Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add video on casted TV device for podcasts casted via Chromecast/Roku etc.

Podcasts that currently have video available on your mobile or desktop device, lose the video feature once you cast it to a TV via Chromecast. This is a major surprise as this is a frequent way of watching video podcasts on TV. Please consider casting the video part of the podcast along with the audio on casted devices.

IMG_20200901_125644.jpg

Updated on 2021-09-16

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this feature is now available on multiple big screen devices, such as Chromecast and Roku (Roku TVs with firmware 8.2/ Roku Set top Boxes with firmware 9.0).

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
Weldingwookie

RCA Roku TV. No video.  HUGE bummer.

ej-gsk5ek_xzt

Spotify. You are a joke.

Zike32

This issue I'm bringing up is not brand new but it has to do with video playback on smart TV's and smart TV platforms.

As we all know joe rogan signed a six figure deal with spotify exclusively that goes into effect January 1st 2021.

As of this moment October 7th 2020 video does not work on the roku or amazon fire tv apps.

Youtube video still works but once January 1st rolls around I will not have that option.

The way that spotify has been working with TV's has been through casting.  Everything begins on the mobile device (iPhone, iPad, android phone/tablet) but then you link your account from the mobile device to the tv platform (roku, fire tv, android tv, apple tv, chromecast, samsung, LG web OS, etc).  After the linking is done the music or podcast begins playing on the tv.

The problem is if you're watching a music video or podcast video and you try to continue either onto the tv platform of choice, only the audio continues.  The video stops at that specific moment on the mobile device.

THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM.  There are times when I ONLY want to LISTEN to the AUDIO and then there are times when I ONLY want to WATCH on the TV.

I have seen a few other posts on spotify's forums in regards to casting on chromecast and amazon fire tv specifically but this video casting issue affects ALL TV PLATFORMS.

Someone in one of these posts says it has to do with DRM.  Whether it's true or not it doesn't matter.  If GOOGLE/YOUTUBE can make it work so should spotify.

After all spotify spent six figures to Joe rogan's rights.  Maybe spotify should have spent some of that money making their apps better.

Regardless spotify needs to get it fixed or else I'm going to abandon spotify, joe rogan podcast, or both all together.

And if spotify decides to make this a feature of premium I'm definitely going to abandon spotify.

Potcho

Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said, just adding my voice to the pile of people that want the video cast feature! 

raphaelodea

I will definitely be cancelling my subscription to Spotify if I CAN'T WATCH!! the JRE podcast. Spotify has dropped the ball to say the least. If I wasn't really annoyed I would find it hilarious that Spotify had not thought about this being an issue earlier. 

Please don't ruin an awesome podcast with your lack of thought or insane censorship.

OctoberDelight

“Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.”    

What would the necessary amount of “Votes” be to add this missing requirement....This isn’t a New Idea...it is an Urgent Missing Requirement Fix!!!!!!  If users can easily view Rogan in You-Tube....why not Spodify?

Likewise....The effort to find this feedback forum won’t be taken by many...Was tricky to initially navigate here.

Most obliged for your immediate assistance.

JQuill

Even when I screen cast my phone screen to my TV...Spotify blacks out the display once you open the app while screen casting.... Guys they're actively blocking the video signal from reaching the TV in any way shape or form. They're not just "forgetting to include a feature"... They're actively paying employees to come up with ways to block the video from your TV. This forum post will not solve anything. I encourage you all the cancel your premium subscription. JRE is cool because it's been free to access for years. I'm not paying anybody for the privelage of hearing two people on mushrooms rant for four hours and then have them act like we're stealing a video signal when we try to hit the cast button.... Get real.... cancelled. I just switched to Apple music LOL 😂

OctoberDelight

This is just terrible....Spodify **bleep** us all.  Bite me.

dieselboy
  • This is absolutely ridiculous.
  • The fact that this wasn’t figured out before signing Joe is asinine. Knowing full well how huge the video views on YouTube are, the fact we can’t view video on any TV streaming platform is absolutely inexcusable.
  • I will be cancelling my subscription if this is not figured out by January 1. 
Schristiansen

Why dose the video for JRE work on my phone and use up my data but I can't watch the video on my tv.