Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Browse] Bring back Appears On section

Its ridiculous that such useful feature is removed while the annoying behind the lyrics is still there instead of lyrics.

We want the Appears On section back!

Stop disabling good functions that provide help to customers!

WE WANT APPEARS ON SECTION BACK!

Updated on 2020-07-15

Hey there folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your votes and comments to this idea.

We're happy to announce that the Appears On section should now be back.

Thanks, and happy listening!

Comments
ebon_ibex

"APPEARS ON" IS AN ESSENTIAL FEATURE. 

RESTORE RESTORE RESTORE!!! 🤬

jessebrosenthal

Perhaps we should been suggesting, everywhere, that the reason Spotify removed this feature is because it is most widely used by the hip-hop community.

ebon_ibex

Not true in the slightest. I don't even listen to hip hop yet I'm still heavily affected by the removal of said feature. Let's please not misuse or abuse the scope of a legitimate civil rights movement for personal gain. 

jessebrosenthal
I said MOST WIDELY USED. Which it is. Hip-Hop is the only genre where
artists are featured on virtually every album. Obviously it affects other
genres as well, and I listen to many different kinds of music but in no
other genre do emerging artists gain traction in the same way by featuring
heavily on other artists albums and singles before releasing their own.
That’s just true. Whether or not you listen to it. I’m not saying it only
affects the hip-hop community. I’m saying it affects us the most.
ebon_ibex

Classical music fans are making similar statements. But you may not be aware if you're solely listening to hip hop tho. This is a huge issue for classical composers and instrumentalists. 

garrettlucero

This hurts people who listen to any genre, guys. Hip-hop, classical, electronic/EDM, literally any genre.

If someone's been featured on a compilation album, done a remix, vocal feature, etc. regardless of genre, all of that is now no longer visible to users. It sucks for users and sucks even more for artists as listeners can no longer easily view half of the work they've done.

i_eat_nerds

Bring it back,

Bring it back.

Let us know when something is going to change. 

-not lyrics, just a request

Peter
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2020-06-19

Hey @VladVega,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new idea. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

This is an essential feature for discovering music by vocalists and artists who frequently appear on compilations. I hope it will return soon.

gBasgaard

So yesterday I actually created this exact idea before VladVega. No shade to them, just shade to Spotify. Spotify shadily marked my Idea as spam. I messaged them. They then changed my idea status to duplicate. Whatever. Shadesters being shady. I'm just going to post what was in my idea here because it clearly states what's wrong.

Recently, to the dismay of many devout users, the "Appears On" section was removed from the Artist page. Why? We have no idea. First, we were told it was a bug that would be fixed. Then, we were told it was intentional, with no plan on coming back.(https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Appears-On-feature-gone/m-p/4979329#M123026). The decision to remove this still hasn't fully been explained.

The necessity of this feature isn't really up for debate. @AnvilDay made some great points that I've pasted below (https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Appears-On-feature-gone/m-p/4979544/highlight/true#...

This is a critical function for browsing and discovering new music in many genres:

• Musical Theatre - most musical theatre soundtracks and cast albums have performances by several different artists.  Most of them will only appear on certain tracks.  It is important to be able to find all the cast albums that one artist is on, without having to go elsewhere, like Wikipedia or the internet musical theater database.
  • Classical - It is extremely common for classical albums to contain works by more than one composer.  It is also common for the performers on a classical album to be different for the different tracks.  Both composers and performers are tagged as "artists," and it's important to be able to browse by either one, and to see all the albums they appear on.  Classical fans that like a certain composer, like Eric Whitacre, want to find all the works by that composer.  And new works will often show up as one track on an album that contains works by several other composers.  
  • Popular music, with remixes and collaborations - others have mentioned how important this is to them as listeners and as artists.  I don't need to explain it further here.

And what about compilations with various artists!? The "Appears On" section was the easiest/most sensical way to find these songs.

There has been a lot of rightfully earned outrage over the removal of this feature, on both this forum as well as the Spotify subreddit. (https://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/search?q=appears%20on&restrict_sr=1

The solution is easy.

Stop removing features that aren't broken and bring this feature back. Plain and simple. The people want it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 3.25.42 PM.png