Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] Mono option for hearing impaired

Spotify needs to have a mono option for those of us who are hearing impaired. It is exclusionary otherwise!!!

Updated on 2021-04-05

Hey folks,

Thank you for your patience and support while we're looking into this.

Writing to share some great news and confirm this feature should now be available!

If you don’t see it on desktop right away, make sure to keep the app always updated.

Cheers 🙂

Comments
Rmbuda

Hi Tony,

dmorg pointed out that on iPhone you can change your settings to “Mono Audio” under the Accessibility panel in your settings. I found you can do the same thing on Android under accessibility - that worked for me.  Windows 10 also has "Mono Audio" under its accessibility options, but I have not tested this myself because I only use it for riding my bike.

Spotify should put this in their FAQ so people can find out about it.

lflfm_eur

Hi Rmbuda, that's very true.

Would still be nice to have this in the app, since accessibility options are generally there for people who really need them and are therefore not a very quick'n'easy thing to get to. Some people might just want mono audio sometimes and having something handy would really help...

Should be noted though, that only recent versions of Windows 10 for home usage; the corporate versions of Windows 10 do not have this feature. So people listening at work might be excluded and/or need to use their phones instead...

maxmaidment96
You cannot change audio to mono on many phones such as my honor 7. This is
the responsibility of Spotify not the phone manufacturer. Its a simple
option that should exist in-app.
pedro191933

Adding a mono option would be pretty useful. Don't know why it is marked as not important by the developers.

benhamine

:+1: would like

crumbs

this has been said before in other comments but i can't overstate enough this is really a key feature for headphone users. on desktop but ESPECIALLY on mobile this would be helpful. myself and many others i know who use spotify use either external speakers or nicer headphones/earbuds when listening on their computer, but use earphones such as apple earpods on mobile and earbuds like those are prone to breaking. there are many options for mono listening on other clients and even spotify offers mono versions of some albums alongside stereo versions, but this feature would really be a huge improvement and make the largest difference on mobile.

this feature would be so great for situations where you need to have one earbud in your ear and one out while listening to music, and not to mention the fact that if one of your earbuds shorts out spotify becomes completely unusable!!!

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2018-03-07

Hey folks, we're marking this as 'Case Closed' as it's had the status 'Not Right Now' for six years now. Of course should anything change about the ability to play in mono we will let you know here first. Thanks again for continuing to bring your feedback to the Spotify Exchange. Thanks!

Luan
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2020-09-18

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.
Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

james-whiteley

It isn’t a solution but as a temporary fix, a lot of devices have a mono option in their device accessibility settings. It’s system-wide but might be enough of a fix until Spotify implements this. Excellent idea though, I’d definitely benefit from this!

aroe831

This is an old thread, but it should be known that whatever device you're listening on has an option in its Accessibility options to push all audio through all apps as mono. iPhones in 2020 do this especially, which would in turn make Spotify do it. Happy listening.