[All Platforms][Playlists] Playlists within a playlist

It would be nice to be able to create smaller playlists within a playlist.

So you would still have the main playlist with all the songs you've added to it but you can then sort the songs already in the main playlist into other smaller playlists within the main one and you can choose which smaller playlists are playing within the main playlist.

So lets say you have a playlist called XYZ and you have 100 songs in that playlist but you want to organise those 100 songs into 5 smaller playlists within playlist XYZ. Then lets suppose you just want to listen to the songs in playlists 2 and 3  from those 5 smaller playlits, then you would choose playlists 2 and 3 from playlist XYZ.

So you would be listening to the songs in the main playlist but you have the ability to make a more narrow selection of the songs you want to listen to but you would still have all the songs in the main playlist.

You can still make as many main playlists as you want obviously but you would also have the chance to organise the main playlist. This means you wouldn't have to make separate main playlists having to add the same song several times. I believe it would be very helpful.

Playlists within a playlist.jpg

Updated on 2020-07-22

Hey @criis_iba 

As mentioned, playlist folders are already available in Spotify. In the Desktop app, right click in the playlists area, and you'll find the option to create a playlist folder. Once created, you can drag and drop playlists to the folder for better management.

Hope it helps. 🙂

folders_twitter.png

Comments
LittleDeggles

In theory you can sort of do this with folders. That is, you can have a folder F with a folder X with playlist A,B,C in it, and a folder Y with playlist D, E in it.  But the folder function is not very functional except for organising. So rather than reinvent sub-lists I'd like to support this idea with the following small changes:

1) Provide the ability to "play all" playlists (or folders) in a folder. At the moment you can do this on the desktop (great!) but not the app (boo!). 

2) Provide the ability to "select and play" playlists (or folders) in a folder.  So in folder view there would be a checkbox to select and that triggers the "play selected" button instead of "play all".

The final feature I'd request is the ability to navigate to the containing folder from that playlist in the App.

criis_iba
Casual Listener

Thank you for your feedback!

I'd like to ask, how do you make folders? I didn't know this was possible.

osornios
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2020-07-22

Hey @criis_iba 

As mentioned, playlist folders are already available in Spotify. In the Desktop app, right click in the playlists area, and you'll find the option to create a playlist folder. Once created, you can drag and drop playlists to the folder for better management.

Hope it helps. 🙂

folders_twitter.png

Edwin71
Casual Listener

The OP also wanted the ability to play multiple selected sublists:

@criis_iba wrote:

Then lets suppose you just want to listen to the songs in playlists 2 and 3  from those 5 smaller playlits, then you would choose playlists 2 and 3 from playlist XYZ.

Is this an implemented idea? I don't think so, so why is this idea marked as implemented?? As usual you're only reading half of the useful customer requests.
Any decent music service and application has the ability to add individual songs, albums and entire playlists to the current (dynamic) playlist, aka "Now playing" or "Play queue", but not in Spotify. Apologies if it is possible, then the problem is that I cannot find the way to do it (and please, creating a new playlist for this purpose is not a solution).

The concept of the play queue is that it is dynamic and that you can add anything to it (or replace it with anything for that matter).