Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Parental Controls

I love this service. My wife and I are both premium subscribers. I really hate being tied down to an archaic service like iTunes, but for my kids, I really have no choice. I would happily pay for more premium subscriptions for my kids to have their own Spotify accounts if there was a way I could make sure explicit songs are blocked. I dont care if this is a free feature, I am happy to pay for it. Until it exists or my kids get a lot older, its money you are leaving on the table Spotify. I have to think I am not the only parent who would be happy to pay for this. Seems easy enough to implement, so why not make it another reason to go premium?

Updated on 2020-09-14

Hey there folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your votes and comments to this idea.

We're happy to announce that this should be now implemented.  For more info, take a look here.

Keep in mind that you can always share a new idea if there's any specific feature you're missing.

Thanks, and happy listening!

Comments
Mark_Hazeldine

What this system needs is for the ability to switch between accounts on apps on all devices, the ability to add kids accounts to the desktop app as well as the kids app for mobile devices, and the ability to manage parental controls for all accounts. In my house we have the kids wanting to listen to their songs on the desktop PC or Kindle Fire Stick in the lounge, while my wife is listening to music in the bedroom getting ready for the day, and I'm in my office listening to a podcast. It's kind of getting there, in that there is an explicit lyrics filter now available and there are kids accounts and a kids app for mobile, but the whole experience still feels very bitty and not connected across all devices like most families consume their music. 

ParentalControl

We need a explicit album art filter!

Must blur the explicit cover art (per user feed back or publisher toggle)

OR 

Setting to block all Cover art.

OR

Modify low bandwidth mode to block all album art.

AND

We need to be able to flag Explicit Album Artwork!

ParentalControl

This seems to be the only current solution since Spotify doesn't care.

How to block images with Web player and google chrome:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/114662?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en-GB

How to block images in Microsoft Edge (chrome):

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-manage-site-permissions-new-microsoft-edge#manage_sites_permissio...

Cool thing is that this also block advertisement images too 🙂  But it doesn't block the playing of ads. So it's a nice in between. That being said, it looks like the web player could be the safest version even though it's limited in features and only works on windows and mac and linux. So far no solution for ios or android ;-\

senor_pete

@ParentalControl - you do realise there are Kids accounts now

@Mark_Hazeldine - which music service offers this ? it sounds like you want a Netflix kind of account in account solution...? Open the App, chose the user...

Apple Music doesn't offer this either...which seems the only viable competition

ParentalControl

Kids accounts don't solve the problem completely. Need more modular approach where you can block certain ones specifically in addition to just kids mode.

Mario
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2020-09-14

Hey there folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your votes and comments to this idea.

We're happy to announce that this should be now implemented.  For more info, take a look here.

Keep in mind that you can always share a new idea if there's any specific feature you're missing.

Thanks, and happy listening!

pkempf

Spotify for kids is too limited for 13+.  Do we really have to allow access to podcast **bleep** for our older children?  Spotify needs to enable blocking of explicit podcasts asap.    Hopefully apple music will do better for us.

sundog888
After YEARS of Spotify not taking filtering for kids serious - I cancelled our Family Premium account. Good bye Spotify
Bobunnie

Agree 100% that there needs to be better control around content to block and remove (after it is viewed/listened to)... 100% disagree that it should be an extra charge.  The safety of our children should be a given, not an opportunity to charge your customers more.  Not making this a basic function would be irresponsible at best.

ParentalControl

After long time more privacy controls have been added which can help protect minors.

Privacy & Social controls - Spotify