Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] Mono option for hearing impaired

Spotify needs to have a mono option for those of us who are hearing impaired. It is exclusionary otherwise!!!

Updated on 2021-04-05

Hey folks,

Thank you for your patience and support while we're looking into this.

Writing to share some great news and confirm this feature should now be available!

If you don’t see it on desktop right away, make sure to keep the app always updated.

Cheers 🙂

Comments
Rim4

8 year old thread.. why do Spotify even have a community forum at this point? The developers are obviously not interested.

Fayez1

Please support LG's WebOS tv models from 2.0 and above in "ALL REGIONS"

In the meantime, almost all phones, tablets, and computers have the mono setting that applies to ALL audio on that device, including Spotify, so you can toggle that on

H7p3ri0n

Mono is useless on the source side.

You can easily turn a 2 speakers system into mono, and even better : use an omnidirectional 360 connected speaker (like the excellent Bose Speaker 300 with Spotify Connect).

AudialGold

Playing in Mono is an Accessibility option on iOS/iPadOS/macOS; pretty sure I've seen the option in Android too, but I would have to double-check that in the morning. 

jbelanich

This is an essential accessibility feature. Every year, 60,000 individuals acquire single-sided deafness. In 1998 there was estimated 391,000 school-age children with single sided deafness. And these numbers are likely underestimates for your customer base in 2020.

WeedRapist

Both iOS and Windows can output mono: just look at the accessibility settings for each OS. I don't have an Android phone, but I imagine there's a similar option for it.

pporvas

I was born with only one ear, and not everybody wants me to hang around with a speaker so i can listen to "stereo" music (wich incidentally i have no clue what does it sound like), and headphones, well, they provide a limited musical experience, so yeah, please, please, please, give us the option to listen our tracks in mono.

Ashton727

How is it exclusionary.

AudialGold

@ashton272, when someone lives with a hearing impairment, that does not inherently mean that they are completely deaf, meaning they can still experience auditory sensations (i.e. listening to music). By not including options to modify the listening experience for people with such impairments, the service/product is exclusionary. Keep in mind, the word "exclusion" often has a negative connotation, but it simply means "to be left out". Thanks for asking. 🙂