Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] All 9999 offline Tracks assigned to a single Device

Currently there is a limit of 9999 downloaded tracks spread acress 3 devices (3333 tracks per device). This means if you have a large playlist you are stuck with a subset on a deivce or swap device. 

My idea is that this 9999 tracks be more dynamic, it should be that I can use my 9999 tracks on any of my devices and just one if I so wish. 

Please can this be implemented as it will allow a much more user friendly experience and allows people with a large playlist the freedom of having that playlist on their device without having to cut down the list or split it across devices.

Updated on 2018-09-12

At Spotify, we’re always working on improving the experience for our users. We can now confirm that we have increased the number of offline tracks per device - from 3333 on 3 devices to 10.000 tracks per device for up to 5 devices.

Comments
khermansen77

Ok, seriously - I'll accept the fact that this gets labeled as an "idea", but I can't shake the feeling it's like contacting Pirelli and suggesting round tires.

I'm in radiostar's exact situation - I control EVERYTHING from my phone and only download there. I have a 128gb sd card in it - and I could not understand why the download kept stopping.

Darn Spotify - now you're forcing me to go back to Google Play Music again. You're currently winning on two fronts; it's a free Spotify account on my Rogers account ... and I like the control I have over all my devices.

But you are losing BADLY on several fronts;
1. Why on earth can't I add my own library?  Even at a premium! And I'm not talking about adding a folder on one of my computers that will then refuse to play anywhere else - I'm talking about adding albums that become available on all my devices. I could do this on Google Play Music 2-3 years ago and I HATE that I lost that functionality.
2. This download limit is absolutley breaking this for me. First - the limit in itself. I'm assuing this is some way for you to sweeten the deal with wireless providers (yeah, I've seen your bandwidth use on Extreme streaming month by month). Second ... WITH the limit, I can't consolidate to one device? Clearly you put this in place 3-4 years ago when nobody thought of using cell phones to control everything ... but these days my cell phone autostarts Spotify when my car starts, it runs my home stereo, my work stereo, all speakers systems ... it's archaic to say the least.

This needs fixing, but I doubt I'll stick around to see it fixed. The bandwidth use is too high - and I HATE not being able to fill the holes in your library from my own shelf.

radiotsar
khermansen77 - pretty sure you can "fill the holes". I uploaded my Beatles LPs and other songs not on Spotify into my computer using Goldwave, and somehow (it was some time ago, so I don't recall how) I was able to add these songs to my playlist. Then I transferred the same songs to my sd card on my phone and Spotify picked them up there as well. Now I have to work on my Dad's 50s/60s Chicago Polka band LPs!
khermansen77

Yeah ... well, I looked up some tips on it - and what I did was add a "Spotify" folder to my Dropbox. I then added the tracks there and proceeded to add that folder to all my devices (as Dropbox is synced).

However, I can't seem to find any way to do this on my phone (in Spotify I mean ... Dropbox does sync to my phone too). All the tracks just show up as "unplayable", even if Spotify is running on one of my laptops on the same wifi.

It's still a pretty bad solution compared to the Google setup. All they need to do is grant each Premium user 1gb of upload space ... or something like that. I don't need much - I just need to get Tool on there at least.

ivanyancey

Yesterday I purchased a 128 gb SD card, specifically so I could download my entire Spotify library and conserve my monthly mobile data allowance. To my disappointment, I discovered this 3,333 song download limit partway through the download process. I hate to come off as a first world complainer, as 3,333 songs is a truly significant amount of music; however, I cannot help but feel bitter after investing in a fairly expensive storage device to hold my full library.

For now I will simply have to build a playlist of ~3,333 songs that I absolutely need/want downloaded, out of the 9000+ in my library.

And to any Spotify Support representative reading this: if it is not possible to ever raise/eliminate this 3,333 per device download limit, can we at least have a general reason why this is so? (i.e. licensing issues, impossible to program, etc.)

Likewise, if a solution to this issue is planned, it would be reassuring to be made aware of this.

Hopefully this can be fixed in the near future. 

christopherhall
Perhaps another answer could be that of we only use one device and thus only able to download 3333 song out of the 9999 advertised we should only pay a third of the price. Ivanyancey you are right about licencing issues. I'm thinking more for us though? If we only use one device and can only download a third of what is advertised is that a trade descriptions issue? Chris
SeanLM
Yes! I'd like no limits, or els3 it makes no sense to pay, but this is a good start! I only use my phone for offline downloads.
matt87
3333 is too little. Please allow more offline songs on one device!
jayubba

Apple music does not have a limit. Time to switch!

khermansen77

... yeah - I'm not religious though - so Apple's not for me.

Spotify is "free" for me through my wireless provider ... but I just encountered yet another restriction; apparently I can only have 10.000 songs in "Your Music" as well. It  seems Spotify is worried they'll run out of database relations. A lot of these restrictions just seem so archaic to me - this latest one I assume was put into place because certain apps/devices had problems loading 10k+ playlists.

The thing that bothers me the most though, is that - even though the app on my phone knows it's capped and can't download any more songs - it still tries every time it gets onto a new Wifi network. The notification comes up; "Downloading 0 of 5879 songs" ... and stays there. Whenever I start Spotify it says "Error - could not download". It casts it as an error - not as a known limitation.

(I know there are likely a dozen bad workarounds to this too; add multiple playlists at <3333 songs and only download one of them ... would be one workaround, I expect. But ... why?)

Either way - I like Spotify - I love the fact that I can control all other devices - and it works well in my car ... and it's free for me.

But - I started my Google Play Music Premium subscription back up. It has no restrictions on download, playlists or my library. It allows me to upload (not just link) all my music. It works just as well in my car. I just don't like the UI quite as much - and I miss the remote functionality - but that's it. And obviously I now have to pay for an extra service I'm basically getting for free already.

Spotify - when I PAY for a competing service after getting your service for free ... that's a massive fail on your part. Doesn't change your bottom line though - so I guess you don't care.

Lexden66

I started with Spotify on January 4th with a 3 month trial for premium. By yesterday I had already reached this ridiculous limit of 3,333 songs. Its made a big disapointment to my Spotify experience. I travel a lot for work both car and plane and so I am now faced with deciding which tracks I want offline when. Even my very old 20GB Ipad could handle more songs. Not sure I will extend my use of spotify beyond the 3 month trial.