Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Bookmark Position in an Audiobook or Podcast

Hey there,

Now that Spotify have added a bunch of Audiobooks and Podcasts, I think it would be a nice idea to have the option to:
Pause your audiobook/podcast > go back to listening to music > and then be able to get back to your book/podcast and pick up where you left of, without having to memorize the time that you paused.

What do you think?

Have a good enough day!

< moderator edits >

Updated on 2018-10-15

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Community.

We're setting this one to implemented.
Although there's not a specific 'bookmarking' feature, Spotify does now keep track of where you left off in a podcast, and store that progress for you across your devices and sessions.

If you'd like to see the same behaviour for audio books, we'd recommend making a new Community Idea for this. In the meantime, we've passed all of your feedback along to the right teams.

Thanks!

Comments
IWantSunshine

christianhuber2: Excactly. I can't imagine this to be a very hard task. Just have a file in the background with playlist_name + track_No + poisition-hh-mm-ss entries into which Spotify saves the progress. When starting a playlist if there is an entry for that playlist in the file then play from the location indicated, otherwise play from the beginnig. It seems quite simple. (Also, there are a number of music player apps which can remember the poisition in all playlist. Actually, even my ore-2010 CD player remembers the track/position/progress for each CD...)

kurlhunz

This is a really cool idea and crucial to use audiobooks. I don't get why on one side you add TONS of audiobooks but make it impossible to listen to them (and nobody listens to a full audiobook without listening to music in-between and then cursing to have to find where you left.

Maybe just keep a history of all albums (when did you leave an album) and offer to continue an album where you left?

rugata

I am very disapointed.

I also reached out to the moderator who changed the idea to maybe later and got also no answer (it was weeks ago)...

I mean if it is too much work for you to change all your integrated audiobooks from music- to audioboooks-satus, then make it just like it is with itunes. Give us the opportunity to change the preferences of a Playlist. When I can change over the playlist, that this is a audiobook, then your player could save and remember the played tracks and where I stopped and also automatically remove the shuffle button , and so on... I mean this is not much work for you... And would give us the freedom to construct Playlists with many audiobooks, wich then I could hear in the right order without making 200 playlists of individual audiobook of one writer (in Germany for example The ??? wich have at the moment 191 cases...)

And please take this and us finally seriously! It is getting ridiculous!

IWantSunshine

The lack of this function is the only reason why I also use Google Play Music... I listen to a playlist in Spotify, find a song that I love and I want to listen to more songs from that singer/band. But I'm too afraid that I lose my position in the playlist, so I stop Spotify, open Google Play Music, look up the singer/band there, listen to a few of their other songs, then stop Google Play Music and return to Spotify. In 2018 this is just awkward... 😞

Mea_0

Hi,
whats the status about this?

Last Update seems to be from 2015

FurryFox

I agree with everyone else here, since 2015 the status hasn't changed, why are you ignoring us for 3 years. I'm wondering if anyone is even reading this idea or these comments.

With audiobooks it is absolutely essential to remember the position where you're leaving off, especially when someone listens to more than one audiobook. It's not just a nice to have thing, it is a necessary feature for audiobooks.

So please open your eyes and listen to us, why are you offering audiobooks without a proper feature to use them. There are many users (including me) that pay on a monthly basis in order to use spotify and it's features, but if the features don't exist, how are we supposed to make use of them?

rh001

bringing this idea up.

Is there any chance to get this function in near future

someuser11

Cannot believe there ist still no possibility to do this! 😞

u3j-g_6zxw8v

Ja Bitte bitte ein Lesezeichen, das fehlt mir sehr!!!

no_j-tncj3b5x

Insane that this hasn't been fixed even with the big push for podcasts on Spotify.