

Please add the ability to direct cast from the WIndows/Mac desktop/laptop apps.  Spotify Connect does not work, or not easily.

ryankhart

In all fairness to Spotify, regarding Chromecast finding support for the desktop apps, last I heard, the responsibility falls on Google because they have not made available a Chromecast API for desktop apps. Just mobile apps and a Chrome extension. If Chromecast finding capabilities where possible for the desktop version of Spotify, it would be hack at best, and could break anytime Google pushes out an update to the Chromecast devices. That's why I think Spotify isn't doing anything about it.

coffeencoke

Spotify could use my phone to proxy my computer to my chromecast without requiring me to open my phone to begin using my chromecast. I don't think this would be a hack so much as a work-around for an unsupported use case, and I don't think this would be susceptible to breaking by Google's updates. As long as the mobile chromecast feature works, and mobile Spotify communicates correctly with Desktop spotify, this should be solvable.

Example:

Given I open Spotify on my computer

And I have a spotify account on my phone

And my phone has a chromecast available

When I view available devices on my computer

Then it aggregates devices that my phone has access to also

(This list comes from an API that the phone publishes to Spotify connect)

When I select a chromecast device from my computer's Spotify

Then it begins playing music from my phone using the chromecast device

I think Spotify can invent a solid way to solve this problem, and it would make a lot of people happy.

coffeencoke

Update: Found another issue for Chromecast on Desktop, I moved my post over there.

olic1234567890

Yeah i agree. Totally should be a future implement.

vishnuraj

test