Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] Mono option for hearing impaired

Spotify needs to have a mono option for those of us who are hearing impaired. It is exclusionary otherwise!!!

Updated on 2021-04-05

Hey folks,

Thank you for your patience and support while we're looking into this.

Writing to share some great news and confirm this feature should now be available!

If you don’t see it on desktop right away, make sure to keep the app always updated.

Cheers 🙂

Comments
BP86

Way to not support the disabled.

GiuseppeCanepa

I don't know why this isn't available yet. It is a basic feature for any music reproductor. I ask please to implement this as fast as possible 

axmanhorwath

You have hundreds of people that care about this to the point that they decide to spend this much time and effort for something that I feel like wouldn't be a terribly hard implementation. Doesn't make sense that it isn't even really being considered. I'm willing to bet that then there are thousands of people that have been inconvenienced by this. Just many people are too lazy to post things. I love Spotify more than any other provider of music and it is annoying that there isn't a simple mono vs stereo mode implemented. Yes it is like a mild inconvenience that is not a necessary feature for Spotify to function but those small conveniences are what makes people not only enjoy but appreciate the work you do as a company.

Aubynrl

I found a solution to you wanting to listen In mono sound if you own an iPhone. If you go to settings in your iPhone then go to general- accesability, under the headline “hearing” there’s an option for mono. If you turn that on, mono sound plays out your Spotify

dmorg
Thank you. That solution works if you are listening through earbuds, but doesn’t work when wirelessly steaming through a device such as Amazon Echo Dot connected to a stereo system.
Rmbuda

Need mono to listen with one ear when riding bike. Other ear listens to traffic 

dmorg
In this situation you, assuming you’re on an iPhone, you should be able to change to change your settings to “Mono Audio” under the Accessibility panel in your settings on your phone. This solution won’t work for me because in my case I’m using an external device (Echo Dot) to bridge my Spotify to my stereo to play music.
Castlew6
Is this issue by design? Such an easy solution but they're unwilling to do
it as it would enable multi room systems to serve more people in mono.
Thoughts?
sam_mason12

Mono audio would be a very good feature, as I am likely to use one earbud when I'm in public (or taking to someone), and only listening to half a song sucks

tony_pants

Nearly 6 years now  since this has been requested.  Spotify clearly couldn't give a **bleep** for their customers with deafness in one ear, it's disgraceful.