Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Synced History across all Devices

Create a "unified play history" that consolidates history from phone, tablet, laptop, etc., so that you have a real history of your listening on Spotify.

This was previously suggested and did not receive enough "kudos" and was recently made an "inactive idea". But I'm surprised it isn't already a standard feature. 

Updated on 2021-07-28

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this one!

You'll be happy to know that the icon_recently_played.png Recently played destination on mobile now reflects your listening history across all devices. There's more info here.

Right now, it’s available only on Android and iOS, but we’ll check back here with an update, should this change in the future.

Happy listening 🎶

Comments
codeman72

I would really like this to be added, as well.  I listen to Spotify at work.  It is my main source of discovering music that is new to me.  It would be very helpful to pick up where I left off at home on the weekend.

MatthewHansen

Spotify's CEO, Danile Ek, on the Freakonomics podcast titled "How Spotify Saved the Music Industry (But Not Necessarily Musicians) (Ep. 374)", around the 42:20 minute mark, says the following about Spotify's obligations regarding customer data:

DUBNER: Can you talk about Spotify customer data? What do you have and what do you do with it?

EK: Well, what we do with it now is very tightly regulated because we’re originally a European company and in Europe, I believe, five or six years ago there was a new initiative called G.D.P.R. that officially became a law some time April, May I believe last year. And obviously we’re complying with that. And what it basically says is that all the data that we have around you as a customer, you need to be able to ask us for it and we need to deliver it back to you. 

Please respond with how I, as a customer, can request my complete play history. Although I'd prefer that it be viewable in the app, I'm happy to receive a CSV or other export while waiting for this enhancement to be implemented.

Thanks,

Matt

MatthewHansen

Anyone still interested in this and willing to download the data instead of seeing it in the app should check out this article:

https://support.spotify.com/us/account_payment_help/privacy/data-rights-and-privacy-settings/

From there you can get instructions on how to download, among other things, 

"A list of items (e.g. songs, videos, and podcasts) listened to or watched in the past 90 days, including:

1. Name of "creator" for each stream (e.g. the artist name if a music track).
  2. Name of items listened to or watched (e.g. title of music track or name of video). 
  3. Date and time of the stream."

Hope that helps.

codeman72

@MatthewHansen wrote:

Anyone still interested in this and willing to download the data instead of seeing it in the app should check out this article:

https://support.spotify.com/us/account_payment_help/privacy/data-rights-and-privacy-settings/

From there you can get instructions on how to download, among other things, 

"A list of items (e.g. songs, videos, and podcasts) listened to or watched in the past 90 days, including:

1. Name of "creator" for each stream (e.g. the artist name if a music track).
  2. Name of items listened to or watched (e.g. title of music track or name of video). 
  3. Date and time of the stream."

Hope that helps.

Thank you, Matt!  FYI, clicking on your link doesn't seem to work, but if you copy the address into a browser that seems to work.  The hyperlink must be different than the address in your note.

~Shawn

MatthewHansen
Fixed the link in my post. Are you able to fix the one in the quote as well?
codeman72

@MatthewHansen I fixed the one in the quote.  Thanks!

stereolense

Still no update on this? Is it really that hard to do? I wish I could ditch last.fm.

7d_kmw8q-r17l

I think this is such a basic and useful feature (And probably quite easy to implement) Not sure how it is not in yet...

What's the idea of having listening history if it's only on the Desktop app?

I could live with "separate" listening history per device but currently I don't have a listening history in the mobile app.

The algorithm sometimes work so nice and pick lovely and new songs/artists to listen to while I'm driving but then I can't see which song/artist was I listening to. It's such annoying....

ethornett

Oh my goodness YES THIS. I cannot tell you the number of times I hear something I like while I’m in the car listening to my ‘release radar’ and ‘discover weekly’ playlists, then forget to like/add it when I get to my destination, and then find the the playlist has refreshed and the song is gone forever. If I’d been listening using the desktop app, no problem. But because I was listening on my mobile via Apple Carplay, no dice. It’s sooooooooo frustrating.

saxophore

How come so few have backed this. It is an essential feature in my view and potentially a reason for me to move away from Spotify. I often let Spotify in the driving seat, especially when I'm driving, but then I'd like to review some titles I've heard.

I'm sure Spotify has the data available. Why not let us see it? As a Premium user I expect no less.