Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Bookmark Position in an Audiobook or Podcast

Hey there,

Now that Spotify have added a bunch of Audiobooks and Podcasts, I think it would be a nice idea to have the option to:
Pause your audiobook/podcast > go back to listening to music > and then be able to get back to your book/podcast and pick up where you left of, without having to memorize the time that you paused.

What do you think?

Have a good enough day!

< moderator edits >

Updated on 2018-10-15

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Community.

We're setting this one to implemented.
Although there's not a specific 'bookmarking' feature, Spotify does now keep track of where you left off in a podcast, and store that progress for you across your devices and sessions.

If you'd like to see the same behaviour for audio books, we'd recommend making a new Community Idea for this. In the meantime, we've passed all of your feedback along to the right teams.

Thanks!

Comments
ranosch

I think this is a great idea and is in fact already partially implemented in Podcasts. So it should be easy to at least enable the 'podcast version' of this feature, as I suggested here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/All-Platforms-Improve-how-Spotify-treats-audiobook...

maxfax007

the titles of audiobooks are often so long that it really sucks to find out the title number.

and then I need to memorize it or take a screenshot

a bookmark feature would be a huge improvement!!

klookster11

ACTION TIME! Everyone, let's make this happen.
Just tweet this text below to @SpotifyCares

Dear Spotify, we, your customers, want this feature:
https://goo.gl/w6bLaF
Please make it happen!

The Link leads to this topic. Power in numbers!

klookster11

Let's do it!

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-05 um 08.27.02.png

klookster11

They replied very quick. Here's the history:
Spotify: "Hi Dennis! This isn't possible at the moment, but we'll be sure to pass your thoughts on to the team. We'd also suggest adding your vote to this idea to help convince our developers. Anything else, let us know /NY"

Me: "Thanks for your reply. Why not? And how do I do this?"
Spotify: (ignoring my question about the reason it's impossible and talking about the vote)

Me: "Thanks. But still, why is it not possible when it's working with podcasts?"

Spotify: "We don't have any info to share at the moment, but we'll be sure to post updates on this once we have an update. If you need us again, you know where to find us /NY"

I wonder why this is such a secret... So let's vote on the upper right corner of the topic!

Malte1203

Thanks @klookster11!

Since the topic is almoste three years old I don't think we'll hear back from than any time.

Maybe the structure of audio books is down to monetization, maybe they don't have to pay the full royalities to authors when you only listen to part of the chapters. While when having it as a podcast the full royalities might be due the moment one starts listening to the book.

But that would a big disadvantage for the authors and I don't know why they should agree to the "current" terms.

Might also be just lasyness 😄

Goldingo

Please look into this. It would be very well received. *Bookmark option*

Benutzer1

Ich finde die Funktion, Lesezeichen zu setzen, sehr wichtig, ohne diese machen die Hoerbuecher keinen Spass und Sinn!

Ich moechte gerne mir einen bestimmte Stelle merken und sie spaeter nocheinmal anhoeren (ohne mir umstaendlich Notizen machen und Links schicken zu muessen). Und ich moechte, gerade wenn ich mehrere Hoerbuecher hoere, im jeweiligen Hoerbuch an der zuletzt gehoerte Stelle weiterhoeren ohne grossen Aufwand. Wenn es so bleibt, ist es zu unkomfortabel und ich wechsel lieber wieder zu Audible.

Und ich wuensche mir ein deutschsprachiges Forum

Und eine Funktion, die alle Umlaute und verbotenen Buchstaben markiert anzeigt, die nicht erlaubt sind, so dass ich den Text nicht zwanzig mal lesen und korrigieren muss!

Benutzer1

Ich finde die Funktion, Lesezeichen zu setzen, sehr wichtig, ohne diese machen die Hoerbuecher keinen Spass und Sinn!

Ich moechte gerne mir einen bestimmte Stelle merken und sie spaeter nocheinmal anhoeren (ohne mir umstaendlich Notizen machen und Links schicken zu muessen). Und ich moechte, gerade wenn ich mehrere Hoerbuecher hoere, im jeweiligen Hoerbuch an der zuletzt gehoerte Stelle weiterhoeren ohne grossen Aufwand. Wenn es so bleibt, ist es zu unkomfortabel und ich wechsel lieber wieder zu Audible.

Und ich wuensche mir ein deutschsprachiges Forum

Und eine Funktion, die alle Umlaute und verbotenen Buchstaben markiert anzeigt, die nicht erlaubt sind, so dass ich den Text nicht zwanzig mal lesen und korrigieren muss!

Mitch1266

Bookmarks are Essential to listening to an audio book.  I bought spotify hearing thatthey have audiobooks.  Well it's impossible to find the last spot you listened and therefore very frustrating as one end up listening to the same parts over and over again! I never listen to one book in one ! Think I'll cancel my membership if this isn't reopened.